XS fleet, fleet of ever morphing ships.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

AssassinVrxz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by AssassinVrxz »

Arcalane wrote:
AssassinVrxz wrote:
Arcalane wrote:There is no such thing as "good-looking clutter". :|
like i said, its difficult.
No, "good-looking clutter" does not exist. Period. Don't delude yourself. :|
ah, but you don't see what i see do you. color seer XD.

ever seen a mone` (no idea how to spell...) painting. it looks like shit up close but when you step back and think on it, its beautifull scenery.
i am trying to do the same, with sprites, my own style, unique, odd, and peculiar. i don't want it to be pretty, i want it to be meaty, intimidating, and unusual. my ships aren't works of art, there just fucking scary. thats how i am and how my life is, i believe beauty is a figment of ones imagination, only deluded by the senses, i have an odd life. so my ships reflect that. as does my music. but music is for another time. a theme for my ships.
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

AssassinVrxz wrote:
Arcalane wrote:
AssassinVrxz wrote: like i said, its difficult.
No, "good-looking clutter" does not exist. Period. Don't delude yourself. :|
ah, but you don't see what i see do you. color seer XD.

ever seen a mone` (no idea how to spell...) painting. it looks like shit up close but when you step back and think on it, its beautifull scenery.
i am trying to do the same, with sprites, my own style, unique, odd, and peculiar. i don't want it to be pretty, i want it to be meaty, intimidating, and unusual. my ships aren't works of art, there just fucking scary. thats how i am and how my life is, i believe beauty is a figment of ones imagination, only deluded by the senses, i have an odd life. so my ships reflect that. as does my music. but music is for another time. a theme for my ships.
There is, however, such a thing as good-looking quote pyramids.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Quote pyramid spam is annoying.

There is good looking clutter. Some may call it detail.
Anyway, your clutter tends to look unattractive because it has no flow. Try choosing just one direction of flow.
AssassinVrxz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by AssassinVrxz »

25000st wrote:Quote pyramid spam is annoying.

There is good looking clutter. Some may call it detail.
Anyway, your clutter tends to look unattractive because it has no flow. Try choosing just one direction of flow.
yeah im workign on it. practice makes perfect of course. and obviously color adds to flow. im bad with color... sucks...

im drawing on pencel what my concepts for my next ships are. so im really taking some thought into the layout and shit. i really really am trying to get this down. this is kindof like a mini hobby now.
AssassinVrxz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: XS fleet, fleet of ever morphing ships.

Post by AssassinVrxz »

XS-2 Undermicht

i thought i would add in a little ship for once. i used the same style of making sprite layers so that the ship has makeshift armor, and gives it more detail. im going to post a view of it in action, or else the back looks very strange...

here it is, should have made the sidebar thing vanish, screw you hindsight.
and yes, i havn't changed any values on any of these recent ships. there all default values, so ill do it later.

the goal with the back is.i make the exhaust look a bit different. i think it looks good as i did it, but whatever. critics away, and ill hide in the corner
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

You probaly can't see it, but at the moment the ship in the screen shot is lit up like a christmas tree. You need to go to the options menu in the game and turn the "glows" off, so that there isn't any of that blurry stuff around your ship
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
AssassinVrxz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by AssassinVrxz »

Imaillusion wrote:You probaly can't see it, but at the moment the ship in the screen shot is lit up like a christmas tree. You need to go to the options menu in the game and turn the "glows" off, so that there isn't any of that blurry stuff around your ship
oh haha. ok. i can do that. but how does it look?
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Looks good. That exhaust is rather large though. Almost larger than the actual ship. lol
AssassinVrxz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by AssassinVrxz »

25000st wrote:Looks good. That exhaust is rather large though. Almost larger than the actual ship. lol
haha ill fix that later, it looks hilarious tho. so do you all think i should stick to the l'il ships like this? cause they seem to work better for me haha.
Siber
Captain
Captain

Post by Siber »

Assassin: Though my peers may disagree with me, I think your large ships show some interesting elements that could be expanded on to make some really good things. But if I may pry a moment, I'm curious about something. You seem to be saying that your color-blindness makes shading pointless, but that doesn't make sense to me. If any thing, being able to only see gray should make you more sensitive to shading, not less, as it'd be the only way to distinguish anything. If you can't see shades of gray, how do you distinguish between a section and empty space? The principle of perspective through diminishing contrast has nothing to do with color. Am I missing something here?
seriously Anna. seriously oh my gawd seriously.

Author of DAF and Sillyness
Co-founder Homeworld:@
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

I don't really like this ships very much... and Siber poses an interesting question.

Also, the XS-2 Undermicht isn't too bad. Definitely better than your larger ships, in my opinion.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

Also: Colour blindness doesn't mean you see grey, it means you can't differentiate certain colours. Well mostly, anyway. Monochromacy is an extremely rare condition.
In most cases, they can't tell the difference between red and green or blue and yellow.
I know one with the former.

Anyway, the XS-2 is at least interesting.
Don't you have stuff to do?
Ya know. The important things.