The Shipwrightizator

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kaelis

The Shipwrightizator

Post by Kaelis »

I cheated with my Mecha-SW pack.

Back when i was doing the first few, entirely by hand, it occured to me:
"By golly, this is something a trained Crab-eating Macaque specimen could do. Kaelis, you handsome chap, you are not a trained monkey, you are a cucumber! Would it be possible to write a script that automates certain parts of the process?"

Fast forward by fifteen minutes of thinking, an hour of coding, and two hours of staring blankly at the screen in startled realization ("It works. It shouldnt work. Why does it work?!"). The Shipwrightizator was born.

http://blaise-studio.com/kaelis/bsf/Shi ... or_v02.rar

Instructions

"What is this infernal contraption!", you ask. The Shipwrightizator, my valued wyrdysmite, is an instrument which automagically shades sections, from this to this. And heres how you are supposed to use it:

1. Follow The Inverted Section Tutorial up to step 2, then add the detail lines from the step 4, but without any shading/highlighting, just the lines. An example of how it should look like: LINK
2. Open up the Shipwrightizator. You will be greeted with the following screen: LINK
3. Now press O to open the sprite you did in step 1. LINK
4. Press space once. This will load the bitmap data into memory. Since this aspect of GM is notoriously slow, it might take a few seconds, so be patient. Once its done, youll see this: LINK
5. Next press space again. This will shade your sprite, and you will get a preview: LINK
6. Now you can press S to save the result. It will appear as 'output.bmp' in the same directory as the Shipwrightizator. Example output: LINK

There are certain rules on what colors you can use. Heres my palette/shading guide, for convenience: LINK

The six biggest circles are the main shades of gray you must use:
The rest is for shading/highlighting.

Main lines must be pure black 0,0,0 , and the background color is 128,0,0.
For the detail lines, you can use any color other than background and main line colors, as long as its darker than the colors surrounding it.

Mind you, the output is decent, but it isnt perfect. don't expect miracles. It might need tweaking, and as far as im concerned, it still needs a human touch.

Credit goes to TheShipwrightArms, inventor of this style. I salute you, sir!
Last edited by Kaelis on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Re: The Shipwrightizator

Post by Arcalane »

Kaelis wrote:"It works. It shouldnt work. Why does it work?!"
SCIENCE!

Off to test this. Will see how it goes. Back soon.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

:O :O :O Woah, if it works i declare win.
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

This is quite awesome Kaelis, thank you so much for making this. The only annoying thing is that you have to split large sections before SWA-ifying them and then recombine them.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
praetors
BANNED

Post by praetors »

a program truly useful, downloading and making now :D
ty for the post :)
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Slow conversion process;

Before you ask, no, I am not going to release these ones in particular. Mostly because it's just a test, and partly because, well, I don't have permission and I'm sure the authors will have their own ideas on how to handle their sections.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
praetors
BANNED

Post by praetors »

damn! :D . excites me :lol: . for a second I thought that would give the download link :P
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

I have just tested this, and I have come to a conclusion. The Shipwrightizer might be awesome for ship sections, but is it sucks for single section fighters. I had to take the shading that it did for one half and apply it by hand to the other half. As in, go in with the color dropper tool and the pencil tool and color in individual pixels. It took me an hour to do one single section fighter, and I had planned to do four more.

If I'm being horrendously idiotic in my processes, someone, please tell me.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

ODST wrote:I have just tested this, and I have come to a conclusion. The Shipwrightizer might be awesome for ship sections, but is it sucks for single section fighters. I had to take the shading that it did for one half and apply it by hand to the other half. As in, go in with the color dropper tool and the pencil tool and color in individual pixels. It took me an hour to do one single section fighter, and I had planned to do four more.

It's easier to copy the good part, then paste and flip it and replace the bad part. :o
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

Chiiro wrote:
ODST wrote:I have just tested this, and I have come to a conclusion. The Shipwrightizer might be awesome for ship sections, but is it sucks for single section fighters. I had to take the shading that it did for one half and apply it by hand to the other half. As in, go in with the color dropper tool and the pencil tool and color in individual pixels. It took me an hour to do one single section fighter, and I had planned to do four more.

It's easier to copy the good part, then paste and flip it and replace the bad part. :o
I just tested that, and it worked out perfectly. Thank you for the advice. You might see a few fighters from me soon.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

I have a question: Could you perhaps tell me if I can use this for sprites other than sections? I have a lot of trouble shading things, and was hoping to use this for other sprites.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

It should work on weapons, but as far as I know it only works in grays so you'll have to recolor by hand later if you want colors on them.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

A new version, that can process all sizes, not just 80x80:
http://blaise-studio.com/kaelis/bsf/Shi ... or_v02.rar

Ive also moved the thread to Custom Content, since it fits better there.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Could you please rehost? Your domain got sniped by spammers.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »