ok so interesting Question

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Flowrellik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

ok so interesting Question

Post by Flowrellik »

I've been messin around with the Fake Aegis lighting routine, as well as that fade in/out with the lights, and i was wondering
"Is there a way to make the effect light so if u get hit, it will glow, then fade out, like a Shield effect?"
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: ok so interesting Question

Post by Anna »

Unfortunately, no, there isn't any way to do that right now, that I know of, other than just sticking a colour aegis on the thing. And even that doesn't work too well.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Flowrellik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flowrellik »

interesting. Ok then. I hope the future releases would have that feature
Anna

Post by Anna »

I wouldn't count on there being any future releases.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Flowrellik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flowrellik »

howso? did the creator already quit?
also, here's another problem I found.
I separated a Sprite from a larger PNG, a VERY big ship sprite, but it won't show up in ship maker.
Why is that?
Anna

Post by Anna »

Flowrellik wrote:howso? did the creator already quit?
The last official release was over a year ago. Almost two years ago.
Flowrellik wrote:I separated a Sprite from a larger PNG, a VERY big ship sprite, but it won't show up in ship maker.
Why is that?
No idea. You'd have to link the .png for me to be able to determine the problem. Make sure the extension is .png, and NOT .PNG. It can't be in capital letters.
Quality Control Enforcer
Flowrellik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flowrellik »

I see. I had that problem because of Caps Lock.
Thank you. It's quite sad that the one we all have now is the last release.
be nice to see a future release.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

You could go with the MIRV beta's. I mean, they have improved physics, core sprites, and 5 new weapons, but you could probably live without it.
...especially since 2 of those weapons are just beamer variants.
......although the missiles are epic-sauce
naysayers will be shot
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Not really improved physics so much as a couple of code tweaks to 'fix' problems related to really big ships being knocked around a lot because of losing sections with lots of HP.

The MIRVs are pretty awesome though. The new beams were just thrown in to sidestep problems with custom beam sprites in surfaced mode. The Critical Object... well, everyone and their mother wanted something like it. Didn't take me long to figure out how to pull it off, with a bit of nudging from th15.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Flowrellik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flowrellik »

Interesting.
I'll give that a shot.
Also, Can someone please make multi-Core Ships a Possiblility for Ship maker? I fought the boss, and it was unique!
It gives me ideas. Grand Ideas hehehe
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Well you can simulate multiple cores to a degree parenting wise...but what are you trying to accomplish?
To your original question, the best solution I've found is an aegis shield set to near black(true black bugs). It will be invisible until you take a hit, at which point it will flare and bulge horribly depending(I think?) on how much damage is done to it. Although its invincible till its destroyed. But its about as close to star trek shielding as your gonna get.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Multi-core ships simply aren't possible without a massive rewrite of how BSF and SM handle ships.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

For your original question, you could use a full bubble shield as the main shield, and then driver another bit of a bubble shield to a PD weapon (which you would have to fiddle with-or ask STARSTRUCK) to simulate the effect of "forward shielding". It would be difficult to get to look right but could possibly be interesting.
Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself. I am only theorizing.
I use an edited screenshot of the ship itself to obtain a fitted shield, which if you check out my Scimitar in the BP you can get a good idea of what I mean.
naysayers will be shot
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

No fiddling needed, or at least no more than any other driver weapon. Remember to set the pd to firing disabled.
The process behind it is really straighforward, the pd turns to shoot down incoming projectiles and the shield turns with it thus acting as a directional shield. Set aegis to the shield and it'll do sort of what you want. Keep in mind it's not perfect though, since if it's attacked from more than one side the shield'll only work on one side. As well, the pd may mess up and turn to face random shots instead of the important ones, though that's not too likely.

You can find the ship that pioneered the idea (I think) here. It'll probably be a helpful reference to you if you try to reproduce the idea.
Flowrellik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flowrellik »

I see.
Btw, Is there such a way where u can keep a ship in Faded alpha until it attacks?