Random acts of violence with Shipmaker

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

The front of that last ship looks kinda weird because the shades of grey used for those sections are lighter than the rest of the ship. It makes the ship look... lopsided, if you get what I mean.
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Good stuff man. Now let's work on some flow.
The following shows some parts that stood out to me.
Bentusi
BANNED
Location: Recon mission in Galaxy NGC-276 "Canmus", sector 4.

Post by Bentusi »

is a spaceship, don't need Aerodynamics , the actual desingn looks great :wink:
I was banned for bandodging.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

It's not about aerodynamics.
It's about aesthetics. You want to have good flow in your ships so they look good. Good flow will guide your eyes through the ship more naturally.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Actually, the flow on that ship looks fine. As in the sections actually flow together properly to make a convincing looking shape, rather than just looking like a mess of random parts. If we're to accept your proposal, then we can never have ship shapes that end in anything but arrowheads, 25000st. Thank you for demonstrating you don't know ship about aesthetics.

jwa. I think you might finally have found your niche. Your blocky terran ships were bland and lacking in flavour and details that catch the eye, but these alien ships have interesting shapes and the designs flow together fairly well. They're not perfect, but they're not bad, either. The newest on in particular is quite well done, imo.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

The sections DO flow together. That's not what I was talking about.
I was talking about the shape. The front Does Not flow well with the rest of the ship. Also, you will not end up with arrowheaded ships if you take my proposal.
I may explain in further detail when I feel like it.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

I like this new ship, it has a "hostile" feel to it. The murky center core has alot of potential for what it can be made into (thunderbolts, etc). Those subtle purple glows are nice, could use more of then around the outer-mid-back area.

The only thing that irks me are the sets of spikes around the outer-middle area, where it's somewhat separated by black line from another sprite. Perhaps cover it with a purple team-color stripe?

Other than that, keep it up! I'd have to agree with Anna, these are far more interesting than the previous ships.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Lets see if I can get all this.
@Imailusion: I see what you mean; I was going for a raised front but I see no harm in toning the white spots down.
@25000st: Don't worry, I think I get what you aiming at. The spikes are an easy fix, though originally it was going to be stationary so I didn't really want a streamlined look. As for the front, I'm not seeing an easy way to change the existing curves, but perhaps I could add something in between those front two red marks to change the 'flow' without removing either the 'upper' or 'lower' curves.
@Bentusi: Thanks!
@Anna: Thanks. I'm actually really uncomfortable making alien ships because i can't picture them as easily as how I want the Terran ships to turn out. They end up being a lot easier to make though so you may be right.
@LT: I definitly agree about distributing glows through the rest of the ship. Its easily done, just didn't bother to yet. I'm not totally sure I see what you mean about the spikes, but I'll probably do some work on them anyway so no problem. Oh and your right about the shading on the Nagaya3...that is what I was going for, but I'll try to fix that. In this case little or no shading wouldn't hurt it as much as poorly thought out shading.
Bentusi
BANNED
Location: Recon mission in Galaxy NGC-276 "Canmus", sector 4.

Post by Bentusi »

25000st wrote:It's not about aerodynamics.
It's about aesthetics. You want to have good flow in your ships so they look good. Good flow will guide your eyes through the ship more naturally.
I Understand, but are softened with an alien race of alien technology, not the typical human ships that lack these strange and interesting aggregates of an unknown race. Sometimes it is better than one vessel is rare and has some flaws, for example look at any capital ship, carrier, frigate and battlecruiser of Homeworld2, they all have the bridge very vulnerable and visible (located in a stupid way outside the ship), so that in reality would be destroyed with a few shots and the ship would be disabled on a few moments, yet the ships are very nice, as they are.

Of course, this is my way of seeing and not all think the same. :wink:

oh and another thing, I would love to post the download link to the file. shp and .sb4 (PLEASE!) to use your ship as a basis for new creations, I just love that design. :D
I was banned for bandodging.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I'm working on it Bentusi; haven't been home much to put in the balancing time.

This is just a rough skeleton. Yes/no?
If I follow through with this one, and can get the triggers to work, may have this transform with the wings moving inward. Not sure yet.

*edit* Another rough skeleton
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

That second-to-last ship, to me, looks back to front, in that the "front" looks like an area where you would put thrusters, and the "back" looks like the front of the ship, due to its pointy sections and curving lines :?

Its the same with the last ship as well, both ends of that ship could be acceptable as the front or back

Not that it is a major problems, they're still good ships
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Here's a tip for the second ship and a general rule. The part where your ship shape peaks should be past the middle or in other words the shape should peak in the back half of your ship. Hear, you've got it in the front half.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

25000st wrote:Here's a tip for the second ship and a general rule. The part where your ship shape peaks should be past the middle or in other words the shape should peak in the back half of your ship. Hear, you've got it in the front half.
That seems more like an issue of taste than of quality. Also, I'm not sure he needs his ears to read.
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

First rough skeleton looks more promising if you continue to work on the front and back.
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Curvy Alien Fleet: viewtopic.php?t=4959
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

Now this is nice. What plans do you have for the "superweapon"? It does have that "tough business" look to it.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858