Random acts of violence with Shipmaker

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Random acts of violence with shipmaker

Post by Bad Boy »

DLing now, I'll give you a rundown once I test them.
Please tell me you fixed the speed though. And sorry for not fully testing the last set, I just didn't have the time, but I will for this set.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I definitely upped the speed, and range of the ships, as well as that of the weapons. Torpedoes stayed powerful but lost the majority of their blast radius. Ship classes, assigned by size, are limited on the number of weapons and point defense. The two projectile categories were merged; leaving projectiles slightly more powerful than conventional beams I think, but I can offset that with deviation and reload later if need be.

Now if the speed difference between classes needs to be decreased I can certainly do that, but I wanted it to be obvious that a frigate could out run a battleship but not out gun/tank it. The difference between a battleship and a lesser ship may seem ridiculous, but in most of my tests a 3 or 5 to 1 ratio usually took down even the more powerful ships. I'm thinking about merging some of the ships that fell into the dread category by size into the battleship group, and creating a boss category that would allow said uber ship to take on a whole fleet. Might be more entertaining, I don't know.

Don't feel you have to test every ship since most individual characteristics will be fiddled with later on. My main concern is overall balance and the difference between classes. And of course annoying bugs/mistakes :roll:
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I'm still testing them, I'll try to finish it up soon so you can get your feedback, but in the mean time, a few little things:
1) Prometheus' grav beam doesn't drain energy. I'm not sure if this is the case on other ships or not, or if it's deliberate.
2) Check the parenting on the giant warbird. Also, I'd reccomend moving its core back, it's weaker than it should be because of that.
3) Please man, fix the accel. 3 accel is 300, when the die they shoot off at ridiculous speeds and it looks like shit. Not to mention, when they get hit they (particularly the smaller, faster ships) sort of teleport. Both of these happen because of the ridiculous accel; destroyed sections for a moving ship move at accel (or some amount of it) and knockback for losing sections seems to be the same. Most importantly, it's not necessary, set the accel to about double the speed, they won't stop on a dime, but they'll still stop fast, and their deaths won't glitch the hell out of everything. Also, I might be wrong, but it may also be the reason for some odd ai behaviour, where they bob back and forth.

Oh, on the positive, the weapons and weapon balancing is excellent. Great stuff there.
apals
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by apals »

jwa8402,

Fantastic, is all i can say to all your designs. thanks for your tips, if we were in a academy i would have joined you as an apprentice.

I like the way it looks like very smart space civilizations. (if you forgive the analogy)

can you suggest any software on which to create sections that look like those.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

psst, apals, these are fan ships! :lol: not to say that they aren't fantastic, fan ships are particularly difficult to make, and to make playable and balance whole fleets is a great job. the sections are mostly kaelis' sw stuff i believe as well as those that jwa's made especially. pretty much any picture editing drawing programme will do as long as it can export as .png and/or .gif, photoshop or gimp for example are good
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
apals
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by apals »

I have a serious question.

now herein most of the guys seem to be pro. is there a forum/topic in which a new designer can show his work and ask for advice. because starting a new topic for a new_design does not seem a good idea.

and i would not like to update my old topic (apals royal fleet) because the moment i update , it shows at the tops of the topic list, which can be embarrassing because of the mistakes i have made.

i really want one of the pro's to put a section for newbies to post their work and gain advice. it can be at a static position on the forum.

Like to thank Aurafire, for the tips
Last edited by apals on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

@apals, just add your new material by editing your posts in your old topic, that way they won't jump up the list.
@jwa, can't be arsed to watch the film again just now to be sure, but I don't think it was the US at that point just after the war, weren't they the western alliance or something. Oh well, w/e. All sci-fi is total BS, and I'm saying that as a serious fan of 35 years. I'll have OP ready in a couple of days, just greebling him up at the mo. BTW, vorcha translates as "cure torpedoes". Go figure...
Don't worry chaps, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist

Some people spread happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

@son tzu: Good stuff!
@badboy:Owch ya I screwed up the speed stuff badly, didn't think it through. Consider that batch worthless. I think your right about the odd ai behavior and the way to fix it so now that I'm back in town I'll try that.
@apals: As vidboi said, the designs are all fan ships, either cannon or shamelessly pilfered from the internet. The sections are almost all made by Kaelis with notable exceptions like danny. I've modified quite a few in minor ways though and I suppose it was rather rude to release such a thing without asking permission.

Also, something for the random lols since sketchup is awesome. Needless to say, wip and open to suggestions.
TheBuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by TheBuilder »

I thank my bran just boke. "shakes his head a bit"

Umm ya, you get the idea, in other words, HOLY SHIT THATS AWSOME!!!
now color it

Lolz.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

My goal is to build the most epic thing possible, PERIOD.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."
Areze
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Areze »

I'm digging that Hestia. Awesome. :D
InsaneCat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by InsaneCat »

:shock: this... i... omg this is awesome! I remember trying to do 3D hestia in blender but it didnt worked.
"Though I charge through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am driving a house-sized mass of "fuck you."
"HURRR?"
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Nice job on the model, its sweet. Now I want to import that into Freelancer or something haha
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Heh glad you guys like it, was kinda wondering for a few days there... I'm downloading some more appropriate textures now.

Got two other bits, an attempt at Atlantis and a bunch of fighters.
Attachments
SMscreen022.png
SMscreen020.png
InsaneCat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by InsaneCat »

I see Y-wing, X-wing, Tie, Colonial Viper, Cylon Rider and A-wing... don't know others. Still, looking awesome.
"Though I charge through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am driving a house-sized mass of "fuck you."
"HURRR?"
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

Atlantis :D bit more depthing and that would be perfect, loving some of the fighters though i don't know where they are all from. Made me realise that some fighter designs are easily applicable to larger ships, nice work :)

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.