The Third BSF Beauty Pageant - FINISHED!

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

The Third BSF Beauty Pageant - FINISHED!

Post by Anna »

Hey guys, welcome to the Third Slightly-More-Often-Than-Annual Battleships Forever Beauty Pageant! For those of you who missed the first two, it's basically a contest, with judges, to see who submits the prettiest ships. Everyone please read the rules and criteria thoroughly before signing up.

The first two Categories are Original Ships and Fleets.
Original ships and Fleets are ships of your own unique design, and shall be judged on the following criteria:
  • --- Aesthetics: Aesthetics is the over-all attractiveness of the ship. Naturally, this is almost entirely subjective, but then again, most things are. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder, after all.
  • --- Originality: The more unique and original your ship design is, the higher your score shall be in this category. Note: An un-original concept can still make for an original ship. Many of the judges in the first BP said that "Alien Ships are unoriginal", which was silly, since the specific design was very original. Big, hulking Terran ships are unoriginal too, yet they didn't give low originality scores to any of them.
  • --- Creativity: Creativity is similar to Originality, but focuses more on how the ship is constructed, and how pieces are used. An unorthodox or original use of ship pieces would score higher points in creativity. Innovation in terms of piece usage is key here. A ship can be very aestheticly pleasing, and very original, but still fall short in this criteria. The opposite is true. A creatively designed ship isn't always necessarily original or beautiful.
  • --- Functionality: This criteria not only regards how functional your ship is in play, but also how functional it appears aestheticly. If people look at your ship and think "that looks practical and functional", you'll probably score high points here. Ships with extra detail, reactors and the like, will probably score better than ships without.Note: If a ship is meant to be a derelict, for example, and looks as functional as a derelict would, then you cannot give it a low functionality score. Doing so is an obvious misinterpretation of this rule. Functionality is scored from 1-5 instead of 1-10.
  • --- Backstory: This criteria isn't strictly necessary, and you don't have to write a backstory for your ship if you desire, however, if you choose not to write a backstory, you will score an automatic zero in this category. Backstory is scored from 1-5 instead of 1-10.
The third Category in the competition is for Fan Ships.
Fan ships are ships from a science-fiction franchise or movie, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc, or a video-game series. Basically, a ship not of your own design, but instead a pre-existing ship that you recreated in BSF. The criteria for this section are:
  • --- Aesthetics: Same as above. If the ship is ugly, it will recieve a low score. 1-10
  • --- Creativity: Same as above. 1-10
  • --- Accuracy: How accurate the ship is to the original, in terms of appearance. 1-10
  • --- Functionality: How accurate the ship is to the original, in terms of weapons load-out and the like. If you make the Enterprise-E and arm it with nothing but Railguns and Tachyon Repeaters, for example, you'll score horribly here. 1-10
Judges can chose to give a score of 0 in a certain criteria, if they feel the ship is especially deserving of it, but for the most part, scores are being 1-5 or 1-10. There aren't many rules for this competition, but what few rules there are are as follows.

1. Ships must not have already been posted on this forum: This isn't a hard and fast rule, but is is prefered. I would rather that people create new ships for this competition, instead of just handing in old ones that they made in the past.
2. Judges cannot submit ships: This is an obvious one. Judges cannot also enter ships in the competition.
3. No plagiarism: This is an obvious one too, but I feel it needs to be stated anyway. Ships entered by you, must have been made by you. No exceptions. If you submit a ship made by someone else, and you're found out, you will be disqualified, on the spot, no questions about it. NO EXCEPTIONS.
4. Be Polite: If you're not one of the Judges, you do not judge anyone's ship. You do not make insulting remarks to other contestants, and you do not abuse the Judges, if they do something you dislike, or give you a bad score. Failure to comply with this rule will likely result in disqualification.
5. Submission Rules: If you submit a ship on its own in the Original Ships category, and then submit a fleet that also contains that ship, it will not be counted towards the fleet's score.
--- 5a: Fleets must be submitted with an Encounter file that loads up all the ships in the fleet at once, so the judges don't need to go through loading them all seperately, which can be quite tedious.
--- 5b: Fanships must be submitted along with a picture and a name of the series they're from, as frequently it is difficult for the judges to find the often obscure sources.

There are also rules for becoming and acting as a Judge:
1. Seniority: The first four people to ask for the job will get it, with a few exceptions. I will reject people who I believe will be unsuited to the task, but there aren't many people who would
2. English: All Judges must be able to use proper spelling and grammar. Comments on ships in the judging phase should be at least two or three sentences long.
3. Getting the Job Done: If you will not be able to Judge the ships properly for any reason (i.e. school, work, a download or image filter that prevents you from testing the ships out, etc.) then do not apply for the position.
4. Making it Personal: Judges must be impartial. You cannot give someone a low score because you dislike them. If their ship is bad, score it on that, if not, score it appropriately, instead of decreasing the score because you dislike the person submitting it. Also, keep in mind that this is an aesthetics contest. Regardless of your opinion of ship power, you judge a ship by its appearance, not by how powerful its guns are. Weapon balance has NO place in this competition, so do not make judgements based upon it.

