United Systems of the Milky Way UPDATE 7/23/09

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Are my ships good?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:49 am

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 24

25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Omg! What has BSF turned into? Are people obliged to make pretty ships? Maybe he just wants to play a tactical strategy game and doesn't care about how the ship looks.

However, I can see some truth in what AD says.
Vincent Von Wolfe II
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Vincent Von Wolfe II »

Jomn, ignore ArcaneDude, your ships are better than most people think, and in just about all cases, better than any ship that I've made. :D
Behind every great man, there is a battleship that dwarfs a planet.
-King of Armagia
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

@25000st: If you want tactics, go play skirmish with stock ships. In a game that comes with an editor where you can edit any values you want and place as many of anything as you want, building a fleet that functions well is not hard at all. That is why we build ships that look nice, because otherwise there is no way to compare skill.

@Vincent: For a guy with a post count of 1 and with you as the newest registered user, you are in no position to tell ArcaneDude to be ignored. Also, your statement that his ships are better than your don't really say a lot when we have no idea what your ships are, and if you believe your own statement to be true, it may not be too big a compliment.

Come to think of it, there are an awful lot of Hestia variants in there.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

25000st, the word is 'obligated.' Thank you. Generally, if you decide to build ships, there is an expectation that you will do so well. This forum is generally (though not always) populated with ships designed to please aesthetically. (The common exception being ships that have unique features or uses) If you're posting ships that you did not intend to look good, you best be prepared to receive criticism.

Vincent: Yeah, AD was harsh, but what he said was true. The vast majority of veteran posters will be harsh, deal with it. If you can get past the rough manner, they're giving good advice.

That said, these are pretty nifty ships for a beginner. They're not perfect by any means, but they're definitely a solid start. My biggest concerns are A) Yes, you do use an excessive number of Hestia variants, and I think you could do a lot better using your own creativity to construct original ships; and B) You don't have a lot of section variation. This is more of a personal dislike, but with v.90, you've got a lot to work with, so use it to your advantage. If you like using mostly the original sections, keep on using them, but in the future try mixing things up, and just experiment with section usage.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

"Obliged" is a real word, thank you. To not further complicate things, let's just say we are both correct about obliged/obligated.
Vincent Von Wolfe II
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Slayer, try to find the facts before calling yourself correct. I am an experienced shipbuilder with almost a hundred models, that I think are pretty dang good, so i think i am in perfect mind to call ArcaneDude correct. Besides, I was only able to join up today.
-King of Armagia
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

I'm sorry but slayer is correct. Ad does provide good advice. But I would be interested in seeing your ships though.
Vincent Von Wolfe II
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Well, you won't have to wait long to see some of the Flagships That I've made.
-King of Armagia
praetors
BANNED

Post by praetors »

ArcaneDude wrote:If you've been lurking since 2006, which is a goddamn long time, you haven't been doing a very good job. The ships are shoddily constructed in some instances, with weapons dangling and parts overlapping where they shouldn't. The shapes are very stock, and somehow just posting a modified Hestia SEVERAL TIMES makes me get the greebles by principle. There is little to no originality in these ships, no creativity and some of them are just plain bad. The others? Well, the others are just plain generic.

Try to put some time into a single design, large or small doesn't matter. In fact I recommend small since I don't think you could pull off a large ship. Go for your own building style, your own shapes and concepts, etcetera. That's my advice.
wow :shock: , that was sudden :? , I too long ago that this game and just watch, never participate in this forum.
when I prepared to begin to show my project (the uniting of all the pieces created to date by all members of the forum in one game) the admin (I believe) scolding me and delete the link, I do understand that take into account some rules (I did not know) but I still seemed too abrupt.
returning to the point, I love your craft, and love one of these days post the link to download.
otherwise, if you do not understand something or is there any word that is not consistent because I am using the google translator because I'm not even American, I am Argentinian :D.
I hope nobody was offended with this, I am just expressing what I think, my goal here is not to make enemies but make friends. :)
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

AD, do you mean something more along the lines of this:

Its called the Coeus Heavy Cruiser if you wanted to know.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Vincent Von Wolfe II wrote:Slayer, try to find the facts before calling yourself correct. I am an experienced shipbuilder with almost a hundred models, that I think are pretty dang good, so i think i am in perfect mind to call ArcaneDude correct. Besides, I was only able to join up today.
Experienced is relative. Pretty dang good is not only relative, but you are biased. You can call AD correct because frankly he is. You cannot expect that he will be ignored, let alone on your command. The 'only joined today' thing is irrelevant.

@Jomn: Now we're getting somewhere. You might want to try hiding the thrusters, but this is a step in the right direction.
Got Steam?

25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Holy crap!

Much improved. Section usage is awesome. Shape is good too. The weapons also fit. Just lighten those green sections and you've got a great ship.
praetors
BANNED

Post by praetors »

I need you to teach me as the weapons are hidden, I tried and I could not, it's if you can, you could put a link to a download .sb4 with concealed weapons? so guide me. q does not need a complex ship. thank you very much :)
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

To hide a weapon, select it and press W. It will go to the same depth level as its parent.
Got Steam?

abortedfetus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by abortedfetus »

massive improvement!
just hide the thrusters or set their alpha to 0 to render them invisible.... thrusters are so unsightly