Help with weapon stats

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Help with weapon stats

Post by Kiltric »

I've been working on some metagame ships and I was wondering if someone could double check some things for me.

From what I understand the reload counters of most weapons begins after the last shot has fired, so that the total firing+reload time in seconds equals (((clip size-1)*firing rate) + reload) / 30. Also, for beam weapons, the reload counter begins as soon as the weapon begins firing, so that, (assuming reload is greater than beam duration), the total time is simply reload/30. I ask for verification to make sure that I'm doing this correctly.

Also, based on these questions, I have calculated the dps of the weapon sets posted in Horsemonster's metagame thread here http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4897 and I would appreciate if someone could double-check these for me.

The forumula I used (with the exception of the laser and the drone weapon) was DPS=(damage*clip size)/(((clip size*firing rate)+reload)/30)

Autocannon 12.86
H. Autocannon 26.67
Vulcan 19.83
H. Vulcan 25.81
Artillery 9
Repeating Artillery 14.4
Missile Launcher 7.06
H. Missile Array 13.41
High Energy Laser 18

All help is appreciated.
Last edited by Kiltric on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

I don't know about the recoil equations, but i believe the animations are speed up or slowed down to be appropriate for the fire rate.
As for the rest, remember DPS is only the maximum DPS, for a 100% accurate fire. Which few of them are. So including maximum shot deviation in would be a good idea.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Then you believe wrongly. All weapons animate at 0.5x normal speed with the sole exception of the Vulcan, which animates at 1x normal speed.

Assuming you mean reload, not recoil, then yes, reloading starts once the last shot has been fired for projectiles, and as soon as the beam fires for beams.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

You almost got it right, DPS=(damage*clip size)/((((clip size-1)*firing rate)+reload)/30). The formula works for any weapon, although it does not accurately reflect the damage dealt by weapons with AOE.
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Curvy Alien Fleet: viewtopic.php?t=4959
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Thank you Arcalane for pointing out the idiocy of my sleep-deprived brain, I did in fact mean reload.

Water_and_Wind, thank you, so I take that to mean that the firing rate only applies between shots, and not after them, is that correct?
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Silverware wrote:As for the rest, remember DPS is only the maximum DPS, for a 100% accurate fire. Which few of them are. So including maximum shot deviation in would be a good idea.
I have thought about this and worked out the maximum spread of fire at the maximum range for each weapon except for missiles and drones. I was working off of the assumption that the deviation was the amount a shot could be off in either direction, rather than the total possible arc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The number I calculated was (sin(2 deviation))*(Range/sin(90-deviation)) which is the total lateral distance between the possible firing vectors at maximum range. This was the most logical number I could think of to account for the accuracy of a weapon. Naturally this still depends upon the size of the target, but if anyone has an alternate suggestion I'll gladly hear it.

Stats follow, smaller numbers indicate greater accuracy for those who cba to read the above.

Autocannon 37
H. Autocannon 30
Vulcan 113
H. Vulcan 105
Artillery 42
Repeating Artillery 105
H.E. Laser 56
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

Not to just be argumentative, but I've noticed that when you use an animated sprite for the missile launcher, it plays the reload/recoil animation after every shot, at least when the fire rate is low.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

parameciumkid wrote:Not to just be argumentative, but I've noticed that when you use an animated sprite for the missile launcher, it plays the reload/recoil animation after every shot, at least when the fire rate is low.
I'm not sure how this is relevant at all, but I'll explain why it happens;

When a weapon fires, it resets the animation to it's first frame, sets the animation speed to 0.5 and then plays the animation. Each time it fires, it does the same thing, so if an animation is in progress, it gets reset back to square one, unsurprisingly.

That's why the first frame for a gif turret is always (or should be) inanimate; it's used as the 'idle' frame.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