my first fleet

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

what'dya think?

not too crappy
5%
crappy
35%
I'm not even gonna say what I think of this.
60%

Total votes: 20

pvtdow
Ensign
Ensign

my first fleet

Post by pvtdow »

so yeah, here it is, my first fleet

Corvettes:

The smallest ship in the fleet, the angel is overpowered by almost anything, but in numbers can cause a lot of damage

the other 'small' corvette in the fleet is the Artemis, largely designed as a hit and run support craft, the ship boasts a new warp system which allows it to move accurately from place to place rapidly. a smaller, more faster version was proposed, but the vibrations from the beam made it literally rip itself apart.

Destroyers

Image the Dragon is an extremely heavy destroyer, several captains of such craft often insist on it being re designated as a cruiser. This is an active debate between leaders at the moment. with two heavy beam cannons on either side, it possesses extremely high armor piercing potential. it's only weakness is at the back.

The striker is technically a corvette, due to it's lack of accurate firepower, but it's size classifies it as a destroyer, a decision made after the name, which is why it says corvette in the photo. This craft is one of the only ships that can keep up with, and punish enemy fighters and corvettes.

The aegis is just a run of the mill destroyer with adequate weaponry and no real history surrounding it.

Cruisers

The Revenant Cruiser is mainly a fleet level support craft, with beams capable of cutting a swath through the most powerful armor in a matter of seconds. Also having a vulnerable engine area.

Dreadnoughts

One of the first ships created for this fleet, the 'Dragon II' design was almost scrapped if it hadn't been for 'the incident' that occurred when one of the gravbeams on station omega malfunctioned and allowed one of the frequent meteors showers to fall on a course toward the space station. the only non civilian ship in the was a DragonII and completely blocked the station with it's heavily defended sides until an evacuation could be mounted.

The salvation is relatively small for a dreadnought but it's powerful main battery and heavy frontal armor AND the ability to teleport, make it a ship unlike any other.

Experimentals:

I"ll add these at a later date.

Criticism is welcome!
I'll get it done...

Eventually
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]
pvtdow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pvtdow »

sorry about the gargantuan pics, i'll learn how to resize them later.
I'll get it done...

Eventually
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]
osilus
Captain
Captain

Post by osilus »

They're, to be quite honest, crap. read this http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1244 scrap the ships and try again but better. Also less aegis, and less repetition of pieces.
"It was really great, stealing zombie Jesus's legendary Horse Wiener." - Gamefaqs user

Ow.
I just dropped my keyboard on my head.
Ow. -Anna
pvtdow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pvtdow »

osilus wrote:They're, to be quite honest, crap. read this http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1244 scrap the ships and try again but better. Also less aegis, and less repetition of pieces.
ok thx, i will
unforgivensoul
TEMP-BANNED
Location: moon station, also called collony arch (shhhht! it is a secret!)

Post by unforgivensoul »

this looks like a "first ever created ship", some average ones and all of these mixed up to make a :shock: fleet
the ultimate weapon?
take a kamikaze nuclear truck, put them in a ship, (nuclear kamikaze ship filled with mines); send it in the enemy lines and watch the firework >=p
removed the booooooooom! cuz it was too big
/\/\
pvtdow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pvtdow »

unforgivensoul wrote:this looks like a "first ever created ship", some average ones and all of these mixed up to make a :shock: fleet

yea... it kinda is my firs few ships
pvtdow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pvtdow »

TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO FEELS LIKE YELLING AT ME:

This was something i did when I was bored and keep in mind it took me an hour to make these pieces of junk
I'll get it done...

Eventually
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

You spent a whole hour on these?
Did you not even notice that your Dragon Destroyer has enough deflectors to shield the entire ship minus the ream beam pod?
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

These ships are horrable...
They suffer from numerous problems such as: Too many weapons(weapon spam), section spam, bad use of sections, too many ageis deflectors/deflectors, too many thrusters, too many, repetition, bad layering, bad colouring, and probably anything I missed :/

When I started out, I lingered around the forums for a week or two before I actually posted my first ships. It gave me a general idea of the standards that were required for posting ships in the forum.

So heres my advice, read the many manuals around the forums to get a good idea on how to build decent ships(like the one osilus sudgested). Start off by building smaller ships, then slowly work your way up. When you finaly get something that looks decent, post it, then any little problems it might have, we'll help you fix. Oh and try not to post an entire fleet that was made in an hour or two, building decent ships takes time (expecially the larger ships), so don't rush it!
thacannon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by thacannon »

Well...
I can't tell you anything 'new' (actually, I don't even think I'm qualified to criticize :wink:) since Blackhart named most of the problems.
IMO, I think you should scrap everything but the Revenant Cruiser.
I can't really say I like it, but it's the best in the whole fleet. Just improve on it and you'll have the first good looking ship in your arsenal and use it as a guideline.

You could make the boosters on the Cruiser be a single, ageised section, making it look like an actual booster rather than the module itself.

Use 'M' to mirror ship and Use colors.

I like the stacked section 4's but I say stack only 2-3 stacked 4's make it look...well, overall bulky. Try replacing the third section on the stack with something else which also deletes repetition. Also, add more to the head; it looks...bare and bland in a way when compared to the back.

Side not: we're not yelling at you, it's how we criticize. Just absorb it and improve the ship. Move on. (besides, arguing back isn't going to do any good)

As for the others, just scrap them as I said at the top; the rest are either too holey, weapon spammed, repetitive, lacking, poorly mirrored, or just plain ugly.
D00D!
Commander
Commander

Post by D00D! »

thacannon wrote: Use 'M' to mirror ship and Use colors.
Just be sure to check your ships after mirroring.It often leaves bad layering, bad offsetting on larger, more advance ships. Basically, double check your ships for any weapons that are not in position/facing the wrong way and for sections that have the wrong depth

And the colors? Use a color wheel.

And yes, scrap all your ships and make a new one, you'll be better off if you don't let the ideas of fleets constrain you.
Avatarless and proud of it! And being really crazy and screwing everything conventional!
Currently working on:

The largest transforming mecha EVAR!
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

I think I know how to make 'em look better, though it is by no means my idea to begin with.

Grab a piece of paper, draw some interesting shapes for a ship, then try to work those out with the sections at hand.

Right now, you're using sections too individually. Just try to make it look like a whole, preferably without repetition, and with funky colours.

Just some advice, these don't look too good.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

pvtdow wrote:This was something i did when I was bored and keep in mind it took me an hour to make these pieces of junk
We don't take just one hour to construct masterpieces. We take days. :|
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

how would you know? =P

@pvtdow: What was the point of posting these, if the second people (justifiably) insult the ships, you start saying they were just junky things you threw together in an hour? if that's actually true, than posting them here accomplished nothing besides making you look: 1) like a bad shipbuilder and 2) like, quit frankly, an idiot.
So either don't post your junk ships, or don't whine when people insult them. As doing what you just did wastes everybody's time.
ianfreddie07
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by ianfreddie07 »

If you knew they were pieces of junk (which some of them are, Aegis, Striker and Artemis are the best among these) why would you post them here?