Chainships, anyone? (Signups closed)

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

So, what about a new chainship project, guys?

Let's go, team!
86%
No. This is a waste of time.
14%

Total votes: 51

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I believe TBE stormed off in shame after his stupidity at the last BP, and hasn't had the courage to show his miserable excuse for a face around here since.

In any case, I'll be blunt and say I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but it should be... interesting to see what happens in any case.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Kaelis wrote:Seraph, as long as people are having fun and there is even a slight possibility for them to learn something or just do something creative, there is nothing wrong with it.
I never said there was anything wrong with it. In fact I encouraged people to have fun. That wasn't sarcastic on my part.
Your three points don't really matter, because who said this absolutely has to result in something decent?
I should fucking hope these people want it to result in something decent.
Eri wrote:Regarding a possible lack of good weenies to enlist, in addition to point 2: A good idea would be to standardize the usage of SW sections in the construction of the chainship. It is a well-known fact that SW sections are markedly easier to blend together in comparison to stock-style sections, thus increasing the number of potential candidates we have at our disposal. I acknowledge that there are some people terrible enough to make even SW sections look fucking fugly, but our skill threshold has still significantly been reduced.
It's not even just the sections used. It's how they're used. Even if you just limit it to Kaelis's SW-sections there's a ton of different ways they can be used and if three people use them in three different ways on the same ship, things will go badly.

Anyway, I never said that this would absolutely turn out poorly, just that I don't have high expectations.

If those involved would like me to contribute, then I may. I dunno, though. it depends on some things.[/quote]
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

Since my last post got deleted, if its checked and every edit is saved , this could work. Rules should be decided at the beginning or else i'd see this moving off in the wrong direction.

Offtopic :Since its going to be asked anyway, i'll go ahead and post it.

I'm sad to see Anna got his privileges revoked over such a small thing and i'd like to see him back where he was.

This raises the simple question of, who is going to be the next moderator ?
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Ill join in, if you can consider me good enough by now.
hydraneth
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hydraneth »

Ill have a crack at it, even tho my previous ships have been classed as "penisbrick".
Hege
Commander
Commander

Post by Hege »

Seems rather intresting.
Though it might be slightly problematic to pull off with all thise fancy doodle features that came out.

Only thing to say is that if you guys can actually make some sort of a work out with this on who does what in what areas but still keep it in a suprising function, we might actually make something pretty here.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/ddoxt0.gif[/img]
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

Okay, seeing as we've got enough interest, I suppose we can start laying down some preliminary guidelines and rules.

Rules.

Who does what?

Basically, people who join can indicate their preference in regards to what kind of job they want to do. We're talking about deciding whether, for instance, you want to work on the hull, or if you want to add primary armament, or if you want to colour the damn thing or deck it out with doodads and effects. Obviously the hull is the most important thing to do, and most will be working on it. If you're one of those doing the hull, you have to decide if you want to lay the foundations by building up the main hull or if you want to come along later and work on finishing touches.

Who's in charge?

The whole effort will be coordinated by myself, but I also want two or three people to help me out as I won't be around most of the time. These people might or might not be people working on the project themselves (though seeing as they'll be veteran shipbuilders themselves it's better if they are) and their job is to police this whole affair, by doing things like keeping order, passing judgement on entries making sure they're up to standard. It's important that these people stay objective and level headed, but it's also important they have an eye for good shipbuilding and know their way around it themselves, and I'll be choosing lieutenants based upon those two qualities.

Okay, I'm in the queue to have a go, and I know who's in charge. Now what?

Basically, each person builds upon the efforts of the last according to their place in the queue. Each person has 3 days to prepare their submission upon receiving the .sb4 and custom sprites folder. There's no need to use all three days, but if you miss your deadline, you will be skipped and the next person in line will start over from the last iteration.

IMPORTANT: Once you've completed your iteration, it is imperative that you load what you've got ingame to make sure it actually works and doesn't spawn errors. A nonfunctional iteration is worthless to all of us.

Once you're done, the ship is put up for review by myself and the judges, and unless you have managed to make an ugly catastrophe, you'll then be cleared to PM your creation to the next person in line, who starts all over again.

