PinkFlowerPrincess makes Spaceships!

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

PinkFlowerPrincess makes Spaceships!

Post by Anna »

I thought I'd try my hand at this whole shipbuilding thing!

Razor Blossom-class Assault Cruiser

Rose Cathedral - WIP

C&C requested! :)
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Maart3n
BANNED

Re: PinkFlowerPrincess makes Spaceships!

Post by Maart3n »

PinkFlowerPrincess wrote:I thought I'd try my hand at this whole shipbuilding thing!
Hmm, I always thougth those 2300 posts included ships, silly me.

I really like the first one, kinda reminds me of an Eldar falcon. Still the shape is great and it has awesome flow.
The second one I don't like as a whole, I like some bits of it yet others ruin it.
I mean I love those antena things on the bridge, and that cannon(?) infront of it. But those repeated square sections look awefull.
I love the flow in the back, yet I hate the tiny engines.

Anyway you're of to a good start PFP.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

More progress on the Cathedral, I see. As I've said on IRC, the bridge is looking good. Though the front area of it could probably benefit from a more complex-looking repetition. Try replacing every second one of those blocky sections with an exposed gray section?
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

The first ship is very nice. I like how the glowy doodads are used and also the overall shape. I also like how the side wings are connected to the main hull by those 4 little sections. Maybe you could make those wings moving by opening and closing, like a defensive shell, or something

The second ship... probaly needs a bit more work done on it. The repetition of sections at the front is unattractive. Also, there is no shading at the front so it looks kinda bland. The back looks fine as it is
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

First ship is pretty cool but IMO there are too many stripes. I like how you did the understructure or whatever you want to call it.

Second ship is... not good. The section-work is messy and the internal details have no flow. The three vents(?) on the side of the wings are also not really working with the ship as a whole. All in all, great concept, bad execution.

Both ships are also feeling rather monotone. I would add some green bits but that's up to you. :wink:
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I kind of like the use of the stock 9s. Could you maybe make it so each pair has the flat side back to back with the sloping side out? Like you did on the first pair, if what I said didn't make sense.
The Kae dtl 20s feel like they could be pushed in a little so the bottom of them isnt showing cuz thats the one area where the gray sections seem to overwhelm the design, but that might just be me.
I really like the way you did the engines on the wings; very much looks like armor over partially exposed machinery. Might I suggest a more aggressive curve to the wings though, at least in the front? Changing the back might ruin it but the front is rather anticlimactic.
Not sure how I feel about that nose and centerline but maybe its just the lack of massive beam emitters.
First ship is masterful!
Anna

Post by Anna »

Oh my, such harsh criticism. I'll try to address some of this in my usual, chipper, friendly style. :)
maart3n wrote:Hmm, I always thougth those 2300 posts included ships, silly me.
Oh, you are a sharp one! I can't get anything past you! teehee~
maart3n wrote:I really like the first one, kinda reminds me of an Eldar falcon. Still the shape is great and it has awesome flow.
:oops: Oh dear, now that you mention it I do see the resemblance. It wasn't my intention to duplicate the Eldar falcon, but yeah, they certainly look similar...
maart3n wrote:The second one I don't like as a whole, I like some bits of it yet others ruin it.
I mean I love those antena things on the bridge, and that cannon(?) infront of it. But those repeated square sections look awefull.
I love the flow in the back, yet I hate the tiny engines.
The "cannon" in the front of the bridge is actually the command deck. I plan to add doodad lights and stuff there. I'm not sure why everyone hates on the repeated square sections, since a small section tiled a mere seven times is not exactly the end of the world, and far worse cases of excessive repetition are routinely ignored. But perhaps this is something I need to consider fixing, if everyone dislikes it. I disagree regarding the engines, however.
STARSTRUCK wrote:More progress on the Cathedral, I see. As I've said on IRC, the bridge is looking good. Though the front area of it could probably benefit from a more complex-looking repetition. Try replacing every second one of those blocky sections with an exposed gray section?
Thank you! I'll consider that. It might look better.
25000st wrote:First ship is pretty cool but IMO there are too many stripes. I like how you did the understructure or whatever you want to call it.
Too many stripes? And yet it's too monotone as well? Make up your mind, please.
25000st wrote:Second ship is... not good. The section-work is messy and the internal details have no flow.
You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
jwa8402 wrote:The Kae dtl 20s feel like they could be pushed in a little so the bottom of them isnt showing cuz thats the one area where the gray sections seem to overwhelm the design, but that might just be me.
I've been thinking that this might be a good idea, and those sections have been bugging me, but until now no-one else had commented on them, so I was thinking it might have just been me. ^^; Guess not! I may replace those sections, but I'm not sure yet. They definitely look awkward right now.

