4th BP: Final Scores are up.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

Finally, finished with the single ships. For fleets I'm definitely not going to explain each category, I don't think I have the time to do that.

-= Inferno Beam Cannon (Danny420Dale) =-

Aesthetics: 5/10
The glows are much too eyegrabbing and distracting. Red is a strong colour, no need to go overboard on it. The outline is decent if a bit smooth, and the internal work is acceptable. However those four giant glows (reactors?) need to go or be toned down. If you do that, I think this ship would look quite pretty. One last thing, I think the glows would be better it they gradually grew brighter instead of coming in all of a sudden.

Originality: 6/10
Giant beamcannons aren't exactly original, and this is no exception. The overall shape of the ship redeems it somewhat, the forward swept wings and red colouration make it extremely aggressive looking. Not your average run of the mill warship to be sure, but the concept has been done to death.

Creativity: 6/10
Section usage is generic. No other word for it. Pretty much everything looks prim and proper, but nothing amazing. The rear of the ships is masterfully executed though, that is pretty creative.

Functionality: 2/5
I dunno, beam platform with a powerful one-way shield, missile spam (way too many missiles), and unrealistically nimble (explains the huge thrusters though). Seems like its good at everything. Also whats up with the backward firing beam? Won't you hit your own allies?

Backstory: 1/5
Like I said above, its good at everything. The backstory is also not much more than a list of its weapons and features, and references to previous ships.

Total: 20/40

-= Orbital Sword-class Battlecruiser (EriErin) =-

Aesthetics 9/10
The section usage on this ship is a masterwork, high levels of detail accentuated with appropriate usage of colour. The antennae are superb, as is the full-body glow. The overall shape is consistent with the idea of its being a capital ship-sized sword. Good use of glows where they exist. Logical placement of weapons is another plus. The tip of the nose is not up to par with the rest of the ship however, its too blunt for its slenderness.

Originality 8/10
A freaking space sword. That functions as expected. Space swords have been done maybe a few times before at most, but none that works so well.

Creativity 8/10
The use of sections here is certainly creative, I especially like the ring of sections that surround the core. There is also a sense of depth that is built up in the front section of the ship (the blade); you can see multiple layers of sections making the centre seem higher than the rest.

Functionality 4/5
Massive props for the faux side thrusters making the sword swinging effect seem even more real. That is truly attention to detail. However, the fact that the shield on the edge of the blade leaves fuel rods and missile launchers exposed sticks out like sore thumb when it comes to functionality.

Backstory 4/5
A backstory that puts the ship as a part of a larger, ongoing conflict, as well as highlighting the importance of support crew. Excellent. It like a WWII book of warships, which was the intent I`m sure. Also, the original design document deserves a point of its own. Pure genius!

Total: 33/40

-= Nasarii Class Battlecruiser (VeronW) =-

Aesthetics 4/10
Overall shape is decent but the outlining is a bit excessive. But the real problem is that the outlining matches the shapes of the sections so closely you have basically created a 2 pixel border around each outlined section. Thus they appear jagged, like magnified pixel art. In fact I thought your screenshot had interpolate turned off at first. That said, the outlining does serve its purpose in enhancing the perception of depth.

Aside from that,
the internals are a jumble and don't appear to have any rhyme or reason other than to conform to the outlining, apart from a few places like the hardpoints for the point beams and the part behind the nose of the ship which looks like gills (you could have made a custom section instead of using many small sections to improve efficiency but you aren't marked for that of course). The other weapons also lack hardpoints making them feel tacked on.

Originality 5/10
The shape of the ship is pretty well done if a bit generic. There isn't really anything original to speak of though. The problem could be that this is basically an sb2 era ship (see below)

Creativity 5/10
This ship could almost be built using sb2. By forcing secions to conform to the outlining, you aren't using sb4's features or sections to their full potential. Another problem is the outlining makes the ship's form too smooth and uninteresting. Colour needs work, the blue and gray (which is house colour I know but I assume your screenshot is the way you want it to be) are too similar to each other and makes the ship look monochromatic. I would like to say that this ship has a well done centerline though. It flows well from back to front, and interestingly this is one of the areas where outlining helps rather than hinders your ship.

Functionality 3/5
The reactors are a nice touch, as are the point beam hardpoints. However, the particle cannons are tacked on as said earlier. The lack of thrusters and since there is no explanation in the backstory, I have to dock you on this.

Backstory 2/5
The backstory shows promise, but requires more details to really mean anything. We are introduced to teh Saitek Empire, 'revolutionary technology', and psionic capabilities all in the first paragraph. Also there is some kind of conflict but otherwise I have no idea what is going on here. Tell us more.

Total: 19/40

-= Excalibur Class (bl3d4) =-

Aesthetics 5/10
The ship looks pretty good both in open wing and closed wing form, although I prefer the latter. The internals of the ship are not well done though. Individual parts of the ship seems coherent (like the big gun emplacement), but the whole ship itself looks like sections were randomly used in order to create the overall shape.

Originality 3/10
The shape is by no means original but the scale of the main turret certainly is... unique. The open wing form of the ship is pretty interesting but still not terribly original.

Creativity 2/10
Section usage is quite frankly, horrible. For example, the black Syngyne sections need to be depthed to hide the area where they abruptly cut off or the ship looks sloppy. There are huge sections and very detailed ones at the same time and they clash badly. You do however get points for the gun turret. Not the gun base though.