Guidelines

What kind of ship are we making?

That's not set - though it depends largely on the first two or three people to work on the hull. Don't feel compelled to stick to a theme, but use your common sense. Only add something if it's going to look good and won't look out of place. If what we have is a traditional terran battleship, feel free to put some nacelles on it, for instance. Just don't do something that doesn't fit at all, like putting blocky turbolaser turrets all over a curvy alien vessel.

What kind of size are we looking at?

Big. Bigger than 500, at the least. A few people are going to be working on this, after all, and a thirty-section destroyer isn't enough to keep us all occupied. However, we don't want to hit the code line limit that stops a ship with too much on it from loading either - use some restraint. I'm guessing that this chainship will be roughly the same size as the first one.

What sections can I use?

For the sake of simplicity and aesthetics, we're going to use just the new SW-sections. Ideally, the same will go for weapon sprites.

Triggers? Yes or no?

If we're going to use any triggers at all, I'd rather it be kept somewhat limited to avoid complication. If we are going to use movement triggers, they'll most likely be applied at the very end of the hull construction phase.

How much leeway do I get with the previous person's iteration?

Some - if there's a section that you think won't mesh well with what you've got in mind and would be better replaced by something else, feel free to remove it and put your own there. However, you must not be a dick. Is someone made a beautiful and realistic looking bridge, or reactor core, or engine array, you are forbidden from deleting it. Doing that will get you kicked off the project.

What if I want advice or feedback while I'm making my iteration?

Ask for it! There's no rule that stops you looking for feedback mid-construction - it's better if you do that and pass approval instead of keeping clammed and end up presenting a monstrosity that the judges will turn down.

I think that's all for now. If you'd like to take part, just say so, and indicate what exactly you want to do.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I think I'd like to get in on this. With a little effort, the ship should end up decent, and it'll be fun, plus I went away for the last one and never had a chance at it so I'd like to work on this one.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Suggestion: Instead building randomly, which will almost certainly end up in another generic 'terran' vessel, decide on the style and shape of the ship first, ie. have a proper concept.
unsunghero10
Commander
Commander

Post by unsunghero10 »

Or it could be a chimera, no mirroring at all.
It would have a much greater chance at failing, but would be many times better than a good mirrored ship if done right.

Don't take that seriously, it's just an idea. :?
Lurk more
pick yer poison
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pick yer poison »

This sounds like a lot of run, regardless of what the final product ends up being. Count me in.
"Three rights may make a left, but there's still something drastically wrong with your pathfinding algorithm."
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

That will be the end of any discussion on Anna's mod status. Take it elsewhere.

As for the ship, I'd suggest working on shape only first, triggers are a real pain to modify repeatedly.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Theres a good idea, how about we work only with the Kae Sprites and only with his SW sprites, because I must say they rock.

If we get a roster of people and each person gets a turn dependant upont their place on the roster, then it would be easy ish to manage, and when we reach the end of the roster the first person gets another shot at it.

Could also get a board of judges like 2 or 3 really good ship makers as voted by the people of the forums. and these judges decide whether the new additions / modifications are up to scratch and fit with the style of the ship, or at least blend well with it, then we could end up with a good looking vessel.

Maybe if the additions aren't good enough that person gets a skip turn, and maybe we could have several teams of builders with each team a group of like 5 each randomly drawn from the people who are interested and considered to be at least half way decent in shipbuilding then we could have a competition.

And maybe the judges could do a ship as a group too and keep it hidden from the rest of the people, trying to make it better than all the others.

If we go by aesthetics and look for the overall judging then it could be fun, the judges ship could get a rating by votes by the members of the forum ranging from 1 to 10 in a separate poll and then average the poll results for the ships score, or maybe that could be how all the ships are scored... or something like that.

This is what sleep deprivation makes me do, type out my thoughts as thy come to my head and then wonder the next day what all the text was written for.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

main part of what silverware said that i agree with is having two or three vets who aren't building and therefore aren't biased. Still have Verimator in charge as his rules stated, but it would be nice to have criticism and advice from someone who isn't pissed that his additions got changed, etc.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

I'd like to put a vote towards making a spiky alien ship.
Just a thought