Anyway, the second ship is still very much a work in progress. I'll be expanding it forward and probably out to the sides. Not sure how, yet. Still experimenting. There will probably be an update coming later today.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

I'm really liking the way you did the markings, it adds to the flow of the ship.
The Rose Cathedral looks great, and I really liked the idea of the command deck, I'd really like to see how that turns out.
The central body also looks vaguely like something the Covenant could have made.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Anna

Post by Anna »

AlphaDetisMegas wrote:I'm really liking the way you did the markings, it adds to the flow of the ship.
The Rose Cathedral looks great, and I really liked the idea of the command deck, I'd really like to see how that turns out.
The central body also looks vaguely like something the Covenant could have made.
Yeah, I quite like the markings too! ^^ I don't know why a certain person dislikes them. Command deck on the Rose Cathedral's getting there. Added some little doodad lights, but it's not quite finished, yet. And... hm, I guess it does look a little Covenant-ish.

Anyway, guys, here's an update!
I messed around with the colouring some and added bits to the side. I'm uncertain about them, so they may stay or go or be altered significantly depending on the feedback I get. :) Did my best to follow the advice that I found useful. There's still a fair bit of work to be done. I plan on expanding the forward part of the ship next, once I'm happy with the wings.
Quality Control Enforcer
Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

Way better, I now understand the command bridge. And now it actually looks like it could propel itself through space.
I think that the side pods do not have that same kind of flow as the rest of the ship.
This sections stands out too much
And I would make this darker.
PinkFlowerPrincess wrote: You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
OOOOOH no cursing, that's not nice!
Attachments
ibi69l.png
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

Well I'm blind.

Anyway, I don't know what you're aiming for but the previous version looked...sleeker.
The S9 sections on the neck kind of remind me of missile silos now.
That said...I like.
Don't you have stuff to do?
Ya know. The important things.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hmm, I'm liking this. Maybe its not as sleek as the initial version promised to be but the wings and rear at least definitly look mean now! Maybe its just me but the front could almost use, not real expansion, but a bit of bulk to match the rest. Or maybe a pair of those massive cannon to match the wings? Or just leave it alone because it really doesn't look bad now.
The multiple sized engines are almost always a cool effect and definitly helped imo. You also moved the Kai dtl 20 just enough to make the difference! Didn't expect quite so drastic a change on the blocks along the neck but it looks ok and maybe provides good spots for turrets, shield generators, or other equipment. Those wings almost look like they could deploy to that position for combat. All in all a badass looking design. I've got one question though, does it come with fleet command barbie or infected with alien spawn barbie?
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

25000st wrote:First ship is pretty cool but IMO there are too many stripes. I like how you did the understructure or whatever you want to call it.
Too many stripes? And yet it's too monotone as well? Make up your mind, please.
The colors are monotone. The ship to me has too many stripes. What is there to make up my mind? I do not understand. :?
25000st wrote:Second ship is... not good. The section-work is messy and the internal details have no flow.
You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
I cannot see the direction of flow in the internal details excluding the wings. The section-work does not transition as well as I have seen you do in the past.

ED:
I'm really liking the way you did the markings, it adds to the flow of the ship.
Yeah, I quite like the markings too! ^^ I don't know why a certain person dislikes them.
I never said I disliked them. At least not all of them. I just think there are too many. At least one too many. The one at the front actually contradicts the flow.
Anna

Post by Anna »

25000st wrote:The colors are monotone. The ship to me has too many stripes. What is there to make up my mind? I do not understand. :?
The stripes add colour, thus making it less monotone. How does such a simple concept fly over your head?
25000st wrote: I cannot see the direction of flow in the internal details excluding the wings. The section-work does not transition as well as I have seen you do in the past.
Which "internal details" are you referring to? When I hear "internal details" I assume people mean the flow of sections that aren't part of the outer shape. If you're talking about that, you're wrong, and also silly, as these screenshots will demonstrate:
Now what's this then?

Oh wow, it looks like fucking flow.

Now, if you're referring exclusively to the grey "internals" that connect the main hull to the wings, then that's kind of the point. It's meant to look like all sorts of messy internal mechanics. It is not meant to flow.
maart3n wrote:OOOOOH no cursing, that's not nice!
PinkFlowerPrincess thinks you should shut the hell up! ^_^
Quality Control Enforcer
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

The nose doesn't have the same level of detail as the rest of the ship, and the repetition isn't so good, but otherwise solid work as expected from a shipwright of your caliber.

@ 25000st:
I think your definition of 'flow' is much, much too simplistic. It seems like the only thing you consider flow is if the curves of a ship are nearly parallel to each other. Flow is only one component of a good ship, and even then, if you want to make a ship that is the least bit mechanical, you don't want 100% 'flow'.
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Curvy Alien Fleet: viewtopic.php?t=4959
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929