The First Annual BSF Beauty Pageant - Finished

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

The First Annual BSF Beauty Pageant - Finished

Post by Anna »

Well, over the past few weeks we've had several contests started, but all of them have dealt primarilly with making ships that are really, really good at blowing the crap out of the other ships. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. But this contest is of a different sort. This contest is all about making ships that, above all, look good.

I'll be judging the competition, and I'll need two or three other people to volunteer to judge the entries also.

Judges cannot participate in the competition, but other than that, there are no restrictions at all. There shall be three different categories, each of which has different criteria which are judged on a scale of one to ten by each judge. The scores shall then be added together, and the person with the most points shall be declared the winner of their respective category.

The first two Categories are Original Ships and Fleets.
Original ships and Fleets are ships of your own unique design, and shall be judged on the following criteria:
--- Aesthetics: Aesthetics is the over-all attractiveness of the ship. Naturally, this is almost entirely subjective, but then again, most things are. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.
--- Originality: The more unique and original your ship design is, the higher your score shall be in this category.
--- Creativity: Creativity is similar to Originality, but focuses more on how the ship is constructed, and how pieces are used. An unorthodox or original use of ship pieces would score higher points in creativity.
--- Functionality: This criteria not only regards how functional your ship is in play, but also how functional it appears aestheticly. If people look at your ship and think "that looks practical and functional", you'll probably score high points here.
--- Backstory: This criteria isn't strictly necessary, and you don't have to write a backstory for your ship if you desire, however, if you choose not to write a backstory, you will score an automatic zero in this category. Backstory is scored from 1-5 instead of 1-10 like the other criteria.

The third Category in the competition is for Fan Ships.
Fan ships are ships from a science-fiction franchise or movie, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc, or a video-game series. Basically, a ship not of your own design, but instead a pre-existing ship that you recreated in BSF. The criteria for this section are:
--- Aesthetics: Same as above. If the ship is ugly, it will recieve a low score.
--- Creativity: Same as above.
--- Accuracy: How accurate the ship is to the original, in terms of appearance.
--- Functionality: How accurate the ship is to the original, in terms of weapons load-out and the like. If you make the Enterprise-E and arm it with nothing but Railguns and Tachyon Repeaters, for example, you'll score horribly here.

I'll probably also make little pixelatted medals or something for the first, second and third placed in each category. Also, there shall be awards for "Ugliest Ship", "Most Humourous Ship" and "Most Ridiculously (WTF Are You Smoking!?) Overgunned Ship"

Entries are open until October 28th. Judging of the entries shall not begin until every ship has entered.

Caveat: I know I can't enforce this rule at all, but please, create new ships for this competition, instead of one you made ages ago. I want to see new things, people!

ALSO! Vote on whether you want OPEN POSTINGS OF SHIPS, as has been done so far, or if you want ships to be submitted to the Judges privately, and revealed once ship entrances are closed, as per Boba Fetuccini's suggestion. Poll is open for two days. You may submit ship designs to myself and the other Judges (Boba Fetuccini, Da Higg, and Kazuael) until the poll is closed, and the public opinion on the matter has bee determined.
Last edited by Anna on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Anna

Post by Anna »

--- Competition Entrants ---

Original Ships:
--- Derelict Dreadnaught by Arcalane [Download Link]
--- Rikatch Daskilia by AmnEn [Download Link]
--- Enplus by Raithah [Download Link]
--- Sidwes Howitzer by Natch [Download Link]
--- Collosus by Water_and_Wind [Download Link]
--- Damascus Dreadnought by TormakSaber [Download Link]
--- Solarian Siba Numtar by CroIntel [Download Link]

Fan Ships:
--- Serenity by AmnEn [Download Link]
--- Earth Alliance Omega Destroyer by RayvenQ [Download Link]
--- The Aegis by Squikker2001 [Download Link]

Fleets:
--- The Star Crusaders by Bluhman. [Download Link]
--- The Massive Defense Force by M123. [Download Link]
--- Theta Fleet by Boba Fetuccini. [Download Link]

--- Judges ---
--- Anna
--- Da_Higg
--- RRoan
--- Kazuael[/url]
Last edited by Anna on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:32 am, edited 20 times in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

I say just post 'em in the thread. It doesn't really matter if it's an Aesthetics contest, because you can spot un-originals quicker and if you can't make a beautiful ship, then you can't make a beautiful ship.

