Mini Fleets. Do Arca's thing instead.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Would you be interested?

Yes
86%
There should be multiple options, but having a "No" option for this would be pointless
14%

Total votes: 51

lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Mini Fleets. Do Arca's thing instead.

Post by lightstriker »

Goal:
Create a series of roughly balanced, easy on frame-rate Mini Fleets.

Once a decent number have been completed, begin work on creating encounters, videos... whatever... using these.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Announcements:
2/19: Due to various technical issues that make me want to punch things, I'm not going to be releasing carriers. Balance them however you like.

2/19 (technically, and barely): Dreads and Cruisers fixed. Sorry about that.

2/18: Yes, I'm still trying to do this :) Sample fleet updated again. Download just below.

2/02: Working on general carrier balancing stuff. Once finished, expect a frigate and cruiser class carrier. As well, working on a main-line dreadnought (sorry about the lack of one so far)

2/02: Balanced Fleet and Judges download fixed, there SHOULD no longer be any sprite issues. As well, 2 more ships were added to the balance fleet download, a carrier (which might be upgraded a bit when I finish carrier balancing work) and a mainline cruiser.

1/31: Working on carriers for balancefleet now

1/31: I REALLY fucked up with the templates thing. I'm sorry. For anyone who was inconvenienced or turned off from trying this by that fiasco... I'm sorry. That's really all there is to say

Recent Edits:
edit: Judges are now completely innacurate. Balance fleet updated

edit: Judges download has been updated with 5 more judges. Please read the section on judges for information on these new judges.

edit: New and improved layout work underway.

edit: New sample balance fleet up. Now with less issues.
Sample Fleet Download
New (actually correctly balanced [See General Announcements]) fleet to give you balance/ size ideas... complete! Please note that these ships were made following (As far as I can tell) all the rules that "real" fleets are supposed to follow. Default colored cores, some default color parts of the ship, etc.)
Download

Also, just a fyi, I used suffixes to indicate ship "class"
Wind: Brawler
Storm: Long range fire support
Rain: Carrier
Wing: Heavy Weapons

And yes, I am fully aware of the fact that the names are idiotic. Deal with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------
General FAQ/ Rules:
Please note that every "size" that I give you in this document is the amount of pixels RADIUS. It also doesn't include bubble shields, etc.

Feel free to use custom sections. However, if you do use ones that are not from the custom sections section of this website, please put up a download of the sections, as well as information on where to place them.

SOME default coloring is now required on all ships. As well, all ships cores must be default colored (feel free to cover up the core though, of course).

If possible, please have thrusters on your ship that, when destroyed, result in your ship being left with 0 accel, 0 turning, 0 speed.

This is purely for fun.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Judges

Please note that these are no longer accurate

I am releasing a series of "Judge" craft. These ships are designed to evaluate the strength of your ships in various categories, on a scale of A-D.

NO ship should be able to pass the "A" test. Yes, I do mean none (unless you speak with me). A class tests are identified by red coloring on the judge
Generally, ships that pass B class tests would be on the stronger side of (dps, hp, shielding, w/e) spectrum. B class tests are identified by yellow coloring on the judge
Ships that pass C class tests would be more or less average in the category. C class tests are identified by blue coloring on the judge
Ships that pass D class tests would be worse in that area. D class tests are identified by green coloring on the judge
Please note that these are not rules, just... guidelines really. Obviously, judges are not going to work correctly for all types of craft.

How to use the judges:
Damage test: Place a single, AI controlled (or, if necessary, manually controlled) ship (from your fleet) against the corresponding shield ship. If the ship breaks the green shield, it is D class, etc.
BEWARE OF SECTION SKIPPING WEAPONS. causes problems. If the shield seems to be healing much less than it should (or not at all) that's probably why.

Fighter Class Shield test: Spawn a single, AI controlled fighter, as well as the judge of the level you want to test your fighter at. If your fighter doesn't get destroyed, it passes.
Warning: This test does NOT have perfectly consistent results. Please run it multiple times, just to be sure.

Other Shield Test: Spawn a single, AI controlled ship of whatever class, as well as a judge of the corresponding class. These judges do NOT have classes. Instead, please use the time taken for the judge to destroy your ship as an indicator of the strength of the ships defenses
If the judge is unable to destroy your ship, please spawn a judge of the level higher. If this judge is unable to destroy your ship... please re-balance your ship :D
(as there is no class higher than dreadnought, if the dreadnought class judge is unable to destroy your ship, please spawn the heavy dreadnought class judge).
Be aware that your minifleet will not be only opposing such simple armaments. Expect to have to deal with AOE fire, Shield piercers, etc.

Please run all of these tests with AI enabled.

get the judges (edit: Updated download)here

Again, sorry. If anyone needs clarification on this, and/or has suggestions for additional judges, please tell me. Thank you very much.
My Suggestions
My (approximate)recommended sizes: (in radius. I guess)
Fighters: 5-30
Corvettes: 40-80
Frigate: 60-120
Cruiser: 100-160
Dreadnaught/ Battleship: 120-200
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coming Soon
Station stuff
Carriers
(Possibly) More ships in demo fleet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Downloads:
(for now, just my stuff I guess)
Lightstriker:
Balance Fleet Download
My "Real" fleet (yes I'm still working on it)
AD's Stuff
Eri's Stuff
Blackhart's fleet
CheesyErwin's fleet
Thanks To:
Natan_J: Coming up with a way to get useful non-fighter shield judges.
As usual, all suggestions/ criticism about problems with this and/or on how to make this convenient/ easy for... everyone... would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you
Last edited by lightstriker on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:48 am, edited 88 times in total.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Sounds like fun,and it would give me something to do rather than utterly screw around.(not that that is a bad thing)

Sure.
natan_j
Commander
Commander

Post by natan_j »

You can use my minifleet as a model to balance against, the full download can be found here.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2267]Ships of the Imperial Tul'tharian Navy.[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2878]Minifleet Project.[/url]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

More specifications would be necessary for proper balancing as well as general creation; size and power guidelines, that kind of thing. That said I might try my hand at a few.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

-irrelevent-
Last edited by lightstriker on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

I'm interested in doing this, but I agree with Arc that we need some more specifications concerning balancing.

EDIT: I didn't see LS's post, I believe Natan's fleet would be fine for this.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

My point was specs HERE on the forum - so we don't have to have BSF running in the background. It's easier to read text here than ingame after all.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

-irrelevent-
Last edited by lightstriker on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

hmm...

I dono if I could wrap myself around this form of balancing.

Gimme time and I should be able to pull something off.
Looks to mee it is just give your ships narry nada HP and weapons that belong on galaxy class ships.so basically 1 hit kills.

EDIT: gimme time to check droids stuff.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

-irrelevent-
Last edited by lightstriker on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

If there will be time... why not
[b][color=red]Comrade Malahite
Red Star Navy senior designer[/color][/b]
[i]"True beauty lies in the eye of the viewer"[/i]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8817/signeh5.jpg[/img]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Ok,so roughly stock balanced.

Would something like this as a big baddie disqualify me?He is pretty big.(I also have a guy about the size of a Nagaya 3 in the hopper)

I really would love to get my new plasma cannons a whirl.
Last edited by SHAD0Wdump on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Throwing my chips to express interest.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I would rather enjoy doing this. As luck would have it, I was just starting a small ships fleet, so it works out well for me.
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

Sounds like this could give me some direction with playing with the new SM features - just kinda run into a creative brick wall with so much being thrown at me after a long absence, lol
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]