Functionality 4/5
The triggers are well done. The large turret is particular is excellent, the best of its kind that I've seen, with the recoil and the heat sinks(?). The thrusters are well placed to accelerate the ship in any direction, but the thruster exhaust is too large, especially the front facing thrusters which look ridiculous when the ship is moving backward. The ship itself looks pretty functional, the closed-wing form in particular is suited to the heavy bruiser that this ship is supposed to represent. One little nitpick, the main gun barrel goes under the particle cannons and demeters when the ship rotates.

Backstory 2/5
Yay, its another super powerful ship that kicks ass. Like a U.S.S. Mary Sue. The backstory is basically a list of its features and a few odes to its battlefield prowess.

Total: 16/40

-= Anvil of Stars (Aaganrmu) =-

Aesthetics 2/10
Ok, seriously, what possessed you to think that spamming one section over and over again, with the same colour, similar orienation and same size is in any way aesthetic? A shame really since the asymmetry is quite effective in making the outline of the ship interesting. Also the repetition and small pallette make this ship look very flat.

Originality 7/10
A space whaling vessel-turned warship is an inventive concept. The fact that the ship can only fire to one side certainly helps the idea of this originally being a civilian vessel.

Creativity 4/10
A mixed bag. On one hand, there is the ever pervasive repetition, but on the other, the parts that are not repetitive (sadly only a small portion) are well constructed. The harpoon cannon deserves merit for looking like a real turret, and the twin autocannon emplacement displays good use of colour to create depth even if only two colours were used.

Functionality 4/5
I like what appears to be a reactor at the back which is in close proximity to tow deflectors, but what are the other two deflectors doing way out there? The antennae are a nice touch, so is the appropriate placement of weapons and the base for the harpoon cannon. One thing that is good about the repetition is that it does make the ship look rugged like the backstory states.

Backstory 3/5
Quite refreshing for a change compared to the usual capital ship, but it would be good to flesh out the story a little more. Good, but not amazing.

Total: 20/40

-= Isak Sellanrå (Cycerin) =-

Aesthetics 5/10
The ship is big and imposing but its shape leaves much to be desired. It doesn't have a well defined shape, the outline is full of random jaggedness. From far away it looks like a big hunk of steel. Unfortunately your rather bland colour scheme and the provided video only exemplifies this.

Up close, though is another matter. Its very well detailed and the section usage makes it consistently so. The sections near the centerline are used in creative ways along with the glow to enhance them even further. I don't like the rear wings however, the section usage there is haphazard and too many different sections are used, turning detail into clutter.

Originality 7/10
The ship's bridge is extremely well done and I've never seen anything like it. The reactor as well. The weapon systems also show some originality simply in being modded to provide a sense of 'oh shit I'm going to die look pretty lights-AHHHH'. The thruster exhaust is also not the usual variety which is a nice touch.

Creativity 9/10
I have to applaud your use of glows. They increase the sense of depth of the ship, especially near the core and the main beam cannon. Another plus is the usage of custom sections to create something that truly cannot be built in a previous version of the shipmaker.

Functionality 4/5
Although not very pretty, this is probably about as functional as a capital ship can get. The bridge looks like it has windows, the thrusters have that nice engine glow and the beam cannon reactor looks ultra-heavy duty as befitting of such a terrifying weapon. The ships arsenal is no slouch either with enough ordinance to fit its flagship status. The nose of the ship looks like it is designed for a fixed, not rotating beam mount (as evidenced by your screenshot) though which is strange since the beam fires in all directions.

Backstory 2/5
Well, its another supership. I like the video, it pretty much sums up what little backstory there is.

Total: 27/40

-= Blob03 (Secure) =-

Aesthetics 5/10
I have to say, the ship looks pretty nice if generic, and the Blob's tentacles are very menacing. However ship and monster are both monochromatic, and neither are any special apart from each other. This simply could have been executed much better than what it is right now.

Originality 5/10
Concept is original yes. However neither the ship or creature display much in the way of originality. The ship is just not unique in any way and the monster is just some giant space squid or octopus... thing.

Creativity 2/10
The way the tentacles wrap around the ship is well done and provides a sense of depth. However the main body of the monster seems to be pretty random. The ship has pretty good section usage but its just so generic I can't really say anything about it. There is nothing creative about the colour scheme either.

Functionality 3/5
It does look like the ship has been thoroughly infected by the blob3 creature, which is a plus. It could be even better though if the ship show signs of damage or scarring from having a monster wrapped around it.

Backstory 0/5

Total: 15/40

-= Swordbreaker (Ixranin) =-

Aesthetics 7/10
Asymmetry can be a good thing, but in this case it looks like half a ship. I'm also not too fond of the repeated squares on the sides of the ship, they make the outline too straight and uninteresting. Alternatively, you could add more of them and make it a Chainsaw Class Battlecruiser... The cube thing looks out of place with the rest of the ship but otherwise the internals are solidly executed.

But when the Swordbreaker goes into battle: Wow. I see you used EriErin's Fin Funnel idea for your drones, and it is stunning. The Drone Missiles are a nice touch as well. The shield is spiffy as are the engine rings. Its a great 'special effects' ship but I only wish the actual ship itself could be just as good.

Originality 9/10
Another sword like ship. I'd say this is even more unique than the other one though, because of all the creative effects. The weapons are all very well modded and the drones are great.

Creativity 7/10
Despite the shape of the ship, no section looks out of place. They complement each other really well. I'm not that fond of the engine though, its not up to par although still good.

