Anna Going Ballistic Over Books

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Anna Going Ballistic Over Books

Post by Anna »

Pasting it here because it's true and I must convince more people to pick up this series.
[20:19:15] <Anna> Goddamn
[20:19:16] <Anna> Just
[20:19:17] <Anna> God
[20:19:18] <Anna> Damn
[20:20:08] <Anna> I finally finished reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy. I read the first book years ago, and the second, but only got a short way into the third book because it was just too depressing at certain points. But I just finished it and holy shit is it good.
[20:21:55] <Anna> Siber
[20:22:03] <Anna> you should really read these books
[20:22:08] <Anna> they are so good
[20:26:49] * Anna now immediately downloads Mistborn 4 - Alloy of Law, because he wants more
[20:27:14] * Anna is already angry that Mistborn 5 isn't coming out 'til next year, because Alloy of Law is almost guaranteed to only last him days.
[20:33:25] <Anna> The thing is
[20:33:29] <Anna> Brandon Sanderson
[20:33:41] <Anna> Is really good at making you think you know what's going on
[20:34:01] <Anna> You think you have everything sorted out. You think you know exactly how things are going, or what's happening.
[20:34:37] <Anna> And then he punches you in the face and says "Nope! You're fucking wrong! THIS is actually what's going on! I tricked you motherfucker"
[20:34:44] <Anna> And it works
[20:34:49] <Anna> It doesn't feel cheap.
[20:35:28] <Anna> The twists make more sense than the ideas you had worked out in your head. Ideas he placed there to intentionally subvert and make you go "Oh snap!" when he reveals that he had you fooled all along.
[20:35:35] <Anna> It's an amazing talent
[20:37:36] * Anna is still experiencing emotional turmoil from the last few pages of Book 3
[20:37:46] <Anna> It's just
[20:37:48] <Anna> so much
[20:37:49] <Anna> so good
[20:37:52] <Anna> must read
[20:37:53] <Anna> do it
[20:38:10] <Anna> i don't care if you are sleeping right now, i will force these books into your dreams
[20:38:18] <Anna> you must read them
[21:05:47] <Anna> And the best and most clever part is
[21:05:50] <Anna> that by Book 3
[21:06:00] <Anna> You're used to having the rug pulled out from under you
[21:06:12] <Anna> And so you think "Oh, I know what you're doing... that can't be right"
[21:06:14] <Anna> So
[21:06:22] <Anna> He mixes it up a bit
[21:06:36] <Anna> So you expect some things of being tricks, when they're actually not
[21:06:43] <Anna> And things you were SO CONFIDENT ABOUT
[21:06:49] <Anna> Turn out to be the tricks instead
[21:06:50] <Anna> kinda
[21:06:51] <Anna> I mean
[21:06:54] <Anna> It's just
[21:06:55] <Anna> brilliant
[21:07:06] <Anna> I CANNOT SPEAK FULL SENTENCES RIGHT NOW
[21:07:13] <Anna> Everything is just thought fragments
[21:07:19] <Anna> because he blew my fucking mind
The series is the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. The first book is called Mistborn: The Final Empire. Go read it now. Go. Do it. It's so good. FUCKING DO IT. Please. kay. :D
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Anna Going Ballistic Over Books

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Well er, what are they about? (genre, setting, ect.)
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Sounds like it's worth looking into, his completion of WOT was all I could have hoped it would be so I'm inclined to try more of his stuff. Thanks Anna.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

The mistborn series is awesome i was introduced late last year and have since read the first three, they are expertly written and sanderson is an excellent story teller.

I want to be able to do allomancy

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Necrontyr1998 wrote:Well er, what are they about? (genre, setting, ect.)
Genre: Fantasy. For the first trilogy at least.

Setting: A planet called Scadriel, that for 1000 years has been under the control of a man who calls himself the Lord Ruler. His favored people, the nobility, enslave, oppress and kill the peasant class of people known as Skaa. The sky is filled with ashclouds and the sun is red, and at night a thick and mystical mist comes out. Ash falls perpetually from the sky, plants are withered and brown. Life sucks. And so a bunch of awesome Skaa gather together to try to overthrow the Lord Ruler and save the world. Things... happen. Anything else would be spoilers.

