Shipmaker feature requests

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Siber
Captain
Captain

Post by Siber »

Sprite change trigger effects and on-damage-level triggers. So we can make battle damaged ships happen dynamically.
seriously Anna. seriously oh my gawd seriously.

Author of DAF and Sillyness
Co-founder Homeworld:@
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Siber wrote:Sprite change trigger effects and on-damage-level triggers. So we can make battle damaged ships happen dynamically.
I suspect this would work like changing to sprite XXX when HP is at XXX.

You have my support for this suggestion.
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

Siber wrote:Sprite change trigger effects and on-damage-level triggers. So we can make battle damaged ships happen dynamically.
Yeah, that's a really good idea. One kind of wierd thing you could do with that is have sections that change color or effect as they are damaged, or hae a navy ship morph to alien sections lol.
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Hypothetical Wisdom wrote:
Yeah, that's a really good idea. One kind of wierd thing you could do with that is have sections that change color or effect as they are damaged, or hae a navy ship morph to alien sections lol.
That happens already to an extent. Sections turn darker as they are damaged.
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

A module that absorbs damage taken by a ship (either total damage, or damage to one section), and is then able to give bonus damage to a weapon, or buff a targeted weapon by a percentage relative to damage absorbed.

Also, a whole ship deflector module that is able to reduce incoming damage for as long as it has energy.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
natan_j
Commander
Commander

Post by natan_j »

How about combine the two into one, giving it two key fields; absorption energy cost (energy/damage), and percentage reduction.
It would probably be annoying to set up to protect the whole ship, as each section hit would have to check if the ship has one of the modules left. It could probably work better by targetting a single section, so you could also target it at a bubbleshield section to add a new spin on shielding.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2267]Ships of the Imperial Tul'tharian Navy.[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2878]Minifleet Project.[/url]
LukeRM
Commander
Commander

Post by LukeRM »

FIREST0RM000 wrote:A module that absorbs damage taken by a ship (either total damage, or damage to one section), and is then able to give bonus damage to a weapon, or buff a targeted weapon by a percentage relative to damage absorbed.
Energy absorbers!

I'd like them to be like those in SOTS, reducing energy damage and increasing the damage/clipsize/etc relative to damage taken of all the hit ship's energy weapons.
As for the scanning thing, maybe it could make a invisible field which wraps around the ship, but targeting a single section would be fine too.
[url=http://rm51-place.at.ua/]Some random site I made.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3301][img]http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq306/LukeRM/griatianflet.png[/img][/url][url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=88508#88508][img]http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq306/LukeRM/databanks.png[/img][/url]
VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

1.) Make it so that the SM window can be resized without stretching or squishing the actual stuff inside. (So, basically, scroll bars in SM when you resize the window.)
2.) Reset the order of sections in SM. I was really confused when I downloaded SM4 and the sections were in the opposite order from SM3 (the one I was used to.) I want to go back to the old section order!
3) I like FIREST0RM's idea of a damage absorption module. But I think it should somewhat work like a deflector: it affects only one section at a time. However, my idea is that it must "vent" the energy it absorbs much more slowly than it absorbs more energy, meaning that if the section it protects is under heavy fire for too long, the module will explode, destroying the section it was protecting (encouraging strategic placement and protection) and damaging nearby sections.
4) For triggers, it might be easier to use the "name" box for indicating what parts to use. So, if I was building the recoiling gun from the first example in Mak0's guide to triggers, I would have to name the blaster and then, on the moving part's ED2 tab, set the blaster's name in a "Source" entry field. This would help clear up some of the confusion caused by the current trigger-setting method.

But, personally, I think we should really fix a lot of the bugs we already have before adding the possibilities of new ones. I'd rather have a old functional version rather than a new broken one.
Ne me forcez pas à arracher votre gorge, s'il vous plaît.
~~~~~
[b]ZOMG NINJA SARCASM[/b] :shock:
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

Someone might have mentioned this, but if not, I suggest allowing custom explosion sprites.
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

Yeah, that and custom firing sounds/explosion sounds.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

How about Surfaces for sections? Possible or not?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Hypothetical Wisdom wrote:Yeah, that and custom firing sounds/explosion sounds.
Cannot happen. Though theoretically you can replace them with your own, which gives some degree of customization I suppose.
parameciumkid wrote:Someone might have mentioned this, but if not, I suggest allowing custom explosion sprites.
Something else that probably can't happen, due to the way explosions are set up.
TheBlueEcho wrote:How about Surfaces for sections? Possible or not?
Uhm, what? Do you have any idea what the surfaces system is? Or are you babbling about something else entirely? If you mean sections blurring onto the surfaces layer with ship movement, that's probably the stupidest idea I've heard all day.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Arcalane wrote: Uhm, what? Do you have any idea what the surfaces system is? Or are you babbling about something else entirely? If you mean sections blurring onto the surfaces layer with ship movement, that's probably the stupidest idea I've heard all day.
Might be good for shields on slow ships.
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

If you're looking for custom explosions, a way around the issue is to take the weapon with the weapon impact you want, and change the actual weapon sprite to what you want it to look like, along with bullet sprite, then tweak weapon behaviour until it acts like the weapon it looks like. It doesn't work with everything obviously, but in the most recent fleet I'm making, the Foundation has a Flashbolter that looks and behaves like a particle cannon, beauase I love the PC's weapon sprite and like the turret itself, but I don't like the impact. I do, however, like the FB impact, but don't like the weapon much itself. Match made in heaven for me.
Last edited by Verminator on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Fun Fact: The PCannon used to make the same explosion sounds on shot detonation as the Flashbolt. Things got confusing pretty quickly. :mrgreen:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