Functionality 4/5
The stern looks fragile and exposed. That said, it also looks very purposeful, like something that could show up on an actual spaceship. But the thrusters should go on the undefended side since this ship is essential a very wide and short frontal assault ship, not a broadsider. Of course, it is hard to dock you on this since it is all explained in your backstory, but there's just no way I can give you full marks for functionality.

I'm not too sure what to think of the flashing lights floating in space either.

Backstory 4/5
I like how the backstory integrates itself with the shape of the ship, pointing out its er, unique design features. Its very entertaining, however I fear for the survival of the Nsihin Empire...

Total: 31/40

-= Infringement Juggernaut (DarchZero) =-

Aesthetics 2/10
Neither form is very pleasing to my eye. The outline is uninteresting (one is a blob, the other is a blob with arms) and the sections are a mess. Colour isn't too hot either. The mech hands are the best part, but however overshadowed by everything else.

Originality 5/10
Mechs aren't original per se, but still a relatively rare sighting in the Wyrdysm world so I'll give you credit for that. Transforming is also a plus. Nothing especially original in the shape or weapons though.

Creativity 2/10
Overall, poor usage of sections. The internal lines of the ship/mech are pretty much random due to poor use of the mecha sections. Glowing aegis wings could be better.

Functionality 3/5
The spaceship form seems rock solid, fitting of its toted invulnerability; however the core seems a bit too much in the front if that's the case. The mech form isn't as functional looking, the arms are way too large for the body and especially the shoulders. I know its in the vacuum of space but now it looks more like a twin hulled ship than a mech.

Backstory 3/5
Oooh, scary, its another all-powerful ship. Only this time, it is actually all powerful. You get points on effort though, I read it all and its pretty vivid in the description of the ship. Er, what does Hegemon Engineering have anything to do with this? I see no HE design features.

-= Border Station (Raul) =-

Aesthetics 7/10
Its a little too squarish for my taste, but this is partially offset by the couterrotation. I also don't like the dark blue turret mounts, both the colour and the section usage there. The rest of the station is quite pretty by comparison. Great attention to detail and a generally pleasing shape.

Originality 9/10
Well, being a station it is different from all the other constestants. But theres so much more stuff to see that hopefully other stations will implement. The geodesic domes where I assume people live, the rotation in opposite directions, the docked Hestias, etc etc. Also I've definitely never seen SC2k on any ship before! Two thumbs up.

Creativity 5/10
The sections are used nicely to create the basic shapes that make up the station. Nothing sticks out as being jarringly bad. On the other hand, there's no particularly neat usage of sections either. An average attempt.

Functionality 4/5
The level of detail you put in to make this look like a self-supporting station is incredible, and jives really well with it being a 'Border' station. Unfortunately glaring errors like the four large twin turrets' barrels prevent the station from getting full marks in this category. Also, the station spins too fast for its large size IMO.

Backstory 1/5
No backstory to speak of, but you get a point for the description of each feature.

Total: 26/40

Summary:
33 - Orbital Sword
31 - Swordbreaker
27 - Isak Sellanrå
26 - Border Station
20 - Inferno Beam Cannon
20 - Anvil of Stars
19 - Nasarii
16 - Excalibur
15 - Blob03
15 - Infringement Juggernaut
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Curvy Alien Fleet: viewtopic.php?t=4959
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929
EriErin
Commander
Commander

Post by EriErin »

...with AD's permission...

In light of the recent RTN skirmishes once again encroaching upon Lunaria's borders, the Parliament has passed a bill requiring that all civilian and military vessels stationed in Lunarian space be subjected to the L-SAT, or Lightweight Standardized Accident Test.

a Tactless Discrimination-class

A single Tactless Discrimination-class Thermobaric Anti-Ship Missile will be launched at the target's bow from a distance of one ship-length. The ship will be scored on a scale of one to ten, mostly based on how pretty it looks when it explodes, and somewhat based on whatever score I feel like giving it.

Inferno
6/10 SATs
Meh. The way the aegis shield expanded when the missile hit home was comical. Destroyed thrusters flew everywhere when it exploded.

Orbital Sword
7/10 SATs
The explosion completely engulfed the blade and pushed the ship several hundred px across the map before it died. Had some active defenses, but they died too fast to be of any use.

Nasarii
4/10 SATs
Too small to really create much of an explosion.

Excalibur
5/10 SATs
Oooh, demeter peas.

Anvil of Stars
8/10 SATs
I thought the deflectors would give it some cover, but the missile just ripped through them and cored it quickly. The resulting explosion was pretty, mainly as a result of the section arrangement style.

Isak Sellanraa
9/10 SATs
Crunch heaven. It went through the Aetherlance Whatchamacallit spewing debris and what not, and then the ship's wings exploded spectacularly, surprisingly leaving the core area unscathed.

Swordbreaker
7/10 SATs
Passable, I guess. The parts that stuck out among the explosions are a nice touch.

Infringement Juggernaught
3/10 SATs
Meh. It died. Debris floated apart in a circle. It died as ugly as it had lived.

Border Station
ImageImage
10/10 SATs
The women. The children. The senile old faggots. EXPLODING IN A VAGUELY SYMBOLIC FASHION. Beautiful.

Blob 03
7/10 SATs
I never knew pulsating glowcocks could explode so nicely.
Last edited by EriErin on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Anna"]Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'll fuck you with a rake.[/quote]
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Darn if I had known you were going to do that, I would have thrown in some dead body sprites...
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

Just to clarify some of peoples' hinting about the OS->SB link, let's play I spy a ___.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/IxraninEL/Screenies/AsiSig1.gif[/img]
EriErin
Commander
Commander

Post by EriErin »

Though I did like its recockulousness to some extent, the OS was not actually inspired by the Remnant sword.

