My first decent looking ship

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Destroyer #1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

My first decent looking ship

Post by Destroyer #1 »

OK, My first decent ship basicly
feel free to tell me any thing I could do to make it better
and I will do my best to improve it.

thanks.
Battle Ship.sb4
(71.67 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Battle Ship.shp
(60.55 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Here is a picture(not at default zoom).
Here is a picture(not at default zoom).
Edit: oops forgot the sprites...
sprites.zip
Tell me if I am missing any thing.
(852.79 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Re: My first decent looking ship

Post by Imaillusion »

...yeah, it's not as good as you think. To point out the main problems, you've used the sections in such a way that they fit really badly with each other. The shading is not consistent, like how there are the very dark sections around the middle, it looks out of place. Some of the turrets (the missile pods, really), are spammed a bit too much. And so on...(the style doesn't look good, the aegis'd beamer weapons looks out of place, etc)

On the upside, the actual shape doesn't look too bad, and as for the rest of the turrets, they seem well placed and spaced.
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Leave the judging to everyone else, Destroyer. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :wink: .

As for the ship, first off, Yes, Anna, you're right DST and TSA_Uraki do not go together. Uraki is flat and nearly dimensionless, DST is almost 3-D. Aside from that, there's not coherent layout to the ship. While you did have some intresting patterns here and there, you need to build it so the sprites reasonably mesh together; which they do not right now. It looks like tossed salad.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Wow did he edit his post to say something different or are you guys just in a harsh mood? I mean I agree about the ships problems but shooting him down for calling it his first decent ship is hardly fair considering hes posted what, two other ships?

The first thing that strikes me besides weapons is that you could accomplish the same design with far fewer sections. I'll download it and see how it handles.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Well, it is definitely your best ship yet. You've gotten a lot of things right since last time. I think the main things here are, as said, the section usage, and also that yellow, it's way too saturated.

My advice would be to try a smaller ship and put more attention into the sections. Personally, and I'm not saying you have to do this, but I spend a few minutes on each section I place deciding if it's right and how exactly to use it, unless I'm really on a roll with an idea.

Develop good form first, then try larger ships.
Destroyer #1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Destroyer #1 »

OK, thanks for the advice.
Destroyer #1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Destroyer #1 »

I might be mistaken But I have not seen a lot of smaller ships. Could you post some links to a few?
Thanks.
Destroyer #1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Destroyer #1 »

I think this is to big but since I already have it built ill get some opinions.
SMscreen03.png
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

It actually has rather good flow. Try building more ships like this, and maybe add some colour while you're at it. Also, please crop your screenshots.
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Curvy Alien Fleet: viewtopic.php?t=4959
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929
Red-Bom-Omb
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Red-Bom-Omb »

Ok,I have two problems with it.

1.Imaillusion is right,too many spammed weapons.
2.The color scheme...?
Why do I always forget things!
Snopel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Snopel »

Well to me it looks great and also I wouldn't call it weapon spam because it looks capitol ship size and most engineers normally wouldn't send a ship out with a small amount of weapons. The biggest thing i see is those 3 mini-missiles that are all crammed together,could delete the middle one.
Destroyer #1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Destroyer #1 »

Here is another ship I made; comments or crits?
SMscreen04.png
SMscreen04.png (12.06 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
If any one wants the files I'll post them.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

The one before this last one was better than this I'd say. That one, if given some attention, nice colouring, a bit of detailing using smaller sprites as overlay and some just poking out underneath too to give a better sense of depth, and maybe one or two sprite swaps, would be a very nice little ship. Looking at it more actually the latest one does have some potential too. Trying downloading some of the better beauty pageant ships and taking them apart in shipmaker to see how some of these kind of things are achieved. (You will find better ships than most trawling round the forums, but I just used the BP as an example since it's recent, and has a handful of very nice looking ships.)
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
Destroyer #1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Destroyer #1 »

I changed my most recent ship a bit
Any suggestions?

Thanks
SMscreen05.png
SMscreen05.png (12.42 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
Attachments
Jump Unit.shp