Darkship's assorted stuff (now with a new ship)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Darkship
Captain
Captain

Darkship's assorted stuff (now with a new ship)

Post by Darkship »

Some may remember the previous Defiance thread i put up here
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... t=defiance

However lets forget about that and move on, after looking at the advice given (a while back) i decided to extensively remodel all ships as well as add a new one. While the new ships look like they are now of the same fleet and manufacturer, i still think there are quite a few problems with them. Such as some designs now looking way to similar to one another, although that might just be lack of imagination on my part. in any case i will present the modified ones to you for evaluation.

EDIT: THE LATEST UPDATES

Praetorian, Arjuna, Gandiva, The Variants are here
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... c&start=15

EDIT: more updates
a new ship and a new pack of ships for dl, page 3

Novax
The Novax is the pride of Defiance Industries. Currently the only ship of its kind, it features experimental shielding technologies that render most weapons useless. This and its wide array of weapon systems, including its 'luminous' cannon all combine to make this ship an excellent battleship class.
changes: A myriad of changes involving removing and replacing weapons as well as changing the color of the aegis and tweaking the color scheme.

Legion
The legion is a large carrier class vessel, bristling with drone launchers, it is capable of swarming any ship with these mobile weapons. However its primary role is to strip enemy vessels of weapons and shield generators to allow heavier ships to move in.

Vindicator
The all-rounder manufactured by Defiance Industries, boasting railguns and beam cannons it can hold its own against most enemy ships. Shield give the extra protection that it needs to weather any sort of combat.

Defender
The Defender is a dedicated beam vessel. Mounting a large number of beam cannons, its primary role is to hit an opposing vessel as hard as possible in a single spot before fleeing.
changes: section 26 was shortened to make the profile of the ship slimmer

Interdictor
The role of this ship is to assist larger vessels with its three forward mounted railguns that have been augmented with modules for increased firepower.
changes: section 26 was shortened to make the profile of the ship slimmer

I have many other ships to show but that will be for later, who is the 'enemy' you might wonder, perhaps next time.

in any case, please comment on these ships.

edit: the pictures now up on the first post are the latest incarnations of all ships, with changes mentioned. old pictures of ships are available if people want to look at them.
Last edited by Darkship on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Weapon placement could use some work, but I love the first three.
Ai_512
Commander
Commander

Post by Ai_512 »

The first looks inexplicably like a mega Athena to me. :P

Pretty good, though they look like they would be better as broadsiders.

First two are my favorites, they all need better weapons placement though.
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/NerdofChaos/Ai541.png[/img]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61047#61047]Ai's Ships 'n Fleets[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2664]My New Fleet[/url]
Neroman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Neroman »

They look pretty sweet. The Last two look to wide for their length though. Maybe slim down the section 26s.
[img]http://i19.tinypic.com/6ugnpjm.jpg[/img]
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

The first 3 look good, but the last 2 look a little weird. I blame the section 26's, they look too big for the ship. Also, you should probably change the aegis colour and the booster colour.

On another note, I really like the yellow highlights (particularly on the legion), I think you use more of them (i.e. a couple more on the Novax, and some on the Vindicator).
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

ok see the primary criticism regarding the ships is primarily the placement of weapons. I can see the Novax being a good candidate for a more broadside oriented ship but how bout the legion and the vindicator? i find that the forward facing guns work in their design.

As for the other two, yes those section 26s do seem a bit big for the ship's size so some resizing is in order.

thanks for your comments!

edit:

Heres the revised version of the Novax

(see below for the latest revision)

i added a number of parts just to add to the overall design and placed more weapons on the broadside of the ship just to give it more firepower. the guns cannot rotate forward for that reason. Plus on minor change to the colors. other revisions soon to follow.
Last edited by Darkship on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

The weapon placement leaves a lot to be desired. The hulls are not bad though, reminds me of a ship series I did some time back and never released.
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

hmm i hear a lot about the placement of weapons, however because of my relative inexperience with ship building i do not quite understand. When placing the weapons, do you mean that it should 'fit' with the sections they are placed in, falling along the contours/ lines of each section? i looked at other ships and that seems to be the case.
As with angles, does angling a weapon give it a better look in terms of its placement.

I apologize for my splurge of questions.

i have added another picture to show my attempt with improving the weapons placement on the novax, i will only revise this ship as i want to get it right before making widespread change.

(again see below)

so comments?
Last edited by Darkship on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Everything but the lasers. They still don't look right.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

maybe move the railguns on the "wings" a bit more up so that they line up with the bottom of the overhanging pieces? (if that makes any sense) no idea what to do with the side railguns.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Perhaps move some or all of the beamers to the section 13 behind the core, or move the center one to the section 13, and move the other two outwards (or get rid of them entirely).
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Nice hull shapes, like predatory fish.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

ok i have adjusted the placement of the beamers, opting to put them further away, i also removed one of them

heres the change.

haha and yes indeed, in hindsight my ships so look like fish.

Hope its alright now, its open to comments.
BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF
Commander
Commander

Post by BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF »

Darkship wrote:ok i have adjusted the placement of the beamers, opting to put them further away, i also removed one of them

heres the change.

haha and yes indeed, in hindsight my ships so look like fish.

Hope its alright now, its open to comments.
I like it, but I dislike pure white aegis. It always looks so out of place on any color.
Improving quality of life since 1955.
HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HalfThere »

It looks pretty good, but the winglets on the sides look a little strange to me.
[url]http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2546[url]
The Dual Duel tournament!