And what exactly does "how functional it appears" mean?
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

A brick does not look too functional if it's supposed to be a fast ship.

On the flip side, a sleek, fast, flimsy looking ship should not have 25072309 HP and be slower than most Battleships.

That's what they're talking about.
AmnEn
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by AmnEn »

Well, I'll try to explain functionality.
Famous last words of battleship captains:

"Dude, like seriously, which moron placed the combustion rocket engine in FRONT OF THE FRICKING BRIDGE?"
"So where did we store those uber explosive Anti Matter rounds again? Near the reactor? That's cool"
"Full power to the engines!" - "Sir" "Yes?" "We don't have one" "Aww. Bummer"

Things like these. Things that make people wonder just how that part is actually supposed to work. When you look at your own ship and think "so... why is that part there again?" and don't know an answer it probably means it isn't functional. Also make sure to have all the important parts. Where is the bridge? Where are the engines? Is it fit for atmospheric flight?
Is there system redudancy? Does it make sense at all?
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

Even though I'm a judge, could I submit a fleet design?
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]
Anna

Post by Anna »

Boba Fetuccini wrote:Even though I'm a judge, could I submit a fleet design?
Judges aren't allowed to enter the competition, sorry. If you would like to enter the competition, then I'll have to find another judge to replace you.
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Post by Anna »

Well, it seems that the option of posting ships in the Thread is winning by such a large margin that it doesn't seem like it's necessary to wait until tomorrow to see the final results.

You may begin submitting ship designs now. :D
Quality Control Enforcer
RRoan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by RRoan »

Anna wrote:
Judges aren't allowed to enter the competition, sorry. If you would like to enter the competition, then I'll have to find another judge to replace you.
I wouldn't mind being a judge. It's not like I could participate in this in any other way.
[url=http://www.omniversezero.com/forum/][img]http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3814/sigpiclc4.jpg[/img][/url]
Stryder
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Judges for the beauty / design tournement

Post by Stryder »

Anna wrote:
Boba, If you would like to make an entry, I would gladly take your place as a judge, if it's ok with Anna.
Anna

Post by Anna »

RRoan wrote:I wouldn't mind being a judge. It's not like I could participate in this in any other way.
After seeing "The Grand Phoenix", I'm inclined to disagree with you rather vehemently on that matter. It seems to me that you have the skills required to enter the competion... Plus, we could definately use some more entries.

However, if Boba Fetuccini decides to renounce his Judging position, so he can make a Fleet, then you're welcome to take his place, if you so desire. :D
Quality Control Enforcer
RRoan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by RRoan »

Anna wrote:After seeing "The Grand Phoenix", I'm inclined to disagree with you rather vehemently on that matter. It seems to me that you have the skills required to enter the competion... Plus, we could definately use some more entries.
Incorrect. The nanny program on my computer has taken a severe dislike to the shipmaker.
[url=http://www.omniversezero.com/forum/][img]http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3814/sigpiclc4.jpg[/img][/url]
Anna

Post by Anna »

RRoan wrote:Incorrect. The nanny program on my computer has taken a severe dislike to the shipmaker.
Oh... well that just... that's not cool at all. :(
Quality Control Enforcer
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Looks like I get the first entry, so I present you all with something a little.. unusual.

Derelicts!

Assumed to be the first prototypes of the Titan Shipyard's designs, this unnamed derelict, identified only by it's registration code, was found deep in a sector frequently termed the Abyss, as it is entirely devoid of life. Based on data from the Titan Shipyard Archives and the prototype's still functioning databanks, a reconstruction of the ship, prior to it's loss, has been assembled, and can be seen below the original in the above screenshot.