...it has the core ring and even has the same name. And I wish to hell that I'd bothered to choreograph that sort of a badass lightning effect instead of using a janky arc shield thing.
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

Fleets! Just before the deadline, too.

-= Earth Coalition Spaceborn (CheesyErwin) =-

Aesthetics: 8/10
Wet navy ships in space! The ships look very typically Terran which is appropriate, of course, but I'm not sure if you need runways in space. Execution is solid, with no glaring errors. The stock-like quality of these ships is quite nostalgic. Colour scheme is good if a bit overused.

Originality: 3/10
There's precious little original about this fleet, save the twin-runway design of the carrier. The wet-navy-like ships is something I like but its also done many, many times. This is definitely one of the better versions though.

Creativity: 5/10
Section usage is good, but not what I'd call creative. They are basically used in the way you would use stock sections, and brings nothing new to the table. What I do like is the use of the alphanumeric sprites on the carrier.

Functionality: 4/5
The gun placement is good but a bit excessive with the LKCs IMO. I question the need for runways in space. That aside, the ships look well armed and armoured and ready for battle. The bridges are a nice touch.

Backstory: 3/5
A good read, gives us a fair bit of background info and history.

Total: 23/40

-= Space Whale Herd (Aganrmu) =-

Aesthetics 5/10

The whales themselves, disregarding the animation, really don't look like much. Their body is just a single section repeated over and over and the rest isn't remarkable either. Also, the amount of variation is sorely lacking. I realize that since they have to be the same species, they can't be too different, but the only difference between a male and female is the male has prongs on his head and a different (but still made of one section) tail. More unique whales like the leader would go a long way into making this a truly remarkable fleet.

The appearance of the whales is partially redeemed by the animation which is extremely fluid and effective in conveying their status as living organisms. The swaying of their tails is hypnotizing and the breathing animation is great. The effect that this causes when they swim really makes you think of fish or whales.

Originality 10/10
Very original, without a doubt. For one thing, they're not ships or even mechanical, and two, they're whales =). The space whale leader's deformity is also very unique and well executed. Not much else needs to be said. Well done.

Creativity 6/10
The section usage is basically the same for each whale, and there is little in the way of section variety. That said, what you have done with these few sections is quite good. I am not too fond of the circular section though, it looks out of place with the best of the body.

Functionality 4/5
They move, eat and breathe, and shoot stuff from their mouths. I'm quite satisfied. And the pregnant female shoots babies... er, what? Reading the description, those rockets coming out of her belly are...? No wonder the whales are almost extinct.

Backstory 3/5
I really don't think any living thing could conceivably live near a quasar, no matter how radiation immune they are. It is a nice description of the whales though, and fits in perfectly with your other submission.

Total: 28/40

-= GASPART (DarchZero) =-

Aesthetics 3/10
Quality of the fleet is inconsistent, very hit and miss. The Hail and Solaroid are decent enough, the station is great, the Cauterizer looks like it belongs to secure's blocky ship fleet and most everything else is subpar. The Perihelios is quite appalling in particular, since its outline looks like it was traced out by freehand, and the internals are totally messy and lack flow. Lacking flow and ugly internals characterizes a lot of your bigger ships. The station is the real gem, but it also looks out of place with this fleet, perhaps because it is so much better than the rest. Oh, and the Torch Carryall unit is another good ship, very cute.

Originality 5/10
The emphasis on space-to-terrain vehicles is a first for me. Too bad there is little to suggest that these ships work well on a planet's surface. There is also a decent focus on non-combat vessels, after all half of the battle is in logistical support.

Creativity 3/10
Basically, hit and miss, just read the aesthethics section. Section usage on the station and some of the smaller ships work well, the big ships like the Sunfire drop pod launcher and the Heatwave Assault Carrier, well, don't.

Functionality 3/5
The fusion reactors are a nice touch and gun placement is OK but not anything special. What little you used of triggers works well. A decent effort.

Backstory 2/5
The dialogue between the soldiers and officers was fun to read, but not really a "backstory" so to speak. There's also some grammar mistakes there. The rest is average.

-= Blocky Fleet (secure) =-

Aesthetics 7/10
The blockyness of the fleet gives it a rugged nature that is kind of appealing. They're not just bricks, they're bricks with a detailed outline that accentuates there no-nonsense mechanical nature. The small defense satellites are also very attractive. There are only two designs I'm not particulary pleased with, the Sirona with its large sec26s and the big station which is much too cluttered and detail-heavy for its size. I would also like to see more colour, these are essentially monochrome.

Originality 5/10
A fleet of bricks is not something we have often in BSF. Apart from that there is little that catches my fancy regarding originality.

Creativity 5/10
The internal structure of the ships are not bad, but not that good either. This is obscured by the lack of colour variety so I didn't notice the quality of section usage at first glance. Average I would say.

Functionality 5/5
Thrusters on all sides? That makes lots of sense since it explains why ships can move backwards easily. The ships' ruggedness also makes sense since they're warships and warships should be well armoured.

Backstory 0/5
Sorry, a list of weapons doesn't count.

