Any winners here? Different ship types and themes? **edit**

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

admiral_tee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Any winners here? Different ship types and themes? **edit**

Post by admiral_tee »

Hi,
As much as I love this game, especially downloading others peoples ship and entering 'sandbox' mode.
I have created many ship, in the (so far) vain attempt to create a single theme/style that i like.
So here are the bastard love children of: free time; spare time; crazy ideas and some slight plagiarism.

And some notes about them.
Pilum IX - literally the 9th change i've made to this ship. 450HP. I wanted to design a ship that had lots of 'structural girders' beneath the visible sections - to make her quite tough.
Also tried to keep a 'kinetic' feel with the weaponry, hence the small, fast firing, rapid turning, less damage rail guns.
The 2 on the 'wings' are upsized, longer range, rapid firing small clip, long reload.
The centre rail gun is a shorter ranged brute with 2x damage, 4 burst, loong reload shotgun feel.
The lancets are great at picking off larger ships - they have 1200 range and get in first before the AI arms the deflectors.

Lancer - Umm, wanted to try and mix some of the curved sections with the straight ones... And energy weapons too...

Unforgiven - tried to have a asymmetrical ship that used the broadside feature to full effect. Unfortunately the AI has a habit of going broadside on the OTHER side.... Sigh - i liked this design too...

Gamma Zulu - Inspired by another BSF fan who showed some Super Ninja Star craft - well this one isn't as good....

Dervish - I am a fan of this one. I wanted to use the rotating Blasters - and couldnt think of a way to add them to a ship without looking out of place - hence this design.

Bulldog - A small corvette design. This one and Harrier are great battles.

Harrier - the perennial opponent of the Bulldog. Great little ships.

Dradeshi - wanted to create a 'twin boom' style ship. I tried to limit her vulnerable cross bars by partially obstructing them. To me its a interesing design, but i have 'over gunned' her methinks...

Flame, criticize and/or admire please![/u]
Last edited by admiral_tee on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Pilum and Dervish are very good for a first try. The other ones seem to much an amalgam of parts, they need work.

Welcome to the community. :)
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
admiral_tee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by admiral_tee »

Thanks Arcanedude.
If anyone wants a play, here it is:

Pilum IX:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... lum_IX.shp

Dervish:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... h_MK_I.shp

I hope thats the right ship file.

Is the Pilum over gunned? Against stock yes, against the hordes of wank ships.. maybe not me thinks.

The Dervish isn't meant to be a game winner, just an experiment - i wonder if it'd be possible to create a line of ships with that design theme..?

*goes away to tinker*
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

admiral_tee wrote:Is the Pilum over gunned?
Lose two of the Lancets, a few railguns and a couple of flaks (~4) and I think you'll be on to something
RavingManiac
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Any winners here? Different ship types and themes?

Post by RavingManiac »

admiral_tee wrote:Hi,
Unforgiven - tried to have a asymmetrical ship that used the broadside feature to full effect. Unfortunately the AI has a habit of going broadside on the OTHER side.... Sigh - i liked this design too...
I think the AI selects which side to face the enemy by how many weapons are on each side of the ship, I suggest placing the weapons on the left side instead of the right,
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

My favourite is the Pilum. After that, the Unforgiven and the Dradeshi. I don't really like the Dervish, it's simply not my style.
If what RavingManiac said is true, then all you have to do is put four invisible weapons that have 0 range and 0 damage on the left side. This way, you can keep he style of the ship (which is very good) and have it turn the right way.
admiral_tee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by admiral_tee »

How can you make invisible weapons..?

By shrinking them to almost nothing..?
Freak
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Freak »

admiral_tee wrote:How can you make invisible weapons..?

By shrinking them to almost nothing..?
Yes but you have to be careful because it shrinks the projectile too.

As for your ships the lancer needs to be lengthened, it looks to squat as it is.
I’m not weird, I’m psychotic.
admiral_tee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by admiral_tee »

Here's another ship - wanted to make a larger Dervish style warship - the Raider.

Also tried to redesign the Unforgiven, created 5x almost invisible particle guns on the Aegis shielded sections.

The Broadside AI works when a player controls it, however for some reason when the AI controls it acts as a Flanking AI, ie always faces towards the enemy ships - wtf?

Late edit:
Fixed the Pilum, to make her more balanced... Well, at least 'reasonable' for her size.

Now, the Pilum X

Here she is to play with - what do you guys think?
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... ilum_X.shp
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

The Dervish and Raider are pretty unique ships in terms of shape, I would never have thought to build something so potbellied. Although I don't really like the Dervish, the Raider is better. I like both Pilums but seeing as this fixes balancing, it doesn't really look any different. For the Unforgiven, it sucks about the ai messing up with it, but broadside ai seems to mess up with me sometimes as well so don't worry about it, just hope that th15 fixes it. Also, did you make the particle gun's unable to fire (i.e. 0 range or 0 bullet speed)?
admiral_tee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by admiral_tee »

Thanks for the feedback Bab Boy.

The reason behind me making something 'pot bellied' (lol) is that I wanted a platform that looked like a natural fit for the rotating blaster thingy's :wink:

The Pilum is more a traditional cool looking ship.

The Unforgiven does have 0 damage/range/fire rate weapons on its shielded sections.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

You're welcome.

Both the Dervish and the Raider fit well with quadblasters so you succeeded in your goal. Also, I like how you placed nanomatrixes on top of them, it looks good.

What would be cool is if you create a fleet with similar design to that of the Dervish and the Raider. Although I'm not the biggest fan of their design, I have to admit that it is cool and works extremely well.
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

You've inspired me to make a fleet of circular ships now. Those ones look awesome.
Perturabo
Commander
Commander

Post by Perturabo »

I think the Pilum still has way too many flak guns for a ship that size. Solid projectiles are nearly useless against it.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

I like the Zulu and the Unforgiven for reasons I can't explain
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.