The setting also has a really detailed and well-fleshed-out magic system. Three magic systems, technically.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Wow, that actually sounds pretty good! Reminds me of the 'Fire tome' trilogy (warhammer 40K). I think ill check it out!
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Anna

Post by Anna »

It's awesome.
Quality Control Enforcer
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

I'll see if a torrent is available of it in electronic format.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Ambitious Builder
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ambitious Builder »

SIGN ME UP!
but yeah ill read the first at least
Anna

Post by Anna »

I finished Book 4, which is set three centuries after the original trilogy. It's also awesome.

Now, have some more of me gushing, in the hopes it might encourage more of you to read the series:
[17:45] <Anna> Do you like reading?
[17:46] <Anna> I kinda really want to get you to read a book series. >_> But I remember I've sent you copies of books before and afaik you never really read them.
[17:46] <_Lizzie_> uh, sure, I just have to be in a mood to put other shit down to read
[17:46] <_Lizzie_> why?
[17:46] <Anna> Because I really wanna get you to read the Mistborn series. 'Cause it's totes awesome. XD
[17:47] <Anna> I think you'd really like it. It has some really cool and well-detailed magic systems in it.
[17:47] <Anna> And really great characters.
[17:47] <Anna> And it's emotional and smart
[17:47] <Anna> And I kinda love it
[17:47] <_Lizzie_> hmm
[18:03] <_Lizzie_> you have been squeeing over it for the past couple of days
[18:03] <Anna> Yes I have, heh.
[18:09] <Anna> RE Mistborn: Lemme explain Allomancy, 'cause it's really cool, and the primary magic system in the setting. Allomancy works by ingesting metals, and then by "burning" the metals inside them, Allomancers are able to draw on powers, depending on which metal they burn. Mistborn can use all the Allomantic metals, and are quite rare. More common are Mistings, who are only able to use one Allomantic metal. Examples: Pewter. When an Allomancer burns pewter they basically become like Wolverine, able to survive wounds that would otherwise kill them, become stronger, faster, more agile, etc. Steel: When burned, the allomancer sees faint blue lines tracing outward from their body towards any nearby sources of metal. The can then focus on the lines and push against them, and depending on their weight and the weight of the metal they're pushing, either the metal will go flying in that direction, or they will fly away from the metal in question. Iron has the opposite effect from steel, allowing you to pull a metal towards yourself instead of pushing it away.
[18:09] <Anna> Then there's some more interesting stuff, like Atium, a very very rare and mystical metal. When burning Atium, an Allomancer can see a few seconds into the future and their minds are enhanced to process this information, basically letting them react to incoming attacks before they even occur. This power is so potent that it allows people with NO OTHER POWERS, to fight against and beat creatures that are basically ogres. Lots of them. I'm talking like, 1 otherwise normal person burning atium able to fight and win against dozens and dozens of creatures that range from 5-13 feet tall and are inhumanly strong.
[18:11] <Anna> I really like Allomancy, because it's so unique and really well fleshed-out in how it works. A lot of magic systems in fantasy novels leave things very vague, but Mistborn basically explains in quite a lot of detail how the three different magic systems in it work, and they're all quite cool. All three magic systems are based around metal.
[18:18] <Anna> Some other allomantic metals: Tin, the compliment of Pewter. All Allomantic metals are paired, doing similar but often opposite things. Tin enhances the senses instead of the body, allowing the Allomancer to see, hear, smell and all that jazz much more sharply. It also enhances the mind, allowing you to think more clearly. Zinc lets you enflame emotions in people, and you're able to focus on specific emotions if you want, but it doesn't let you read minds. The compliment to Zinc is Brass, which lets you soothe emotions instead. Bronze lets you sense other people using Allomancy, and if you're really good with it, it lets you sense what kind of Allomancy is being used, and Copper makes you immune to Zinc and Brass, and it hides you and anyone nearby from someone using Bronze. And there are 8+ other metals that all have detailed effects of what they can and can't do. And it's really good and consistent and awesome.
[18:18] * Anna really likes this series.
[18:18] <_Lizzie_> so can you use more then one at a time if you're mistborn
[18:19] <Anna> Yes. A Mistborn can use all the metals.
[18:19] <Anna> And can use all of them at once if they want to.
[18:19] <_Lizzie_> huh
[18:20] <_Lizzie_> and they... EAT the metal?
[18:20] <_Lizzie_> HERE HAVE A INGOT
[18:20] <_Lizzie_> GROM NOM NOM NOM
[18:20] <Anna> Usually drink it. Powdered metal stored in vials of oil to prevent corrosion.
[18:21] <_Lizzie_> nb4 lead poisoning for all the mages
[18:21] <Anna> Lead isn't an allomantic metal
[18:21] <Anna> Also burning the metal removes it from their body
[18:22] <Anna> It actually mentions in the book that allomancers pretty much always burn away their metalreserves before going to sleep, to prevent it from poisoning them.
So there, now you know a bit more about the magic in the Mistborn series and you should totally read it, omg.

