learning the ropes, my first ship

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

styrofoambullet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

learning the ropes, my first ship

Post by styrofoambullet »

well i am still learning the ropes with the ship creation. so i wanted to make an ion cannon frigate. so heres my attempt.

By Styrofoambullet

updated version.
oh and for the beam(i know its parented to the lower part) its just does 6 dmg. everything else is default.

i would like pointers and tips on both weapon placement and looks.
Last edited by styrofoambullet on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reven1231
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by reven1231 »

Welcome then,

as for your...ship it looks to me that its stapled together without any curves, angles, or a style.
The side fins are cool but try not to just repeat any thing very much,or stretch them so they are show out from the rest of the ship.

But hey, what do I know? i'ma nubz :shock:

oh yea read this
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1244
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it"
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

in terms of looks try not to use the same piece too many times on the same ship, it tends to make the ship ugly and generally repetitive. i suggest adding some variety and definitely use all the different pieces, it makes for a more interesting design.

just some thoughts.
natan_j
Commander
Commander

Post by natan_j »

Right now your ship looks...unfinished. Try adding wings, a larger body, etc., to make it bigger. I'd go for about 3-5 times its current size. The fins on the front I think are kinda cool in that they're also the teeth of the beam hole, but the leftmost one is a bit off vertically. If you keep working on this, it could end up looking pretty sweet.
And for a ship with this few pieces, I'd say you're nowhere near repetitive. Yet. Just be warned, that if you use a lot of the same piece in the same area more than a certain amount, it looks bad.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2267]Ships of the Imperial Tul'tharian Navy.[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2878]Minifleet Project.[/url]
styrofoambullet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

well i took your advice and added wings... and i kinda redid the whole thing. yea it does look better.

im also trying to figure out whats the best weapon that could be modded to be similar to an ion cannon.
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

that looks much better! as for the ion cannon, i think a modded mega beam or beamer would do nicely.
styrofoambullet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

it their anyway to change the beam color cause i think it would be WAY cooler if it was purple.
natan_j
Commander
Commander

Post by natan_j »

Alright! It looks a lot better now. The color scheme's decent at the least, though in my opinion the core should be covered up (perhaps with a section 17), and then maybe parent the 13's to it to make it a bit tougher to kill. If you want to make the beam purple, just set that in the weapon stats, just click the "Edit" button to the left to switch to the stats list. Also, I'm thinking some aegis'd engines would look sweet attached to the section 11 at the back.
Keep it up! :)

EDIT: Jusy FYI, flak cannons are not offensive weapons, they're Point Defense, so they shoot incoming projectiles for defense. Maybe move them out onto the wings or nose, and replace them with other weapons (pulse, repeaters, or railguns would probably look good.)
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2267]Ships of the Imperial Tul'tharian Navy.[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2878]Minifleet Project.[/url]
styrofoambullet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

wait how do you change the color.
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

the edit button when selecting the weapon you want to edit.
styrofoambullet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

when i mean beam color i mean the actually lazer beam... ive seen screenshots of lazers and other projectiles of different colors besides the default.

and if there is an option to change the color of the lazer beam i don't see it.
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

after you have selected the weapon which you want to edit, click the edit button which is next to the parts selection area. With that it brings up a menu with various things that can be edited. Look for bullet color and that will allow you to change the color of the beam.
styrofoambullet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

i redid the colors.

as for the engines thing... i really couldnt make it look cool.

By Styrofoambullet
BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF
Commander
Commander

Post by BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF »

It could use with a lot less stretching.
Improving quality of life since 1955.