Col.Jason's 1st proper ship

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

col.jason
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Col.Jason's 1st proper ship

Post by col.jason »

Hi, i am jason, i am new here, and this is my first proper attempt at making a ship :)

feel free to suggest improvements or criticism as it will help me improve ships in the future, just remember tho, this is my first proper attempt at making a ship, meaning depth, colours, drivers, custom hp, damage, and ranges...

EDIT: also, guys what image host do you use, imagevenue isn't the best...
Last edited by col.jason on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gkug
Commander
Commander

Post by Gkug »

Number of weapons needs to be reduced, and colour scheme needs work, also i suggest using photobucket to upload images.
You are no God to me
You are nothing to me
This is a reckoning
Enjoy this while it lasts
It won't be long before it dies.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Ok. The ship at the stage it's at right now is bad but you can make it better. The ship might be slightly too skinny but that's not the main problem.

The colors are plainly terrible. Try not to use more than three colors. Also don't put bright colored sections right next to dark sections. This causes something called "eyeburn".

I think you have too many weapons. I would advise removing some flak guns. Your auto-cannons on the other hand have been wisely placed.
col.jason
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by col.jason »

i was thinking about removing the green, i'll do that now...
col.jason
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by col.jason »

I removed the green, and half the flaks...

i'm not sure what color to replace the yellow part of my turrets, or are they ok?
col.jason
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by col.jason »

thought i'd say a bit about the design...

the built up area at the back is supposed to be the command centre, with the core jutting out the back slightly, you can hit it from the rear, but there are flaks to protect it, also this ship is supposed to be used in a broadside...

the chunky front is supposed to be like a weapons platform, 2 emmissiles and 2 torpedoes poke out the front, for when you are heading towards the enemy, hence the forward facing auto-cannons.

the thin middle is supposed to be a weak point, i wanted to balance it out by making it a main target, obviously when destroyed, the weapons platform part goes with it, thus makeing the ship severly weaker, but it has flak and twin auto cannons there to protect it.
dyoano
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by dyoano »

you should remove even more flak cannons. the amount you have right now is enough to effectively completely neutralize incoming fire from an enemy ship of the same class, as well as most other balanced ships (and definitely all the stock ones). usually, 6 cleverly placed flak turrets on a ship your size is more than enough - any more, and it'll usually be totally unscathed in battle :[
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Your blue is still too dark but less flaks have made it better. After the blue is fixed you can move on to the next step. Clean up your section usage. Look at new section usage guide. http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4222

Keep up the good work!
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

Ok, well first thing first; Welcome to the Forums :D .

Now about the ship you don't need a billion flak and autocannons everywhere :x . And you seriously need to work on color use like grey and som random color that complements it.
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

dyoano wrote:you should remove even more flak cannons. the amount you have right now is enough to effectively completely neutralize incoming fire from an enemy ship of the same class, as well as most other balanced ships (and definitely all the stock ones). usually, 6 cleverly placed flak turrets on a ship your size is more than enough - any more, and it'll usually be totally unscathed in battle :[
You, sir, are an idiot. Ever since the advent of customizable weapons, statements like this are completely ungrounded, unless the stats of every weapon are posted. How do you know the autocannons don't have a lower interceptibility, a higher rate of fire, faster bullets. The flak cannons could have low accuracy, they could be fixed emplacements, their range can be small enough to barely reach the edge of the ship, et cetera. In short, you have no knowledge to base your statement on. Besides, since "balance" is such an arbitrary term, it's pointless trying to argue for it unless it's been defined for the occasion. I will agree that there are too many flaks, but only from an aesthetic viewpoint, since there is not nearly enough information to effectively assume any other.

As for the ship itself, I don't really have much positive to say. It's hull consist mostly of a few sections tiled over and over. The colors are neither coherent nor well-matched, and there are so many weapons that it looks spammed. There are also unexplained holes about a third of the way up from the back that don't appear to serve any purpose and make that portion of the ship look very flimsy.
With a proper color scheme and better section usage this could be interesting, but as it is it needs improvement.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
col.jason
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by col.jason »

I changed the shade of blue, changed the random hole area, seems i accidentally made that part transparent :(

you want stats
18xflak:
deviation=50 normal is 20
damage=1.50 same as normal
range=100 normal is 250

2xempmissile:
Deviation is same as normal
range is same as normal
damage has been increased to 300 from 100

2xTorpedoes:
deviation is same
range is same
damage is 500 from 100

4x forward facing auto cannons:
range 1000 from 700
damage 200 from 20
deviation is same

10x broadside auto cannons:
range is same
deviation is same
damage is 50 from 20

8x broadside twin auto cannons:
range is same
deviation is same
damage is 100 from 20 (since it is twin of the single ones)

5x turret twin auto cannons:
range is same
deviation is same
damage is 150 from 20 due to these being the 'HEAVY' guns...

8x machine guns:
all stats the same

there are a lot of flak at the back because the core is exposed at the back of the ship, it has 5000hp so it is fairly weak compared to other player's ships....
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

The EMP Torpedo's damage field doesn't actually do anything, and it was never supposed to. I should tweak it so that the field doesn't appear for it.
SF wrote:some shit about modding weapons
No, you, sir, are the idiot. AC interceptability cannot be modded and flak cannons cannot be 'fixed'
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
col.jason
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by col.jason »

Arcalane wrote:flak cannons cannot be 'fixed'
such a shame, i tried this many times and wondered why it didn't work :(

the rest of the weapons are fixed tho, except the turrets on top obviously :)

EDIT: smoothed off some edges :)

Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Arcalane wrote:No, you, sir, are the idiot. AC interceptability cannot be modded and flak cannons cannot be 'fixed'
I apologize. I should have thought that through better. I will admit that the examples were non-applicable in this case. In my haste I grabbed them off the top of my head. Regardless of the inaccurate examples, however, the core point of it all still stands, in that balance cannot be discussed without information.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

I'm usually not the one to point out such things,but the latest version is obnoxiously phallic.