Total: 22/40

-= The Duroton (Verminator) =-

Aesthetics 8/10
Overall the fleet is coherent yet each ship is unique, which fits the theme of the fleet pretty well. The spiky yet mechanical look is pulled off well, except for the Kronus whose protrusions don't end with spikes but are instead rounded. This makes him look a bit different from the rest of the fleet. Glows are not excessive at all and I love the green on black markings. The use of glows to denote energy weapons is well executed. The frontal beam/tesla weapons remind me of Shivan beams in their location (and the Scylla does resemble a Cain-class cruiser).

Originality 6/10
The three-pronged shape of the Poseidon and Scylla is pretty unique. Don't usually see those around. The fleet concept as a whole, though, is quite generic, your average killer fleet of killer alien warships. The fact that they are sentient beings is pretty interesting though.

Creativity 6/10
Section usage is for the most part excellent, the Cerberus and Ladon are just about perfect in this regard. However, for the larger ships, the centerline seems to be made up of a jumble of sections and doesn't flow very well. The Lycaeus in particular seems quite haphazardly built. The Kronus' heavy use of detailed sections also makes it too 'busy' compared to the rest of the fleet.

Although I've already mentioned this, the green markings are quite creative. Something I haven't personally seen before, at least not that I remember.

Functionality 2/5
The ships appear to be spaceworthy. They have reactors and such. I would say they are lacking in weapon variety though. A few flavours of beams, tesla and particle cannons. But even more important, is that the amount of specialization is heavily lacking in this fleet. The Ladon is a fire support with the big tesla, but what about the rest? Frontal energy weapons and then particle cannons scattered around for 360 degree protection. For pretty much every other ship.

Backstory 4/5
An interesting read, I like how each ship has a personality although unfortuntely they don't show up very well in the actual design of the ships. The Duroton's life cycle is... unique, but well written.

-= Adun CaThuier royal service (Raul) =-
Aesthetics 4/10
The destroyer, station and corvette are good. Everything else is not. Part of this is attributed to poor usage of coloured sections (except the station which demonstrates very good use of coloured sections), another part is the overall shape (the cruiser, especially) and the last is the use of large sections which don't go well with the detailed sections (except for the station again, which strikes a good balance between the two).

Originality 5/10
Its a battle fleet with all the typical roles. The shape of the station and destroyer are worth mentioning, but that's about it. You also get points for the destroyer's main gun.

Creativity 4/10
I don't like the use of the large armour plates mixed in with highly detailed sections for the most part. This can break up the flow like on the Ascent carrier. The destroyer demonstrates the most creative use of sections out of all the ships, and maintains flow while at it. It also happens not to use many of the armour plates. On the other hand, the station makes great use of armour plates as well, armour plates. The use of two levels of detail in this case produce a sense of depth. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the other ships.

Functionality 2/5
What's that... thing on the cruiser? Sure doesn't look like a mini-sun to me. Also the station rotates too fast. On a positive note, the runways on the carrier are a nice touch.

Backstory 0/5
A description of the weapons and ship roles doesn't cut it either, I'm afraid.

-= Requiem Fleet (bl3d4) =-

Aesthetics 4/10
The attack of the killer tuning forks. Lovely. I must say, this is really an acquired taste, but executed pretty well. However, about the shape, apart from the initial newness factor, offers little in the way of aesthethics. The outline is generally uninteresting, they're just tuning forks after all. The frigate deployment platform is nice and refreshing after all those warships.

Originality 6/10
The shape is original, alright. The weapons systems are well modded too. However, the shape is basically the same throughout the whole fleet, which is not very interesting at asll.

Creativity 4/10
Individually, each ship is well constructed with a good amount of flow. But looking from a fleet perspective, each ship is just a bigger version of the last, with sections used the exact same way. This isn't very creative.

Functionality 3/5
The ships are much too spindly to be very practical, I think. Especially since they're warships and warships are going to get shot at. Having thrusters on all sides is good thing though. I'm kind of disappointed there aren't any teslas though, the two prongs look like they would be good for building up a powerful charge (the biggest ship just screams for this). Oh well, the weapons you do have are decent.

Backstory 2/5
Has a bit of everything, but not much detail in anything.

-= Aquatics Fleet (Deltaflyer) =-

Aesthetics 8/10
Smooth and curvy. Mmm. I like how you managed to make every ship look different while maintaining the general aesthetic of the fleet through consistent colour usage and flowing, curved sections. The destroyer tops it all with perfect section flow, resulting in a very graceful design. The nose of the fighter and cruiser taper down too quickly for my liking though.

Originality 8/10
The variety and uniqueness of shapes that are pleasing to the eye distinguishes this fleet from all the others. Nice work.

Creativity 7/10
Pulling all these different ship hulls off is a feat worthy of mention. Unfortunately, you made only the hulls, as seen below...

Functionality 0/5
Well this is easy. Warships without weapons? Zero points. Dammit, I wanted to see this 'Phalantium Wave' of yours in action. Pretty badass name for a nonexistent weapon.

Backstory 3/5
Eh, pretty standard for an alien race backstory. Not bad though.

-= Deca Defense Force (Blackhart) =-

Aesthetics 9/10
Fuck yes this is the quality I have been waiting for. I like the smaller ships more than the larger ones since the big capital ships seem to be pretty random in their spikyness. Otherwise I have no complaints whatsoever.

Originality 7/10
The angled hullforms on the capital ships is pretty unique, the smaller ships less so. In general though, the style is something I haven't seen since ArcaneDude's Vilushan (sp?) fleet.

Creativity 9/10
The use of the sections to create the spiky hullforms is generally flawless. Actually the Dardanus is cluttered near the centre but that's about sit.

