FreeSpace 2 Ships - Destroyers (GTD Orion WIP)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Should I continue to use demeters as fighters?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:20 am

Yes
30%
No
30%
I have no preference
40%

Total votes: 10

Slominator
Commander
Commander

FreeSpace 2 Ships - Destroyers (GTD Orion WIP)

Post by Slominator »

FreeSpace 2 destroyers are on the way! I'll try to keep these as accurate to the originals as I can. These are the biggest ships that I have ever made in BSF so this is going to be a learning process for me. These will obviously take me much longer to do than the other FS2 ships so please be patient.

The thread for the corvettes and cruisers can be found here and here. The cruisers were updated recently incase anyone missed it.

GTD Orion

Full Description:
For over 30 years, the GTD Orion class was the largest ship in the Terran-Vasudan armada. Over two kilometers in length, bristling with dozens of death-dealing turrets, the Orion is as awesome in repose as it is in battle. All GTVA Orions have been retrofitted with the latest anti-warship beam weapons, as well as flak and AAA turrets for dealing with fighters and bombers. The Orion's cavernous hanger bays easily accommodate more than two dozen fighter or bomber wings.

More information on this ship can be found here.

Reference Pic.

The hull isn't completely done yet, but I need to know how I'm doing so far. I'm not really liking the piece mashing but there's not much I can do about it unless I make it more repetitious. The coloring is temporary. It should look better once I color it correctly and add doodads.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

That's a whole lot or repetition there. Then again, the Orion is a giant flying brick of doom.

A lot more detailed than the other GTD Orion though, so I guess its excusable. :)

Nice antennae :D
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

It seems to be lacking some colouring in areas, but well done. The piece layering looks kind of ugly, but what can you do? As Droid said, nice Antennae. :D
Slominator
Commander
Commander

Post by Slominator »

Droid wrote:That's a whole lot or repetition there.
I was following the pattern on the textures. Repetition can sometimes be a good thing. It all depends upon why it is repetitious and how it looks once it's done.
Bad Boy wrote:It seems to be lacking some colouring in areas, but well done. The piece layering looks kind of ugly, but what can you do?
As I stated above, the coloring is very temporary. I'm using it mainly to differentiate between different parts of the ship. There isn't too much I can do about the piece layering unless I use more section22s, but I was trying to avoid using too many.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2470]FreeSpace 2 Ships[/url]
[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll224/Slominator/fs2sig24.jpg[/img]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Actually, the orions hull plates look pretty mish mash up close too. It does leave room for other section usage though since it has alot of angles along its surface. I suppose only good way to break it up is to add detail like generators and bridge and turrets, even if those aren't on the picture much.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

You seem to be using colors to represent levels of the ship. Bad idea, along with the repetition.
admiral_tee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by admiral_tee »

I don't understand why you're creating the ships from its side pov when BSF is top down..?
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

admiral_tee wrote:I don't understand why you're creating the ships from its side pov when BSF is top down..?
He's not making a side view. That is a top-down perspective of that ship, which is fairly clear if you look at the official pictures he posted..
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
admiral_tee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by admiral_tee »

Thanks.
Eaglehaslanded
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Eaglehaslanded »

This is going to be AWESOME!
[img]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk289/Eaglehaslanded11/miserybanner2output.png[/img]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

It's going to be big and chunky. But then again, that reference ship isn't exactly a work of art either. What I would like to see is the Shivan Sathanas Juggernaught.
Eaglehaslanded
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Eaglehaslanded »

The Orion is meant to be an old and, to an extent, badly designed ship. The Sathanas could bring up problems as to build it on the same scale as the corvettes it would have to be really huge. But it certainly would be cool to see it.

The Hatshepsut would look very nice in BSF I imagine. The Hecate's fins might look a bit wierd from the top down though.
[img]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk289/Eaglehaslanded11/miserybanner2output.png[/img]
Slominator
Commander
Commander

Post by Slominator »

I'm not even going to bother with the Sathanas or the Colossus until th15 fixes the performance issues with BSF. As it is the Orion will have about 400 pieces by the time I'm done. The Sathanas on the other hand will probably have more than 2000 pieces. I'll have to build it in chunks with the ship maker and even then there might not be enough room to do it to scale.

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2470]FreeSpace 2 Ships[/url]
[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll224/Slominator/fs2sig24.jpg[/img]
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

BSF can handle ships with 2000 pieces. It just takes forever to load, and runs at 2-3 SPF (Seconds per Frame).
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

I had a ship that had about 2400 peices and 500 weapons. it sucked, but it was huge and took about 10 mins to load.