The Necrid - Update 25/01/2009 - Revenant Variant

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

TheShipwrightArms
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The Necrid - Update 25/01/2009 - Revenant Variant

Post by TheShipwrightArms »

Merry Christmas All,

I've been lurking for some time now trying to pick up tips, thanks to everyone who may have helped or inspired, albeit inadvertantly.

Although this is my first fleet, strictly speaking these aren't my first ships, as there were something like ships 8 before these.

As you can see I'm still learning so across the fleet the quality is slightly uneven, and only the later ships use the SMmod, Doo_Sections and so on.

There was blurb to go with this race also...

Added - 24/01/2009
Background Fiction

"We had watched them of course, our nearest neighbours, from across the deep void that separated our two systems.
Even then we knew they would come to rule their world.

Swift, insectile, utterly relentless, they tore a swathe through their ecology like an unstoppable gasworld tornado.
In the course of a few short centuries they had achieved what had taken us millenia to accomplish.

Eventually they would take to the stars, flinging themselves outward on flickering spikes of fusion. That they would make their way to us, the nearest, brightest star in their sky was only to be expected.

Yet here they seemed to stall, their crude reaction engines too slow to carry them across that empty vacuum. For a while we debated the merits of helping them, of granting them the least of our superluminal technologies, allowing them beyond the confines of their system where they might flourish and grow. I myself spoke before the Sororitorium, counselling caution, warning of the dangers a star-faring race like the Necrid might represent. In the end we chose intervention, a decision we would later come to regret.

At first however all appeared well. To us the Necrid were wholly alien, their short lives were as brief as sparks struck from a megafoundry. Each Necrid seemed to live in a fury, as though they felt the cold hand of death move inexorably upon them. But for all their differences they showed no sign of anything untoward. They were attentive and respectful, and consumed what knowledge we shared voraciously. For a time my fears were allayed.

Then dark rumours began to circulate. There were many things we had not told the Necrid, things we had deemed too dangerous for them to know and they had discovered this, although how we do not know. They were jealous of us it was said, jealous of our hidden knowledge, jealous of our technology, but most of all jealous of our longevity.

They attacked without warning, their ships - hard jagged shapes built in secret - blackening the skies over Thantus Prime. There was fear in the Sororitorium, even raised voices, a thing almost unprecendented among my people. Too late we realised our error. We had thought to temper them, guide them, turn them aside from the path they were set upon. But we could no more change them than temper a bullet, or alter the nature of a gun. They were a race obssessed to the point of madness.

My people were scholars and scientists, not fighters, so we did the only thing we could, we surrendered. But they said to us: "Your surrender is not necessary,"

All they desired they said was our medicines to regenerate them, our technology to replace what could not be regenerated, and our bodies to unlock the nature of our long lives...

Many of us are now gone, many more will be taken. Necrid experimentation camps run day and night and our beautiful world, once the jewel of an entire sector is slowly being devoured. I myself am waiting, one day my turn will come, these Necrid wish to live forever, and they are going to turn me inside out to discover how. Perhaps it is fitting, through our hubris my people helped unleash this terror, we did only what we thought was right but now uncaged the Necrid will not stop at us, will not stop at anything. My regret? Yes, I regret we didn't virus-bomb the bastards into oblivion while we had the chance."

Data fragment recovered from Listening Post Asterxes 7 Xena.

Spectre Class Experimental Beam Corvette

Wraith Class Gunship

Zombie Class Heavy Assault Transport

Phantom Class Torpedo Frigate

Ghoul Class Destroyer

Golem Heavy Freighter/Defence Monitor

Banshee Light Cruiser

Revenant Class Heavy Cruiser

Added - 24/01/2009

Added - 25/01/2009
Fast Cruiser Variant

Vampire Class Strike Cruiser

Added - 24/01/2009
Under Construction

Dracolich Class Battlecruiser

On The Drawing Board

BTW, I was thinking of rounding out the fleet with a couple of extra ships but I can't think of anymore decent Undead...

If anyone can suggest something that'd be gratefully received - Mummy Class Dreadnought just sounds a bit rubbish.

TSA
Last edited by TheShipwrightArms on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Giles
Commander
Commander

Post by Giles »

Wow, awesome ships, very nice.
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Wow! Everything seems done very well, from the outlining to the section usage. Fantastic work for a first fleet, well done and merry christmas!
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Those are damned impressive ships. The outlining seems alittle bright but thats probably just the shade of green. If anything, they seem slightly under armed but not so much as to be a problem. No complaints whatsoever except that you should put downloads up once their done so I can play with them!
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

Seriously, these ships are amazing!
I can't really say anything bad about them...
Awesome job man, I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us.

And for ship names, all I can really sudgest is "Ghast"
Hope it helps :lol:

Oh, and merry christmas to you too.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Wow. You have it all. Great ships for a first post, you lurked, and to top it all off, Christmas coloring.
You win an internet.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
Siber
Captain
Captain

Post by Siber »

Delicious. A touch of gratuitous outlining, maybe, possibly, but still delicious. Even if some curmudgeons eventually say otherwise.
seriously Anna. seriously oh my gawd seriously.

Author of DAF and Sillyness
Co-founder Homeworld:@
AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

Nice "classic" colour scheme, not too sure about teh purple. Shape's pretty good. However considering the shape and colour of the ships themselves, I'd prefer that you choose a different name for them.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Incredible! This really made my BSF Christmas! That's some pretty darn good lurking you did there.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

What Slayer0019 said. :D

Some names:

Wight
Skeleton
Lich / Liche
Ghost
Necromancer (not really an undead, but I think it fits the current naming theme)

Merry Christmas!
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Indeed, these ships are quite refreshing. Good job. I look forward to seeing your work in the future.

As far as names are concerned, I can't think of many right off the bat, but you might be able to find some here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_le ... _creatures.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Hege
Commander
Commander

Post by Hege »

This my good sir was a very delightfull sight from a new person.

For your first fleet, this is just excelent!

I cannot see any major problems on thise ships for now.
I hope to see more from you in the future.

Good job!
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/ddoxt0.gif[/img]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

These ships aren't just flawless. They're good. They're very good. The best ships I've ever seen from a first timer, and even from some of the more experienced shipbuilders. Good job, and welcome to the forums. I foresee the rise of a new master shipbuilder...

EDIT; I don't know if it's of any help, but another "undead" would be an "Inferi". I know, Harry Potter, blargh blargh. Either way, it's a sound name for a ship.
Last edited by ArcaneDude on Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Siber wrote:Delicious. A touch of gratuitous outlining, maybe, possibly, but still delicious. Even if some curmudgeons eventually say otherwise.
Quoted for truth
maarten
BANNED

love them

Post by maarten »

These are brilliant. "Best firs timers ever" to quote ArcaneDude.
Although I found one, just one, flaw. on the bigger ships the engines are smaller then on the med ones. This by itself isn't a real problem, but they aren't symmetrical. Doesn't look as good as the rest of the ship.
And I just love the shipjard pic. Keep it up.
And for the names; Spawner would be nice for a Dementer/missile platform.