Engineers and Scientists are still at a loss as to the vessel's damage. It is assumed that, whilst on a prototype flight run, the prototype was attacked with high energy beam weaponry, shattering it's heavy armour in places and deforming the entire nose structure. Scientists also predict that the prototype was spun around from the force of these blasts, which caused additional structure damage before causing one of the engine cores to detonate, quite possibly flinging the prototype out into the Abyss. The burn marks do not match up with either Terran beams or the "Mega-Beams" used by the aliens, and the vessel, even with a skeleton flight crew, had gunnery control slaved to the bridge. Pirate ambushes are effectively ruled out.

A starship-sized case of Murder Mystery indeed.

~~

The bottom or "Derelict" is the intact version, and the "Derelict Dreadnaught" is the battle-damaged version. I included both for comparison purposes. :) The damaged version is my submission, and was basically a mutilated version of the intact type. So to make that clear;

I am submitting the derelict version only.

bp2s and shps are in the zip for those wanting to playtest these things. Obviously, the intact version will need it's stats modifying so it can actually fly. The derelict rotates slowly like a space station.

And yes, it is meant to have oodles of HP. This thing is practically a relic - designed well before the integration of alien technology, and fits very few deflectors in comparison to some models. It makes up for it's lack of deflectors by utilizing much heavier armour, and thus can't fit as many point defense measures as normally possible.
Last edited by Arcalane on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
AmnEn
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by AmnEn »

I'll simply repost my ship again with a fresh new rewrite of the story.

The hive incident

"This is Alpha One to Command, Requesting Permission for takeoff"
"Roger that Alpha One, Permission granted. Good luck"
A burst of lightning, quickly followed by a thundering roar that could be felt throughout the whole Battlecruiser DoF Battlefrog marked the starting procedure of the Avenger Starfly Fighters.
"Allright", came the voice of Alpha One over the Comms "Looking good out here. Proceeding to first waypoint". The small Avenger Starflies were a fast craft, explicitely built for scouting duties. The leading Starfly had two golden stripes painted on two of the four wings while the other two Fighters of the squad looked somewhat stock.
"Damn, one of those days I'll get my vacation to earth... and I promise right here, I'm going to shoot the engineer that constructed the Battlefrog", echoed a second voice over the Comms. It was a rough voice which hinted at one too many drinks and cigarettes. A loud laugh could be heard for several seconds "That thing is butt ugly".
He was referring to the cruiser from which they had just launched. It was a heavy and thick bulk design that was testament to the new Terran Paranoia after the first Infestation War. In the back of it, the new Hyperdrive Engine could be seen though it was inactive at this point. Nonetheless, the huge hole straight through the chassis was a general point of critic about the design.
"I heard that Alpha Two", the third voice belonged to a female person that obviously was in control of the third Starfly.
"Aww, Marion, come on. Just kidding. I wouldn't do a damn thing to your uncle and you know..."
"Cut the chatter you two. We're on duty"
"Yes!"
"Roger"
Several minutes of silence followed this small incident as the three Starflies followed their preprogrammed path to the first Navpoint.
"Ding a ding a dinga long. We're here", unmistakeable that was Alpha Twos comment as the squad finally reached their destination.
"Hey, James, mind telling me why HQ send us on another damn Patrol?"
"Yeah seriously, what's the matter? We've had 20 years of fricking peace and even the bloody pirates are basically still licking their wounds"
"I don't know. There is quite a buzz around HQ lately"
"Like what?
"It's all classified. Can't tell you"
"Damn, that means the Infestation is back"
"Ahh come on Jenkins, it's not the Infestation. We kicked their butts 20 years ago. Hell, they even helped us with our pirate problem by mopping the floor with them."
Into the arguement, fate dropped a sudden bleep on the scanners. Just a single one but that single sound managed to silence the whole squad.
"I've just had an enormous Mass reading on my scanners, Sir", the voice of the female pilot was the first to be heard again, quickly followed by Alpha Two "Confirmed. It's gone again though"
"Allright, everyone engage Delta Formation, let's try if we can get a direction via Threeway Coordinates"
The Starfly with the stripes took the lead and the other crafts formed at his wings and then each assumed a position in a steady delta formation. Moments later they all powered down their engines. Patiently waiting for another signal on the scanners.
"Must have been a Meteor"
"Ye, most likely just another meteor"
"Keep it just a moment longer"
The seconds crawled and even though time has no nails, every single pilot could feel them scratching over their skin while placing icy fingers around their hearts.
"Come on Alpha one... it's nothing...", that was Jenkins, the Pilot of the second Starfly. Only those that knew him would notice the fear in his voice, covered by a tiny laugh.
"Allright, re engage Patrol. Let's get the hell..."
Fate felt like being a bitch that day. Another bleep on the scanners. Only this time it was close enough that it wasn't exactly necessary to use the computers for a visual estimate. A look out the cockpit was sufficient enough for that.
"What the hell is that..."
"Beats me"
"That's definitely not good"
"Several objects detected sir... Attack Vector!"

