First fleet in Battleships forever: Stormbreaker fleet

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF
Commander
Commander

Post by BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF »

These new ships are just getting worse and worse :/

They're all messy and piece-jumbled. You really should focus on making the inside of the ship more organized. Also those struts are fucking nasty, I don't know what possessed you but that needs to go ASAP.

Also the colors are way too dark, and they don't mesh well at all.

As for your earlier "dreadnaught", you pretty much have to get rid of that. The internals are completely messy, it's like sections thrown around without any sort of cohesion or theme. I suggest you scale down to some smaller ships and figure out maintaining neatness and detail before you start working at a larger scale.
Improving quality of life since 1955.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Here: Stormbreaker Superdreadnaught 2.

And also, A close-up of the strut:

And in response to BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF, I will scale down to level i was at before. If you like to look at my first picture of ships, please rate them also.
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

The ship is the upper right hand side of the first picture you posted was pretty good i think. Would be a good idea to follow along those lines.

Just some thoughts.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Also, could you clarify piece-jumbled for me? Is there to many kinds of sections? Are they not going together right or something?
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF
Commander
Commander

Post by BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF »

Deltaflyer wrote:Also, could you clarify piece-jumbled for me? Is there to many kinds of sections? Are they not going together right or something?
Piece jumble as in you're using too many different types of pieces in ways that don't always look right together. Also the differing shapes of all the different sections just don't mesh together well, and you end up with something full of holes that doesn't look neat at all.
Improving quality of life since 1955.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

So how many pieces is recommended for a ship? As in how many types of section?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

It may just be the crappy crt im forced to use this week, but that pic is too dark for me to see much detail...Anyway, for engines; one of the good ways to to color a section black, send it to the bottom layer (shift-q) and aegis it. Also helps to use the right section, like 9, 13, or a shrunken 17. With regards to coloring it black, pure black(meaning 0 r/g/b) bugs the game so do it near black. That way you will just get a nice glow, especially if you use multiple colors of aegis. There are other ways to do engines but since your already doing it, just work on good engine housings.
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Anna wrote:
T-002 wrote:I'm calling euthanasia on these ships.

Rid them of their misery.
T-002 wrote:You really can't tell? You've made all those ships in the first post and you can't tell what's so wrong with these?
Who the hell do you think you are, T-002? Me? Well, you're not me, that's for certain. He made a lot of newbie mistakes, but that might be because *gasp* surprise surprise, motherfucker, he's a newbie. Now, if these were zomg outright horrible ships, then I might understand your toughguy attitude, but they're not horrible. They're not great, but neither is anything you've posted, and by the look of things, you haven't posted any ships for nearly a year. You're not exactly king-shit of shipbuilding town.
Well, was I wrong? Sure, I may have had a toughguy attitude. Actually, I'm pretty sure of that, and I had no reason for it. But there was a downward curve in his ships, and compared to what he had built before, they were getting bad.

As for my ships... well, you got me there. I can't say I have. I've been bulding some, but personally, I just don't think they're ready for posting yet.

Ah well. I'm going back to my cave.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Delta its not that theres any limit on how many different sections you can you, but some fit together better to form larger 'sections'. My rule is that if theres points or random pieces sticking out, its not gonna look very good. Try building areas of a ship first, like the engines, reactors, bridge, whatever you wanna have on it. if you can line up some of the edges of different sections, you can get neat combinations, especially for wing struts.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Here's a new Thunderbolt Dreadnaught. After this ship, I am going to build up the Thunderbolt fleet and put all of it into the first post. I hated the original designs for the whole thunderbolt fleet (the ones i havent posted) and I am fixing them and in some cases, deleting and rebuilding them.

There's a backstory to this as well.

When the assault on Thetis B was won by enemy broadside craft, a new ship was commissioned within the Thunderbolt faction. The Thunderbolt Crusader class ship was equipped with large broadside arrays, ready to pulverise any ship that dared to attack it. Beamers on the rear and front gave it great staying power as it's many layers of abalative armor gave it good defense.

Here:

I spent ages on the shape trying to get it pixel perfect hehe...
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Deltaflyer wrote:I spent ages on the shape trying to get it pixel perfect hehe...
Wait. You do know that there is a mirror function which allows you to instantly create a mirror image of sections across the horizontal axis, don't you? And that it's not 100% accurate?
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Yes, i used the mirror function for this ship as well as all the others. I know it's not pixel perfect. I tried my hardest though. Any other thoughts on it?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I can see your trying to apply these ideas, which is good. The insides of the ship are still pretty random though. The center areas are somewhat better, and Im glad your getting into shading, but in addition to lining up the sections to close gaps created by mirroring, you could need to work on layering. When you mirror something, most the layering goes to hell so what was covered on one side sticks out on the other.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Just finished: Stormbreaker Battle Dread.

This ship was designed with staying power in mind. It's powerful, all-round weaponry allows it to attack enemies all around it. This makes it a very useful standalone ship. Since the construction of the enemie's Thunderbolt Crusader, however, they have been paired up in fleets to be able to bring enough forward firepower into force in order to destroy it.

Head/desk I put the wrong pic in... Here's the right one.

Pictured: Stormbreaker Battle Dread attacking the rear end of a Thunderbolt Crusader.

Last edited by Deltaflyer on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

I see some mirroring errors, leading me to believe there are more. Section 25s by the forward most broadside blasters, and 15s by the front beamers.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]