Master Slave Project

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

STARSTRUCK

Master Slave Project

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Buh. Been in Saudi Arabia for the past week or so. I'll skip to the ship.
Master Slave 07: LOVE MACHINE

At the time of writing, the full remainder of mankind has been infected with the insidious alien Genophage Foxtrot. No cure has been developed as of yet. The med lab estimates that another sixteen years will pass before a breakthrough can be made. Until then, we'll just have to live on.

Almost entirely incapable of reproducing naturally, humanity is now less than five thousand strong, and drifts endlessly through the stars on the nomadic starship Anatolia. Neither a conventional military nor workforce is viable with our numbers dwindling as they are. Nowadays, automation is the norm for performing hazardous tasks onboard the ship.

I manage the venerable Master Slave project, dedicated to developing new solutions for defending the Anatolia from the alien onslaught. Our onboard fabrication bays allow us to put nearly anything on the field of combat, but our time is extremely limited. Our collective deaths could be fated for tomorrow, or the aliens could run us into the ground next month. We're shooting in the dark. The fate of humanity rides on our efforts.

Anatolia's new automated defense force is based around large factory vessels known as Master Slaves, each controlled by a single pilot who must first be screened for cybernetic compatibility. As the situation is dire, the scarce newborns of Anatolia are required by law to be screened at birth. All suitable individuals are drafted into the program, regardless of age or gender.

The pilot's Master Slave is designed, tested and built entirely to his or her specifications, using a sophisticated simulator interface known as BSF-1299. It often takes several months before a Master Slave and its pilot become battle ready, but Anatolia has produced twenty-seven units already, twenty-three of which now roam the star systems surrounding our temporary base. Three units are currently undergoing final combat trials with the Anatolia:
No 7: Gunnlaug Sigursdóttir (12) - Love Machine
No 10: Emilia Bishop (28) - Cardinal Virtue
No 11: Ragnar Amundssen (15) - Hresvelgr

Gunnlaug's Master Slave is again pictured below:

It's an unusual design, but it's the one closest to completion in my books. It carries considerable firepower in all directions, armed with pulse beamers and a set of tachyon battle cannons that are definitely worth looking at. The tail is a frivolous addition in my opinion, but it is Gunnlaug's design, and I have no right to complain if it doesn't impair her combat performance. The numerous armlets of No 23: Reanimator come to mind.

The other two Master Slaves should be coming along nicely now. Ragnar in particular displays an above-average beta wave synchronization rate. Definitely worth a glance. I'll keep you posted.

Dr. Mellow Patrici
Head Researcher
Last edited by STARSTRUCK on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Re: Master Slave Project

Post by 25000st »

Wtf win. Amazing details and glows and doodads. The ship kinda looks backwards in some respects but it is one of the best ships I've seen IMHO.

DOWNLOAD WANTED.
Really, I think you're the best ship-builder we've had around.

ED: How does the ship look without the blue glows (and sections underneath them) on the sides?
Last edited by 25000st on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veronw
Commander
Commander

Post by Veronw »

it looks absolutely amazing, the attention to detail and the construction techniques you have used seem flawless from what i can see, wish i could give you a better critique, but its damned near perfect :D
Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

You've done it again, even though your previous ships were superb and on par with everything in the holy ship topic(No I won't start it again.)
This one really just made it, I think my heart skipped a beat when I saw it, I was in awe of it's beauty.
Enjoyable backstory by the way.

But may I ask what is supposed to come out of those hangar like things on the sides, since the ship has but one crewman/woman?
25000st wrote:ED: How does the ship look without the blue glows (and sections underneath them) on the sides?
No longer like the most epic mechanical sort of fish ever?

EDIT: did some photoshopping, personally don't like it this way.
Will take it down if you find this innapproriate
Will take it down if you find this innapproriate
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

awesome just awesome can't wait to see the other master slaves, how do you do the tail? and does it move when the ship moves or all the time?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Maart3n wrote:Will take it down if you find this innapproriate
HEY MAART3N, THAT'S NOT ALLOWED, I SUE YOU WITH THE FORCE OF A MILLION BILLION SUNS

...Just kidding. But it does look pretty fucking ugly.

The hangars are supposed to be construction bays for smaller, slower automated ships that serve no real purpose but to make the "heroes" look good. I believe a concept like that has been done before on these forums, so I don't claim originality.
Preacher wrote:how do you do the tail? and does it move when the ship moves or all the time?
Hook up a turret driver with a slower turn rate than the ship itself. Et voila. It's a tail. Or a TVC nozzle. It's your call. It moves when the ship turns. Really useful.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

It appears taking the hangars down kills the flow so you'd have to remove the front and that's just not cool.

Ignore what I said and please carry on with making epic ships! :D
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

wow, i love it. the detailing is perfect due to the fact that even though there is lots it all appears necessary. i especially like the "caution" signs

something i've been wondering, how do you get the "tail" sections of your ships to move like they do?
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

STARSTRUCK wrote:
Preacher wrote:how do you do the tail? and does it move when the ship moves or all the time?
Hook up a turret driver with a slower turn rate than the ship itself. Et voila. It's a tail. Or a TVC nozzle. It's your call. It moves when the ship turns. Really useful.
does that answer your question?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

sorry my mistake, i skim read the posts and must have missed that.

the only thing i can see that detracts from the awesomeness of this ship is that the light grey sections between the front two turrets - due to their light colour - have a very hard edge that breaks up the flow in contrast with the other sections and also the colour looks wrong for the depthing. in my opinion it would look better as a darker shade
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Didn't do so well on this one. Action shots? Fuck that noise, I need to go to bed.
Master Slave 23: REANIMATOR
Unassumingly plated in white, the Reanimator of Herbert North (41) is unique in more ways than one. At a glance, its design seems impractical and insufficient, with only four drone construction bays positioned at its rear. However, the four arms mounted in the ship's forward quartile are a veritable tool kit for rewiring and resurrecting the dead husks of enemy and allied ships. Thusly, the Reanimator can often be seen ensconced amidst a swarm of zombie spaceships.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

i like it, the shape has a definate functional appeal to it. my main dislike (and it's minor at that) is the orange colouring. perhaps a red like that of the details would look better
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

vidboi wrote:perhaps a red like that of the details would look better

Well, this doesn't look so bad. Do you like it better?
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

The red feels a bit glaring to me in places (but looks better then the orange), mostly the larger red sections in the main body, and the back looks a bit plain compared to the rest of it (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), partly cause it's darker.
But hey, who am I to complain? Wonderful Talhydras style you've got going there, loads of glowy bits and blinking lights with nice section usage and internal shapes. Aside from that, the theme of this set is pretty cool, as are the themes shared by the ships (lots of little runways, and doodads and shit). And oh yes, can't forget the word everyone's bandying around these days (am I the only one irritated by it?), great flow.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

i know what you mean about the red being quite glaring, but i actually quite like it as it suits this ships mainly non-combatal role - the red and white are medic colours, and this ship is meant for repairing others. the only problem now with the colouring is that it has no contrast with the markings which are otherwise very effective, hmmm...