Ladies and Gentlemen,

You've just witnessed the recordings of the Blackbox of the lost Patrol Squad. The origin of the agressor has been clearly identified as the Infestation. Out of necessity your clearance levels have been raised to Gamma 7 and you've now got full access on the Infestation files.
I want you to do your best. Find a damn weakness in that thing, point out structurual flaws and whatever it takes to take that motherhopper down.

[****** Welcome to the HELIOS Library, Admiral ******]
[* You've been assigned the clearance level Gamma 7 **]

> ENT Library | [SEARCH] Infestation | APL FLT CLEARANCE
< *** The following entries matched your search, Admiral
< ** a) Mentality and origin of the Infestation [Gamma 7]
< ** b) Ship schematics [Gamma 7]
< ** c) Experiments on the Infestation [Gamma 7]
< ** d) Influence of Hyperdrive Technology in the war [Gamma 7]

> SLC a | [PRINT] | APL FLT RELEVANCE

The Infestation is a race of robotic origin. First contact was established during a Pirate Raid in the outer colonies during which the pirates attacked Infestation Drones.
[*** System filtered Information ID: 10871a ]
This act seems to have been a declaration of war. More and more Drones entered the space of the outer colonies and were quickly destroyed by the pirate strongholds and fortresses. This procedure went on for several years during which the enemy seems to have gathered Information about us.
The arrival of the Starship that was designated as the Val'sziara started the first war with the robotic Empire. The Val'sziara destroyed several colonies completely and wiped out several of our fleets until she was stopped in a combined effort of all mankind. Contact with the infestation was then officially lost. But...
[*** System filtered Information. Clearance not high enough ]
The Infestation is controlled by an ancient AI that seems to be in search of the perfect race. It seems that it tries several forms, perfects them and then discards them for a completely new try. The schematics of the Val'sziara were based upon insectoid informations while the Drones that the pirates first encountered actually resembled ...
[*** System filtered Information. Clearance not high enough ]
[EOF]

> SLC b | [PRINT] | APL FLT RELEVANCE

The new encounter has been designated the "Rakitch Daskilia". A structural first analysis suggests that we're actually dealing with two ships at once. One of it is the mainship and the other one is the hive. Both parts resemble organic entities and are structured like actual living beings.

Mainship
The mainship could best be explained as some sort of Cargo Engine. It's equipped with two strong Solar Sails that are used as means of energy collection and propulsion. Those Solar Sails are not physically connected with the Mainship but instead are held by high energy beams.
This method allows the Rakitch to move with great speed and agility as it can freely influence the solar sail to its liking. The reactor core has been detected near the spine of the Mainship, covered under several layers of chitinous armor.

Hive
The second ship isn't actually a ship in that it lacks its own propulsion. It is however a fully intact and operational second structure. It is connected to the mainship via strong structures. The Hive actually deserves its name. It seems to be a massive factory for aggresive suicidal drones and it is highly expected that during an encounter with the Rakitch, we will have to face constant bombardement from the Hive.
The Hive itself doesn't seem to be able to survive without the energy from the Mainship though which leaves questions about its final purpose. Also, forcefully disconnecting the Hive from the mainship will most likely cause internal structure collapses that will destroy the Hive in one go.
We assume that the Rakitch planned on deploying the hive at an unknown place. Luckily we have caught it flatfooted before it could achive that.
[APPEND | a) Schematics ]
[APPEND | b) Scoutrecordings ]
[EOF]

> SLC a | RETRIEVE

Last edited by AmnEn on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:35 am, edited 3 times in total.