Functionality 4/5
A very menacing fleet, they are sleek and highly aggressive-looking. Weapons placement is par for the course, and nothing generally looks out of place. I only wish the ship's roles could be made more obvious through their appearance and not their weapons.

Backstory 0/5
Ah, a shame.

Total: 29/40

Summary:
29 - Deca Defense Force
28 - Space Whales
26 - Duroton
26 - Aquatics
23 - E.C. Spacy
22 - Blocky Fleet
19 - Requiem Fleet
16 - GASPART
15 - Adun CaThuier
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Meh. Did I miss a judging deadline extension or something? Anybody there?

If you haven't noticed by absence from the IRC room and from the rest of the forums, I've been pretty preoccupied with stuff over on my end which supersedes the importance of judging this competition. As towards the requirements of 'being able to finish the job', I say this: the original deadline was June 6th.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

Ah, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. After only Kaz and I have finished judging. Anyways stuff in RL obviously takes priority, so good luck on whatever you have to do.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Stuff in RL does take priority, yes. Which is largely why I myself haven't finished judging yet. I've got a fuckton of things to do. My unofficial target for judging is by this sunday, but I'm willing to let people bring in judging untill August. But that's really the final deadline.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

I finish with this stuff sometime around mid-August, so I probably won't be able to get anything in. I have free time, granted, but I'd rather not squeeze any judging in too tightly.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Fleets judging

Same rules as the original ships judging, though I'll of course be looking at the entire fleet as a whole instead of the individual ships. Duh.

EC Spacy (CheesyErwin)

Aesthetics

Section usage is okay [+2] though not spectacular. The colorscheme is okay as well, but it's so...generic and overdone I just can't give you the full points [+1]. Same goes for the outer shapes: they're okay [+1], but they're WET NAVY SHIPS IN SPAAAACE. Again. The doodads do add flavor, though [+1]. Total: 5/10

Originality

There's very little original about them. They're classic terran navy ships. No redeeming qualities, except for the fact that you've somehow managed to give them a very airship-ish look, what will the winglets and such [+1]. Otherwise...I just can't find anything. Score: 1/10.

Creativity

Kudos for the well done custom projectiles [+1]. Some of the section usage is inspired [+2] and the designations add good flavor [+1]. The radar on the Archer is a nice touch [+1]. Total: 5/10.

Functionality

They were designed as terran spacecraft and they pull off that look quite well [+2]. You've given them a look that's very close to modern day space shuttles, somehow [+1]. Total: 3/5

Backstory

As. It. Should be. A full background [+2], with preamble [+1] and a proper description for every ship [+1]. Well done. The only reason why you don't have the full five points is, well, because it's not an actual story as much as it is a setting. Total: 4/5.

Total Score
Originality: 1/10
Functionality: 3/5
Backstory: 4/5

Total: 18/40

Space Whale Herd (Aganrmu)

Aesthetics

As far as section usage goes they're not impressive. Repetition is abundant, even though it's necessary in this case. I like the colors though, they fit these creatures [+2]. Shapes are okay, but nothing special [+1]. On the topic of recreating actual creatures, you get an A+ [+1]. Total: 4/10, sadly.

Originality

Space whales [+2]. Now there is something I have absolutely never seen before in BSF. The way you've recreated the movements is absolutely magnificent [+2] and the breathing animations are wonderful [+2]. I like the idea of mutations caused by radioactivity [+1] although I doubt one of these creatures could survive an asteroid impact, what with organse being expose to vacuum and such. TOtal: 7/10.

Creativity

Repetition is well used to recreate the tails [+2] and the asteroid impact site on the leader is well done [+1]. Otherwise, however great the exectution of these creatures, I can't find much inspired sectionwork. Had you taken an effort for using custom sections, working on the look of the creatures themselves, this could have had much higher score. Total: 3/10.

Functionality

They look like whales [+1] and move like whales, which is a chore on it's own [+2]. Well done there. The defensive mechanisms sound plausible for a creautre that has to survive the in vacuum of space [+1]. Total: 4/5.

Backstory

Somehow I doubt anything could survive near a quasar. Do you even know what they are? Oversized black holes that vomit plumes of plasma and radiation billions of kilometres into space, with a massive ring of gas lightweeks across. Those things devour stars, and they'd be the habitat of a creature? Na-ah. Otherwise, it's certainly an original story [+2] and I like the fact that it seems to be told from the viewpoint of an exobiologist [+1]. The scientific error is a shame. Total: 3/5.

Total score
Aesthetics: 4/10
Originality: 7/10
Creativity: 3/10
Backstory: 3/5

Total: 21/40

Blocky Ship Fleet (Secure)

Aesthetics

I see some interesting section usage [+2] and even though they're all blocky, the shapes are decent [+2]. Otherwise, unfortunately, there's not much to comment on. Colorscheme is nonexistant,so is doodading. You've used shading pretty well [+1], but that's about it. The station is just...hideous. Total: 5/10.

Originality

There's not much original to be found in these ships. On the other hand I've never seen someone trying to deliberatly build a fleet for the sole purpose of making it blocky *and* making it work, so guess that's something [+2]. Massive construction station is a plus [+1]. Total: 3/10.

Creativity

As I said, good section usage here and there [+2] and the shapes may not be creative, but the detailing on the outer hulls is well done [+2]. Maneuvering thrusters are a plus [+1]. Total: 5/10.

