United Systems of the Milky Way UPDATE 7/23/09

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Are my ships good?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:49 am

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 24

praetors
BANNED

Post by praetors »

oh ty :D
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Right now, I'm simply using my current ships to test the if my 3rd gen ship designs are okay. The Coeus Heavy Cruiser is a 4th gen ship. As I said before they have more beef to them. Also, I don't care if it is harsh, as long as it's advice. :cool:
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Corporal Jomn wrote:AD, do you mean something more along the lines of this:

Its called the Coeus Heavy Cruiser if you wanted to know.
Now we're cooking with gas. The white's probably too bright and the green/cyan too dark, but that's a decent step up from tweaks of stock ships.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

I toned it down, gave a new weapon config, and renamed it the Crusoe Heavy Cruiser.

New ship! Well, it's the Lopen, but revised. It's a 4th gen Lopen.

Lopen Medium Cruiser

Is it better than the original?

Lopen Cruiser

Tell me please.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Aesthetically, these aren't too great or too bad. The Crusoe Heavy Cruiser is your best ship mainly because of its shape and size. Take a look at the overall shape of some of the ships in the Holy Ship gallery. It might give you some inspiration.

A few suggestions:

-Don't use super dark colors inside the hull.
-Use less weapons.
-Build slightly bigger ships. (it's easier to make better shapes)
-Lighter colors should go on top.
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

I know about using less weapons, I heard about building bigger ships thing bigger ships already, but thanks for the info about the colors.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
praetors
BANNED

Post by praetors »

download link please!! :D :lol:
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Forget the download. And I'm currently in the process of revamping my fleet.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
praetors
BANNED

Post by praetors »

ohhh damn... :?
hahahahaha :lol:
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Vincent Von Wolfe II wrote:Slayer, try to find the facts before calling yourself correct. I am an experienced shipbuilder with almost a hundred models, that I think are pretty dang good, so i think i am in perfect mind to call ArcaneDude correct. Besides, I was only able to join up today.
Congratulations. I've been on this forum for over a year, I've built far more ships than you, hell I've built more ships than most people. So if those are your criteria for being an experienced shipbuilder, I will whoop your ass every day. You can't just go on telling people to ignore me, shnookums. :wink:

@Corporal Jomn: yes. That's what I'm talking about. The only real complaint I have for the Crusoe is the colorscheme, I'm no fan of the white and green. Otherwise it's fine, basic, but fine. And yes, hiding the thrusters is a good idea. The Lopen is also a definite improvement, you're getting there.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Vincent Von Wolfe II wrote:Slayer, try to find the facts before calling yourself correct. I am an experienced shipbuilder with almost a hundred models, that I think are pretty dang good, so i think i am in perfect mind to call ArcaneDude correct. Besides, I was only able to join up today.
And yet you've posted none of these ships as far as I can see, a quick search turned up nothing. In fact I checked twice, still nothing. :|
If you've made any threads before the date of July 5th, 2009, then I'll stand corrected. Anything posted above that date doesn't count towards supporting your argument.

Furthermore the number of ships you've made, and how long you've been making ships, is completely meaningless. It's the quality of said ships that make you experienced and I've yet to see any of said ships of whose quality we can judge.

AD has plenty of room to speak while you? You do not, not until you prove that you actually do have experience worth more then a penny.

Be grateful, this is as merciful as I've ever been in a long time. I tend to deal with pompous cases like you far more harshly. (Understatement of the century)

---

Johm: The latest ships look a whole lot better. Try a less brighter shade of blue but not too dark now or it'll look worse then overly bright blue.

Also the white on green isn't really a pleasing color set, no. Try replacing the green with just near-black. Since that's what I interpreted it as at first anyway, and I think it'll look better as just near-black.
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Thanks for the tips guys! Did some tweaks on the colors, and here's where I got:

Top to Bottom:
Crusoe Heavy Cruiser
Crusader Medium Assault Cruiser
F-57 Vulture Fighter
Lopen Medium Cruiser
Patrenate Carrier

And to the side is a 3.5th gen ship, the Monitor Assault Carrier
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Wow. These look good for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on it but these ships just somehow work. I would advise removing a few weapons.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Now that is considerable progress. Good work.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

*Claps slowly*

Good, you followed my advice. And you choose a shade well. That's about what I was looking for. Good job.

That red ship has a problem with weapon spam though. Weapons are placed in spots too close to each other and look rather ... natural. They don't fit where they're placed.