Dalvitan Authority Fleet

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Siber
Captain
Captain

Dalvitan Authority Fleet

Post by Siber »

Begin copycat sci-fi(with permission)

And if anyone gets the references scattered through here, awesome!

Dalvitan Authority at a Glance:
Population: Unknown due to incomplete census. Over 80 billion on several thousand habitats, 6 heavily settled member planetoids.
Sphere of Influence: A roughly potato-shaped region extending 106 LY on the long axis and 64 LY on the short. Exact borders under dispute.
Demographic Breakdown 54% Sbera, 24% Shimian, 13% Faladhi, 9% other/mixed
Current Capitol: Dalvitan Authority Federal Habitat 000

History:

The Dalvita region has long been noted to a below-average distribution of habitable worlds. As such, early settlement focused not on planetary colonization, but on asteroidal mining colonies, orbital habitats, and generation ships plying the stars. No central government held sway over any significant portion of the region.

The highly decentralized system, in infrastructure, culture, and government, served the inhabitants well, on a whole, for longer than anyone expected. While ambitious neighbors periodically attempted to conquer the region, they were always repulsed with surprising force by small groups banding together into fierce but temporary mutual defense agreements. But approximately 120 years ago, increasing attention from powers such as the Faladhi Empire made it clear that a region-wide unified defense was required.

Representatives were called from all major groups in the region to deliberate on the solution, and out of that conference came the Dalvitan Authority, an elected federal government with limited powers for taxation, army raising, and making of treaties with foreign powers. Most domestic affairs were left in the hands of the smaller governments jostling for power inside the domain of the Authority, but even so its legitimacy was not universally accepted, and even today there are enclaves within its borders that continue to withhold their support.

The detractors feared a growing big government, slowly taking away the rights of its member states, and in some degree they have been proven right. As time passes, the Authority has expanded it's domain into various social programs, and expanded its taxing powers to support them. Yet compared to other governments of similar size, it has relatively small impact on individual lives within it.

Military Structure:
The Dalvitan Authority is currently an all volunteer force, primarily space based with little in the way of atmospheric forces. There are provisions in place for a draft, if necessary, but they have never yet been invoked.

When the Authority was first formed, the need for a standing fleet was perceived to be quite high, and it was considered too slow and inefficient to start from scratch at the time. Faced with impending threats and limited time, the leadership enlisted the existing militia forces of its members and contracted with the shipyards that had been supplying them.

At first the change was little more than a new paint scheme, with each small area of the region home to drastically different fleet compositions. However, over time the Authority homogenized it's fleet, phasing out inferior designs and increasing demand on the shipyards that produce superior craft. This has put many of the early shipyards out of business, and raised a select few above the others.

The competition over defense contracts has become a defining force for the Dalvitan fleet and economy both, with shifting ship styles and corporate prominence.

Ship Construction:
Dalvitan weapons technology has lagged behind their neighbors somewhat, limiting them on a whole to pulse guns, blasters, and mining beams for primary armament, with an handful of proprietary weapons in the hands of the various shipyards.

What the Dalvitan ships lack in firepower, however, they make up for in armor. The hallmark of a Dalvitan warship is a heavily armored prow that can soak up damage well in excess of what would crack open other ships. Weapons are hidden behind this heavy shell, or sometimes on more lightly armored protrusions extending past the heaviest armor.

Dalvitan ships are frequently vulnerable to flanking maneuvers due to the concentration of armor towards the front, but mount weapon batteries aft to help combat this weakness. Advanced active systems are virtually unknown to the Dalvitans, though advances are being made towards weapon booster technology.

Dalvitan Fleet Database
Calsta Industries
(1) PT-M Fabuloso Missile Patrolcraft
(2) DD-HM Fire Eagle Heavy Destroyer
(3) CA-S Unbroken Standoff Cruiser

DCS Shipyards
(1) PT-B Ray Beam Patrolcraft
(4) BB-CQ Thinking Close Quarters Battleship
(4) BB-A Ideas Assault Battleship
(6) DN-HA Knowledge Heavy Assault Dreadnought

Download Fleet Pack 1 here
DATABASE INCOMPLETE
AWAIT FURTHER TRANSMISSIONS
ADDITIONAL
Experimental warships do not always see their baptism by fire, and many never leave the drafting screen. The Dalvitan Authority is no stranger to these facts, and over time has come accrued a substantial library of prototypes and failed designs. Most never see the light of day, but some are revealed either accidentally, for publicity, or because their release is deemed to no longer be a security threat.

Experimental Ship Database
DCS Shipyards
SDX-A Assault Superdreadnought 003

END DATABASE

Notes: I've got more ships on the way, I've just got to balance them. Any comments on the Fire Eagle are welcomed, and soon enough I'll have another ship or six up here. I've already got a couple almost ready. The numbers on the fleet database are the estimated point values, ala stock ship selection screens. Once I get five ships up, I'll make a package for them all. Until then, each ship will be available from the individual write up.