Functionality

The whole fleet looks like it'll *work* like a fleet [+2], with support ships, a shipyard, nearly everything it needs. The ship themselves pull off the 'chunk-of-armor-in-space' look rather well [+2]. Maneuvering thrusters are once again a plus [+1]. Total: 5/5.

Backstory

Nonexistant. I'll give you one point for the descriptions, and I almost feel sorry for doing so. Score: 1/5.

Total score
Functionality: 3/10
Functionality: 5/5

The Duroton (Verminator)

Aesthetics

Outer shapes are good [+2]. Colorwork is decent too [+2], but it's so damn cliche. Little faces are a plus [+1]. Unfortunately, most of the sectionwork on the bigger ships is jumbled, although it's decent on the smaller ones [+1]. Glow and doodad usage is okay, but not exactly spectacular. Total: 6/10.

Originality

I'd say the whole premise is fairly original [+2], certainly something I've never seen before. Good ideas as far as individual units go [+1]. Unfortunately, I'd expect a race of sentient machines to have a bunch of moving bits, folding weapons covers, mandibles, legs, ... It's just not there. And why the hell are they green? It's not because the Borg are green that every other cybernetic race needs green hues in it's ship. Sheesh. Good concept, meager execution. Total: 3/10.

Creativity

I see some good glows usage [+2] and the little faces are a nice touch [+2]. Section usage, however, is not spectacular. The weapon on Ladon is something [+1] but unfortunately everything else is just...generic. I don't like saying that, but it just is. You haven't even taken the trouble of giving them more than one wepaons type. Total: 4/10.

Functionality

They certainly *look* like living machines, thank to the little faces [+2]. But as I said, I'd expect such creatures to have plenty of moving structures and more complex outer shapes, all of which are not present. I'd also expect these beings to be perfectly capable of self-repairs, so where are the nanomatrices? Score: 2/5.

Backstory

This is how it should be. Plenty of description and even a biography for every unit [+2] and an original premise [+2]. Some extra witness logs and such would have been a nice touch, though. Total: 4/5.

Total score
Aesthetics: 6/10
Creativity: 4/10
Functionality: 2/5

GASPART (DarchZero)

Aesthetics

*Some* of the section usage is decent [+2] (at best). The Battlestar specifically looks good on it's own [+1]. Unfortunately, that's where it ends. Colors are plain generic, outer shapes lack flow and fleet-wide continuity, same for the rest of the section work. The Perihelios itself is just plain hideous. Everything is stock, and not in a good way. Total: 3/10.

Originality

A fleet meant specifically for planetary invasion is at least *somewhat* original [+2] and I like the fact that you took the effort to build dropship carriers and drop pods [+1]. But once again, that's where it ends. No other redeeming qualities. Total: 3/10.

Creativity

If I was the one who made these ships, I would kill myself and rid the world of an abomination. I'm not saying that lightly. The only reason why I wouldn't do it in the most cruel way possible is the Battlestar, which has some good section usage [+1] and an intruiging flow [+1]. I see some of the same qualities in the Hail [+1], but it's not nearly as brilliant. As i said, the other ships are a generic blob of goo with little in the way of redeeming qualities. Total: 3/10.

Functionality

As a Planetary assault force, this works [+2]. Dropships and dropship carrier are a plus [+1]. You have sufficient support units as well [+1]. I'd say this is decent as far as functionality goes. Total: 4/5

Backstory

Your alliance gives a planet killer to a group of convicts. Mhm. Otherwise, the structure of the backstory is good; some illustration [+1], and a description for every ship involved [+2]. The actual background is too short and doesn't make much sense at all. Total: 3/5.

Total score
Aesthetics: 3/10

Adun Ca Thuir Royal Navy (Raul)

Aesthetics

As far as custom sections go, you've picked the ugliest palette I've ever seen. I see a lot of stretching too. Shapes are odd and irregular. The only redeeming qualities I can find is the glows usage [+2] and the colorscheme [+2]. Otherwise, some of these ships lack the necessary continuity I'd look for in a fleet. Total: 4/10.

Originality

It's a run off the mill fleet. Otherwise, there are some places in which you've put some of your famous meticulous detail [+2] and the EMP beam is something [+1]. Otherwise, I swear I'm doing my best to find something, but I just can't find it. Total: 3/10.

Creativity

Meticulous detailing is a plus [+1] and I see some creative section usage [+2]. Whether or not it looks good is another kettle of fish entirely. Sun core with a bubbleshield is a nice touch as well [+1]. I like how you've used the holes in your custom sections to place weapons underneath [+1]. Total: 5/10.

Functionality

As a fleet, I'm missing a few support units, but the converted freighter sort of compensates for that [+1]. The ships themselves seem quite sturdy [+1], and the little hangars with the drones on the freighter are a plus [+1]. Total: 3/5.

Backstory

You get one point for the descriptions. That's it. Score: 1/5.

Total score
Aesthetics: 4/10

5th Conquest Fleet of the Emperor (bl3d4)

Aesthetics

People say they're tuning forks. I'll go so far as to say they're hideous tuning forks. Far too spindly, mediocre and sometimes even nonsensical section usage, and what the BLOODY FUCK is up with those background glows? If those are supposed to be shields you're not doing a very good job.Your initial color scheme is decent [+2] but that's it. The main weapon on the Requiem is miserably executed. Score: 2/10.

Originality

It's another ballsmashing fleet. Yippety-frickin'-dooda. The only original thing I can find here is the Frigate platform [+2], and once again, that's it. I could say the background glows/ bubble shields are original, but they just look too bad to warrant points. Score: 2/10.

