Delta's newest creations: Ships and Fleets.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Delta's newest creations: Ships and Fleets.

Post by Deltaflyer »

Hello. As you may remember, my last attempt at a thread like this ended in the awful thing of a thing called my Shift-tac fleet. I made a new thread since that one is 5 months old, and I don't want to stir up the old tripe that I made.

Anyways, my newest ships are more terran-style. For some reason, I havent been able to do alien/obsidian ships for a while now.

With credit to AD for inspiration (and his Forerunner sections), Blackhart for his EPIC custom sections, Kaelis for his Kae_generic's and Steampunk's and finally: Melvin for his BEAAAMUU pack, I give you my newest creations:

*carrier removed due to extreme suckiness*
Last edited by Deltaflyer on Mon May 18, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

They're sticks. Really and truly, you have created a fleet of spacesticks. That said, I don't particularly think the old 35's on top of a couple of them look particularly good, and the last ship in particular I don't like. The sidepods are basically giant blocks, joined to the hull by stick-thin pylons at right angles to both pods and hull. The runway at the front of the ship is extremely dark, essentially black, compared to the rest of the ship, and the whole backwards-icicle thing hasn't been pulled off well at all. At least, that's my opinion.

Oh, and you do know the quote in your sig is broken, right?
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Im guessing that space sticks is bad.
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

That last one's sideblocks look like they're just asking to get blown off. The thin look is...acceptable, I guess...on the other ones, but the carrier (I would assume), the thinness makes it look extremely fragile.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

It was just a test of BH's stick-like connector sections, but I didn't do it right. I wanted the bays to appear 'lower' than the body itself.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm concerned about beefing my ships up, because I don't want another Scour'a fleet to be made. I don't want to undo what I have learnt, in essence. I'll try though.
MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

They look unfinished, add pimp & doodies
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Is the black area on the last ship meant to be a carrier deck or a barrel?

Nothing wrong with them being stick-like long as you have proper armor. The blockier ones kinda remind me of Babylon 5 early Earth ships.

I like the color scheme but the engines could use some fluff.
EriErin
Commander
Commander

Post by EriErin »

Gah. Deltaflyer. These ships are an... interesting exercise in running away from your inability to build anything other than flat gray blobs with little splashings of white in the middle meant to represent some kind of bridge.
Deltaflyer wrote:It was just a test of BH's stick-like connector sections, but I didn't do it right. I wanted the bays to appear 'lower' than the body itself.
You could try shading?
Deltaflyer wrote:I'm concerned about beefing my ships up, because I don't want another Scour'a fleet to be made. I don't want to undo what I have learnt, in essence. I'll try though.
The thin, flowing hullforms you've chosen here don't highlight it too much, but they're essentially the same crap we've been getting for a while. Flat gray with a white blob in the middle. In essence, you have learned jack shit, and you don't want to fatten the hullforms because it'll become more apparent that they're gray blobs.

It especially becomes apparent in your larger ships that you couldn't be arsed to pick a shade between white and gray to create any form of pleasing gradient-- you could start with picking a lighter gray tone and creating some sort of gradation between the white blob and the rest of the ship. It would make these things a hell of a lot better, seriously.

...well, at least the shapes aren't bad.
[quote="Anna"]Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'll fuck you with a rake.[/quote]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Even though your shading is still in distress and requires help, your section usage has severely improved since the last batch of ships. The shapes of the ships...are straight 'n spindly. Needs sum MEAT ON THAT YO. What I *am* slapping you in the face for however is the pitch black runway. Just use a darker shade of grey for it, bot not eyeglaringly black, mmmkay?
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Isu
Captain
Captain

Post by Isu »

Feeeeeeed the Shiiiiippppsss

These ships are anorexic... The section usage is ok.

However. They look like ships that were rejected from the meta-game because they were too flimsy... Sorry, just my opinion.

Now. Positive things about these ships. I like the simplistic weapon loadout, I've never been one for more than about 3-6 weapons on a medium-sized ship, if even that. Fairly good usage of AD's sections... if those are his sections..?

Overall, they need lots of improvement.
On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Is this better?

MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

Make screenies in preview mode.

This new ship is still skinny, lacks meat, this is your main problem : The ships look like they are all skeleton ships which miss their armor.
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

It might not be a bad thing.
With less stuff to move the ships would probably get more speed or something.
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

Why should they be armoured?! what's wrong with something a little spindly for once?
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

New ship.

The Kaskari-class Battlecruiser, T-MID Phoenix, Registry no. ISC-09234.

Notes: The Kaskari-class is balanced to Alliance meta-game standards so far, and all weaponry withing the following description is Alliance-standard technology.

The Kaskari-class possesses 3 Dual HBE's, two are front mounted, and can fire to the front, port and starboard arcs. One is aft mounted, and can fire to aft, port and starboard. This gives the Kaskari-class the ability to fight on all sides to a high standard.

The four engine sidepods all carry a single HBE, rotated on 45 degrees from the bow on the front two sidepods, and 135 degrees from bow on the aft pair. They all have a total of a 90 degree firing arc, which complements their dual turret counterparts in providing all-around cover.

The engines are equipped with special frontal ablative armor, which protects the somewhat vuldnerable engine cowling from frontal attacks. The sides of the engine sidepod are also armored with this, which negates the possibility of the sidepods being destroyed, to an extent.

The frontal armament is made up of four LKC's, or Light Kinetic Cannons. They can put out a rather amazing volume of fire, which is even more outstanding considering the projectile's small size and penetrating power.

The front armament is completed with the integration of two front-facing auto-cannons. These use high-explosive shells, rather than fragmentary. This is because with fragmentary shells, when it exploded, much of the shrapnel would be thrown into space, uselessly, or in a worst-case scenario would be thrown back towards the ship that fired the rounds.

The defensive capabilities of the Kaskari-class are augmented with 6 point beams, which can lock onto an incoming projectile and destroy it outright. There are 2 on the bow, another two on the sensor spikes and a final pair on the front two engine sidepods.

It should be noted that the Kaskari-class, while powerful, was designed to be used as part of a fleet. This ship is slightly less powerful than a regular battlecruiser, since it has it's weapon array's spread to cover all arcs.

The ISC, or Interstellar Star Consortium, was formed in 2123 with the intent of becoming a space-faring buisness, building ship designs and selling them to the highest bidder. However, the Schism changed all that...

(more backstory and fluff depending upon whether I get up early enough tommorow morning.)