I think that covers everything. Questions can be posted here, or sent to me via PM. Ship entries are also posted here, along with an image (preferably in .png format), and a download to a .shp file. If you want to be a Judge, post in this thread. The first four people to ask, who meet the requirements and weren't judges in the last competition, will be accepted. Ship entries are open until the 1st of June.

Good luck, one and all!
Last edited by Anna on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Anna

Post by Anna »

--- Competition Entrants ---

Original Ships:
--- Cataclysm-class Mothership by Arcalane [Download Link]
--- Hysteria by JaffaJoke91 [Download Link]
--- Eye of Harmony by condorc3 [Download Link]
--- <s>Eteru Starbase by Anty [Download Link]</s> - Disqualified
--- Tristifal by Normandy [Download Link]
--- CRS Valshamr by Strideo [Download Link]
--- Davy Jones' Locker by ArcaneDude [Download Link]
--- Leviathan by See317 [Download Link]
--- BC.Focalon by reven1231 [Download Link]
--- Synapse by ChaosTheory [Download Link]
--- LCSS Transit Gloria by Daxx [Download Link]
--- Incendrius by Perturabo [Download Link]
--- Templar Knight by Malahite [Download Link]
--- Alpharia by bl3d4 [Download Link]
--- Nor Creature Carrier by Auriak [Download Link]
--- Kareem Heavy Lifter by M123 [Download Link]
--- Phlogiston by Water_and_Wind [Download Link]
--- <s>IVL-A-Hades class Man'o'War by Lizzie [Download Link]</s> - Disqualified
--- Argonaut by Raul [Download Link]
--- Soma by BoVinE [Download Link]
--- Armageddon's Scribe by Bad Boy [Download Link]
--- Midboss by DarthMetool [Download Link]
--- Canute class Fast Battlecruiser by Exethalion [Download Link]
--- UFS All Under Heaven by Master Chief [Download Link]
--- Incursus Heavy Battlecruiser by Wicky_42 [Download Link]
--- The Cathedral of Stars by Kazuael [Download Link]

Fan Ships:
--- Lucrehulk class Battleship by ArcaneDude [Download Link]
--- Thunderhawk Crusader Transport/Gunship; (Warhammer 40,000) by Arcalane [Download Link]
--- P-Fleet Heavy Cruiser by Nevindar See post for download.
--- Taiidan Defender by 2500kgm3 [Download Link]
--- X-Wing by Malahite [Download Link]
--- TEC Kol Battleship by M123 [Download Link]
--- Shivan Cruiser Rakshasa by Slominator [Download Link]
--- Battlestar by Raul [Download Link]
--- Arkbird by Billy Joe Bob [Download Link]
--- Thunderbolt Fighter by Dezzick [Download Link]

Fleets:
--- Spootech Fleet by Spoot Knight [Download Link]
--- Intergalactic Alliance of the People's Navy by ArcaneDude [Download Link]
--- Terran Military Fleet by M123 [Download Link]
--- Kamaitachi Armada by DeathsHand [Download Link]
--- Keldorian Unification Fleet by Shenaldrac [Download Link]
--- <s>Ixian Fleet by Anty [Download Link]</s> - Disqualified
--- The Akkadu by Water_and_Wind [Download Link]
--- The Ignian Union by Commodore111 [Download Link]
--- Synapse Fleet by ChaosTheory [Download Link]

--- Judges ---
--- Anna
--- Siber
--- Talhydas
--- Aralonia
--- RavingManiac
Last edited by Anna on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 30 times in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

I'd prefer to enter, and not judge this time around.
Currently only in Original Ships.
Talhydras
Commander
Commander

Post by Talhydras »

I'm in for judging, if you'll still have me.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Talhydras wrote:I'm in for judging, if you'll still have me.
Are you kidding? :lol: As the winner in all three categories of the last BP, there aren't many judges who are more qualified than you.
Quality Control Enforcer
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

Sign me on. Not like I've been building anything
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

I may enter this time around, depending on how much assembly language decides to kick my ass.
reven1231
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by reven1231 »

i will work on a original ship
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it"
reven1231
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by reven1231 »

i will work on a original ship
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it"
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

I'll join.
Expect another fleet - but much better this time. (Hint: there will actually be custom colours on my ships this time! :P )

I might also do an original and/or fan ship, if time permits.
Anty
Commander
Commander

Post by Anty »

may I submit my starbase?

It was posted the day before yesterday, but if I knew there was another contest coming I would have waited 2 more days
Anna

Post by Anna »

As the rules state, I prefer that people make new ships, but it's not a hard-and-fast rule, so yes, you can submit your Starbase. :D
Quality Control Enforcer
Spoot Knight
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: In the Vega star system, monitoring UCM defense movement.

Post by Spoot Knight »

Crud, suppose I'd just have to display my Crusader when I finish it then instead.
The United Commonwealth Military and Spootech Industries joint fleet.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/SpootKnight/Spootech/av-1.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1854]Spootech Industries - The Third Revision, upgrading to the Fourth Revision.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2273]How Spootech Industries came to be as it is now; the history of Spootech Industries ship making.[/url]
Anna

Post by Anna »

Entries are open until June 1st, and as previously stated, old ships can be submitted. So you can submit an old one, or alternatively, you have over a month to start/complete a new one.
Quality Control Enforcer
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Yes, count me in, Anna, for the original ship category. There goes the UFE Hand of God Mk II.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]