Section/Color Usage Guide (for new ship builders)

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

25000st
Captain
Captain

Section/Color Usage Guide (for new ship builders)

Post by 25000st »

Another reminder to new ship builders: Please look at the Holy Ship gallery located in the Custom Ships section.

Now lets get on to color. New ship builders seem to commonly make the mistake of eyeburn coloring. This occurs when bright sections are placed next to dark sections. Try starting with no more than three different colors. I do not mean shades of colors. I also really recommend gray as one of the colors. Remember not to make huge differences in the shades of sections right next to each other.

Section-usage is also frequently messy with new ship builders. Try making smooth, flowing lines with your sections. A 90 degree angle created by two sections doesn't create the effect of a flowing line. If you can, try to make your sections blend in with each other so nothing glaringly stands out. Awkward depthing can cause this problem. Don't use too many detailed sections. This never really looks good. Detailed sections are also very hard to use on the top (with little depth).

I hope this helps and cuts the number eyeburn ships.
col.jason
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by col.jason »

this is very helpful, thank you :)