I have also just learned that there is a Mistborn Pen & Paper RPG, which I fully intend to grab and perhaps run a game of sometime in the future. And they're developing a videogame to be released on the next-gen Playstation and X-Box consoles. So basically I am in love with this series, and all of you should be too.

Anna out
Quality Control Enforcer
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Anna wrote:So there, now you know a bit more about the magic in the Mistborn series and you should totally read it, omg.
Been looking for a new series to get into, specifically since the two I am currently on are still being written (Second Apocalypse - R Scott Bakker, and Game of Thrones). Will give this a try. Thanks.
Anna

Post by Anna »

I am glad to have been of assistance, and anything that gets more people reading this series is awesome. I've since moved on to reading more of Brandon Sanderson's work. The Way of Kings, the first book in what is intended to be a 10-part series. It was pretty damn good. I'm now reading Warbreaker, which is a stand-alone novel by Brandon Sanderson. It is also fantastic.

If you read Sanderson's work, keep an eye out for someone named Hoid. He... gets around.
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Post by Anna »

Because I'm a dumbass who gets sucked into books and decides he must finish them now even though he has work tomorrow, I have also finished Warbreaker. Pretty good. I offer this excerpt from the novel that doesn't contain any spoilers, but entertained me greatly:
“Allmother controls the last group of Lifeless,” Blushweaver said.

“An odd choice, don’t you think?” Lightsong said. “I mean, I am a logical choice - assuming you don’t know me, of course - since I’m supposedly bold. Hopefinder represents justice, a nice mix with soldiers. Even Mercystar, who represents benevolence, makes a kind of sense for one who controls soldiers. But Allmother? Goddess of matrons and families? Giving her ten thousand Lifeless is enough to make even me consider my drunk-monkey theory.”

“The one who chooses names and titles of the Returned?”

“Exactly,” Lightsong said. “I’ve actually considered expanding the theory. I am now proposing to believe that God - or the universe, or time, or whatever you think controls all of this - is all really just a drunk monkey.”

She leaned over, squeezing her arms together, seriously threatening to pop her bosom out the front of her dress. “And, you think my title was chosen by happenstance? Goddess of honesty and interpersonal relations. Seems to fit, wouldn’t you say?”

He hesitated. Then he smiled. “My dear, did you just try to prove the existence of God with your cleavage?”

She smiled. “You’d be surprised what a good wriggle of the chest can accomplish.”

“Hum. I’d never considered the theological power of your breasts, my dear. If there were a Church devoted to them, perhaps you’d make a theist out of me after all.”
A little context: Lightsinger and Blushweaver are beings called "Returned", who are believed by some to be, and who are worshiped as, Gods.

And now I'm going to sleep before I feel compelled to start reading Elantris, instead of FUCKING SLEEPING BECAUSE I NEED TO BE AWAKE FOR WORK IN FIVE HOURS.
Quality Control Enforcer