Experimental ships included here are made for fun by me, in the Dalvitan style, but are not balanced and are not fielded by their fleet. While most of my ships are meticulously detailed with HP by section and put through several rounds of balancing tests, they are not.

If anyone likes the color scheme, use these values in your bfconfig.ini

Code: Select all

1blue = 77.52
1green = 76.50
1red = 77.52
2blue = 255
2green = 87.72
2red = 0
3blue = 255
3green = 255
3red = 255
Though that won't look quite right with different glow colors. I use

Code: Select all

[Glow Colour]
blue = 196.86
green = 196.86
red = 196.86

But that might make your own ships look funky. Your millage may vary.
Last edited by Siber on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 16 times in total.
seriously Anna. seriously oh my gawd seriously.

Author of DAF and Sillyness
Co-founder Homeworld:@
Atrum
Captain
Captain

Post by Atrum »

Whoa, lots of data, history... Nice

The ship is nice too.
Siber
Captain
Captain

Post by Siber »

INCOMING DATABASE UPDATE

Fabuloso Missile Patrolcraft
As production on the Fire Eagle was ramping up, the engineers of Calsta immediately set about integrating the Firestorm technology into other hulls. The Fabluoso Missile Patrolcraft was the first result of this effort.

The Fabuloso mounts a single Firestorm launcher behind a heavy armor plate, though due to space restrictions on the smaller hull it is loads noticeably slower than the ones on the Fire Eagle. Opposite the launcher is found a single laser turret, useful against targets that close inside the Firestorm's optimum range.

The Fabuloso's distinctive asymmetric hull is fast becoming a familiar sight to those on the borders of Dalvitan space, as they are easy to produce and have been shown to be quite effective in combat trials.

A Fabuloso on patrol

A test firing of a Fabuloso's weapons.

Siber
Captain
Captain

Post by Siber »

Unbroken Standoff Cruiser

After the success of the Fire Eagle and the other Firestorm equipped ships, Calsta industries finally had the cash for more ambitious R&D projects. Hoping to capitalize on the success of the Firestorm, they focused efforts on more specialized weapons systems, and this plan soon bore fruits, giving Calsta the edge it needed to awarded a new battleship contract.

Under the armored shell of it's outer hull, the Unbroken Standoff Cruiser houses three High Accuracy Large Beam Emitters, or HALBEs. These weapons allow pinpoint strikes against targets at long ranges, but have relatively low damage for weapons of the type, take a significant amount of time to recycle, and addition to having a rather confined field of fire. To protect the craft against targets that manage to evade the HALBE battery, it is equipped with the standard Dalvitan mixture of pulse guns and micro-beams, making a close approach a tricky affair.

While the Unbroken is only just beginning to find it's way into fleet, combat trials and simulations have convinced planners that it will be a significant asset to the fleet.

An Unbroken in formation with a pair of Fire Eagles.

The HABLE array on hazard-clearing duty.
Last edited by Siber on Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

I love your ice blue/gray color scheme.
goduranus
Captain
Captain

Post by goduranus »

shouldn't you call that a cruiser? it's a bit small for a battleship.
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

Bombardment cruiser seems to come to mind for me.
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
Siber
Captain
Captain

Post by Siber »

The Unbroken actually has more HP than the Cronus, beats the Hecate and Arcus in battle, heavily wounds the Cronus, and with a human pilot can handily take down a Peitho, though the AI can't often manage it. So if it's a cruiser, it's a damned powerful one. But I don't think it is one. Well, see for yourself.

Judge for yourself, I guess, but the evidence seems pretty clear to me.

TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

To BF they are battleships, but to Cold War People there cruisers.
Crazykenny
Captain
Captain

Post by Crazykenny »

In Cold War terms thats more like a frigate :P
[img]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q168/thedrofevil/BOS4copy.png[/img]
Talhydras
Commander
Commander

Post by Talhydras »

Dude, he can call it a banana hammock for all he cares, it's his ship. Moreover he's balanced it to the stock battleships in terms of size and capability... so... it can pretty much be called a battleship.
Crazykenny
Captain
Captain

Post by Crazykenny »

I wasnt offending his ship smartass, I was just stating how big ships in the Cold War are. :?
[img]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q168/thedrofevil/BOS4copy.png[/img]
Monkey
Commander
Commander

Post by Monkey »

Why would any but me call a ship a banana hammok :?
I'm an idiot who tried to embed flash in his signature, nevermind the fact that wouldn't work even if the code tags were removed.
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

'Cold War' ship designations are a load of bollocks.
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
The Boz
Captain
Captain

Post by The Boz »

Aralonia wrote:Cold War is a load of bollocks.
There, fixed your typo.
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!