Creativity

I could say that there is at least *some* creativity in here. You had a decent idea when you made the main weapons [+2] but the execution is subpar. The platform has some okay section usage [+1]. But otherwise, most of your ships are just too plain bad to find even the most whimsical bit of creativity. Total: 3/10

Functionality

Frigate deployer is a plus [+1] even though it's unrealistic. Otherwise, flimsy designs and the fact that they're simply underarmed makes me go *cringe* everytime I imagine this fleet fighting anything else. You're missing anti-fighter units as well. Score: 1/5.

Backstory

Sooo...the humans attacked one of your planets...whyyy? And your fleet is massacring humans WHO HAVE SURRENDERED and even though those are clearly not the ones who attacked your planted...whyyy? Your admiral is clearly not the type of person who *likes* to wage war, so what's with the "O hey let's kill all humans" stance? You have a decent structure [+1] and decent ship descriptions [+1] But otherwise I didn't enjoy this. Not one bit. Total: 2/5.

Total score
Aesthetics: 2/10
Originality: 2/10
Functionality: 1/5
Backstory: 2/5

TOtal: 10/40

Aquatic Fleet (Deltaflyer)

Congrats. You've managed to send me through a maze of pop-ups, pop-unders and more ads than even your average porn site can fathom, only to have me find out that you don't have an encounter file. You're disqualified.

Deca Defense Force (Blackhart)

Aesthetics

Finally something that elevates itself from mediocrity. Shapes are interesting and well done [+2], colorwork is good [+2] and you have decent section usage [+2]. Very nice custom sections too [+1]. Glows usage is decent, but nothing spectacular. In all, very solid. Total: 7/10.

Originality

The shapes are not ballsmashingly new, but they're all fairly original in their own right [+1]. I see quite some originality in the style of your custom sections [+1], and in the bullets [+1]. But otherwise, it's your run off the mill fleet. I also wonder how large a part my Aurelian fleet played in the conceivement of this fleet. Total: 3/10.

Creativity

I see some inventive section usage throughout the fleet [+2] and you've managed to use your custom sections palette very well [+2]. The glows usage is also decent [+1]. Total: 5/10.

Functionality

As a fleet, these certainly work [+2]. Enough support units, decently armed [+1], and so on and so forth. It's a shame the Gilgamesh is so flimsy. Total: 3/5.

Backstory

One point for descriptions, nothing else. Score: 1/5.

Total Score
Aesthetics: 7/10
Backstory: 1/5.

Total: 19/40.

AD's Fleet Scoring

EC Spacy: 18/40
Space Whale Herd: 21/40
Blocky Ship Fleet: 19/40
The Duroton: 19/40
GASPART: 16/40
Adun Ca Thuier Royal Navy: 16/40
5th Conquest Fleet of the Emperor: 10/40
Deca Defense Force: 19/40

Top 3 Rankings

1: Space Whale Herd (Aganrmu) 21/40
2: Blocky Ship FLeet (Secure) / The Duroton (Verminator) / Deca Defense Force (Blackhart) 19/40 (tied)
3: EC Spacy (CheesyErwin) 18/40
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

End of the judging period

Judging ends today, folks. No more extensions. I'll be calculating points and adding them to the second post in this thread later today.

Now, two of our judges have not fulfilled their commitment. In Normandy's case, it's understandeable and he took the effort to explain his reasons in this thread and to warn me. I'll still be using his judging in the Original Ships category as a result.

ORIGINAL SHIPS SCORES:
Inferno Beam cannon: 23 + 16 + 26 + 20 = 85
Orbital Sword: 31 + 31 + 34 + 33 = 129
Nasarii: 17 + 13 + 22 + 29 = 81
Excalibur: 12 + 16 + 25 + 26 = 79
Anvil of Stars: 20 + 20 + 25 + 20 = 85
Isak Sellanraa: 26 + 24 + 31 + 37 = 118
Blob 03: 14 + 14 + 21 + 15 = 64
Swordbreaker: 25 + 28 + 36 + 31 = 120
Infringement: 15 + 21 + 30 + 15 = 81
Border Station: 21 + 24 + 34 + 36 = 115
FLEET SCORES:
EC spacy: 29 + 23 + 18 = 60
Space WHales: 34 + 28 + 21 = 83
Deca Defense Force: 30 + 29 + 19 = 78
The Duroton: 28 + 26 + 19 = 73
Adun Ca Thuier: 28 + 15 + 16 = 59
GASPART: 27 + 16 + 16 = 59
5th Conquest fleet: 25 + 19 + 10 = 54
Blocky ships: 20 + 22 + 19 = 61
Last edited by ArcaneDude on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Woot! 5th and 6th place, ill take that compared to last time! mad props and thanks to all the participating judges, I hope this contest continues! I wish I hadnt had to strip down the station to get it to run in shipmaker, but by next year who knows what type of ships we'll be turning in...
DarchZero
Commander
Commander

Post by DarchZero »

Oh. My. Cojones. 6th and 8th places? I predict i was going to be at 5th and 6th, but URGH! I guess i still suck.

@Raul: You're gonna get it next time! Well, blank threat eh? :D

EDIT
P.S: OMG no fair! The winners are all vets, custom-section-artists and long time pros! O.o
P.P.S: Another blunt bullet of sore loserness.
Died to gatekeeping and mod arrogance
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

DarchZero wrote: EDIT
P.S: OMG no fair! The winners are all vets, custom-section-artists and long time pros! O.o
And this surprises you, really? :roll:
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~