Claw Fleet - new additions 9/9

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Claw Fleet - new additions 9/9

Post by Wicky_42 »

OK, so I lied about getting on with the TKT Fleet. I just messed around a bit, had an idea and... well, have a look at it for your self.

I call it 'the Claw Ship'. My, my imagination is awesome today...

Go go colour invert!

Working on armament atm. It has a central beam+tach and about 30 micro missile launchers on the rear. The beam is pretty much subject to change if I can get a better idea...

Colours aren't fixed, either :S oh well - at least it's smaller than the Hiigaran Battlecruiser... I plan on making the outer wing bits darker than the central, just for lols.

Planning also perhaps to make some smaller ships as a little fleet based around it, and even try n tie it in with the TKT story line.

Download will be up at some point, probably once i've fixed the colours and weapons (unless people desperately want to see it floating around...) Stay tuned, folks!
Last edited by Wicky_42 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]
See317
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by See317 »

Probably a stupid question on my part...
Is the pointy end the front, or the round end?

I think it would look better with the round end in front, all glowy like a planet killing super laser should be, but I'm curious...
Spoot Knight
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: In the Vega star system, monitoring UCM defense movement.

Post by Spoot Knight »

The front is where the spikes protrude, and micro-missiles ftw!
Facing the other way, with maybe two less spikes would be a good design for a "superweapon" sentry gun.
The United Commonwealth Military and Spootech Industries joint fleet.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/SpootKnight/Spootech/av-1.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1854]Spootech Industries - The Third Revision, upgrading to the Fourth Revision.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2273]How Spootech Industries came to be as it is now; the history of Spootech Industries ship making.[/url]
Chuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Chuck »

Nice design, good colouring. How do u make it invert colours?
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

I honestly think that it'd look better backwards.
That's just me though...
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Droid wrote:I honestly think that it'd look better backwards.
That's just me though...
I agree, but I think that it would have to be either a little thinner, or a little longer if it was backwards.
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

It will look bad ass what ever way the front is.

I must say it looks very well built, nice job!
I also must say it kind of reminds me of the replicator ship from stargate :)
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I always wanted to do something like that in emulation of Andromeda, but could never get it to look right. i like the joints in the claws though.
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

@Chuck, you get GIMP, then you press invert.
And nice ship Wicky! It looks like a Bentusi Trader Warship.
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

bien4500 wrote:@Chuck, you get GIMP, then you press invert.
Or you could use MSPaint, and press ctrl-i.

Why is it that screens of BSF in inverted colours look so... awesome?
Anty
Commander
Commander

Post by Anty »

M123 wrote:
bien4500 wrote:@Chuck, you get GIMP, then you press invert.
Or you could use MSPaint, and press ctrl-i.

Why is it that screens of BSF in inverted colours look so... awesome?
because highlights darker then the base colour look way better then lighter ones (the standard)
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

...but of course dark external highlighting doesn't show up in space n looks sucky, lol. One of the aspects of highlighting is contrasting your ship with the background, hence light highlighting.

As to people wanting one facing the other way, I'm making an alt version now, some, you know, generic planet buster thingy. Might upgrade it to a star buster, just cos stars are bigger... though then again, this ship's not that big.

The joints are my favourite bit, jwa - just did one when I was starting and loved it, heh.

Not seen the Bentusi warship, but inspiration was drawn from the planet killer missile launchers in HW2 and a blurry pic of the Replicator ship I half remembered that someone posted somewhere (cookie to Blackhart ;) )

Update:
Colours retouched and made custom, bar some team colour trimmings, seen in blue.

And introducing a backwards, capital killer variant that I'm dubbing the Kraken (sure that I've heard of that name somewhere before, but I'm sure no-one can remember that far back... ;) ). Listening to the people (for once) I stripped out a pair of spikes, angled the outer spikes in a little, re-did the curve joining the spikes and slightly restructured the bow. Oh, and flipped it around. But that much should be obvious.
Each of the 16 segments of the glowy beam cannon port mounts a mega beam dealing 25 dmg/frame for 300 frames (just because I'm a nice guy and 150 dmg to each beamer was a little excessive once I'd copied it from the Claw Ship...) - oh and it's backed by a five shot, high damage tach for the whole pulsy - beam thing. And it has 46 micro missiles down various spikes. So far...

Yeah, the Kraken looks pretty cool... though it looks just as cool the other way around, lol... I don't KNOW WHICH WAY I PREFER grrr... Looking at how much narrowing the ship improved it, I plan on extending the centre spike of the Claw ship and moving the outer claws forwards, elongating it enough to have a similar effect to narrowing it whilst making a bigger ship :D.

In my mind's eye I see an asteroid factory with these spiky ships 'growing' out of the crust like crystal growths, clawing their way to freedom...

bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

It was my mind being unclear, I was meaning that it looks like a warship that the Bentusi would build.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

It's "Kraken". Hold the "c". <_<
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

Ok, yeah - the title was the only place I put a c in Kraken, lol. But that matters not now for what was just a single ship is now on its way to becoming a small fleet... kinda...

Presenting a modified Claw Ship, the Claw Dreadnought:

Equipped with batteries of devastating weaponry and comprehensive point defence, the Dreadnought is a nice piece of military hardware. Unless you happen to run into it.

Since there was too little difference between the original claw ship and the Kraken, I modified the initial design, moving the outer claws forward, modifying the curve connecting the claws, and extending the central spike. The extension is kinda... clumsy, and could do with a heavy overhaul, but at the moment you can get a feel. Any suggestions for what to do with it would be nice.

And the latest fleet addition, the Claw Light Battleship:

Whereas the Kraken splits capital ships in half, the Light Battleship smashes them into submission. Equipped with a large bank of micro-AM missiles for its size it is able to engage a variety of targets with some success, but its main cannon, the Plasma Accelerator, performs best against large targets unable to avoid its slow-charging attack. Formidable forward point defences and heavy frontal armour, this ship is designed to meet the enemy head on, and make them bleed.

Just over half the length of the Dreadnought, and initially classed as a heavy destroyer for an anti-capital ship role, the Light Battleship's displacement allowed a significant upgrading of armour and weapons systems. Whilst vastly more costly to produce with the upgrades, its usefulness in combat is increased exponentially, making it a highly efficient ship to produce.