Shipmaking Q&A

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

I think what he meant was that if a rotational section is to rotate clockwise why is there a need to have a CCW Rot Speed, and that's not self explanatory.

I am sure this will be explained when the guide comes out.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

AnnihilatorX wrote:I think what he meant was that if a rotational section is to rotate clockwise why is there a need to have a CCW Rot Speed, and that's not self explanatory.
Because sections can be intentionally made to rotate counter-clockwise? Hurr self explanatory hurr. :|
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

Master Chief wrote:
AnnihilatorX wrote:I think what he meant was that if a rotational section is to rotate clockwise why is there a need to have a CCW Rot Speed, and that's not self explanatory.
Because sections can be intentionally made to rotate counter-clockwise? Hurr self explanatory hurr. :|
No. Please read what I wrote carefully.
Nothing can rotate both clockwise AND counterclockwise at the same time. That's where the confusion arises because there are two fields, 1 for CW speed and 1 for CCW speed.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

AnnihilatorX wrote:No. Please read what I wrote carefully.
Nothing can rotate both clockwise AND counterclockwise at the same time. That's where the confusion arises because there are two fields, 1 for CW speed and 1 for CCW speed.
I never did say anything about sections rotating in both directions at the same time. I merely said that sections can be made to rotate counter-clockwise, with the implication that this applies in the opposite direction of clockwise. And even if there are two fields for both CW and CCW speeds is it not clear to you that a rotsection can be made to rotate in either direction?
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

AND! Get this, this is fucking crazy, you can make it so a section rotates clock-wise to a certain point, and then rotates counter-clockwise back to where it came, if you so choose. That's why there's a speed for each direction, nimrod. This isn't rocket-science.

:roll: Oy... I really, really hope some decent documentation comes out soon. Then at least I'll be more justified in my rage.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

If so you don't need to fields.

Having 2 rotation speed fields is confusing if what you said is what the 2 fields are intended for. You could well use a single field and use a negative speed for CCW rotations.

I am only saying it's confusing and not self explanatory because the implementation of 2 fields at the moment suggested that you can trigger the sections to rotate CCW or CW at different rates depending on trigger. This is not said anywhere and thus not self-explanatory.

EDIT:
What I said above was before Anna replied.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

And I suppose I should explain something, just 'cause so many of you are newbies and thus don't understand:

When I call you names, or swear, it doesn't necessarily mean I hate you, or that I'm trying to insult you (although sometimes I am trying to insult you). It is just me expressing my frustration. It's how I talk. It's how I've always communicated. This will not change. So you'd best just adjust to it, and realise that I'm mostly not doing it to be an ass.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

The fact is you could interpret the use of 2 fields differently and because of this it's not self-explanatory. I personally understand this but I was speaking up for Kruxynus.

You could have 2 rates because:
1) the rotosection can be set to undo the action at different rates (this fact is not mentioned anywhere, except perhaps the screenshot posted at the previews which someone may not have seen)
OR
2) the rotosection could be triggered to turn either way

It's still not clear how you can tell it to turn CW first then fold back, or turn CCW first then fold back.

I am not asking for answers at the moment. I know this will be in the guide. I am just trying to say that sometimes what you think is self-explanatory may indeed be so or there may be some other possibilities of interpretation you may have missed.
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

Anna wrote:And I suppose I should explain something, just 'cause so many of you are newbies and thus don't understand:

When I call you names, or swear, it doesn't necessarily mean I hate you, or that I'm trying to insult you (although sometimes I am trying to insult you). It is just me expressing my frustration. It's how I talk. It's how I've always communicated. This will not change. So you'd best just adjust to it, and realise that I'm mostly not doing it to be an ass.
lol no worries. I was suprised at first when I visited this forum at the number of times mod swore. I've never seen this in any other forums.
I didn't take offence, actually I find this funny, but at the same time I felt a bit of sympathy for the noobs.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

When I attempt to create a turret section, I get this Error:

for object ShipSection:

Error in code at line 12:
(tr_ontype != 0 || tr_offtype != 0) ) then

at position 5: Unknown variable tr_ontype

I have the turret section (with 4 auto cannons) set with a machinegun with long range as it's driver, but I have not got a clue how to fix this. Please assist. Thank you.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Okay, Delta.

1) READ THE FUCKING BUGS THREAD.
2) THIS IS NOT THE BUGS THREAD.
3) THIS WILL NEVER BE THE BUGS THREAD.

4) If you hadn't guessed, we already knew about it.
5) We have a bugfix version coming out very soon that fixes it.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Actually, I thought I had gone wrong somewhere in the driver linking and whatnot, without realizing it was an actual bug. I posted the error up there so you could assist me.
Kruxynus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Kruxynus »

Anna wrote:
Kruxynus wrote:
TheBlueEcho wrote:Kruxynus - Well, at least to get you started, go to Ed2 tab on a desired section. Set the Rotating option to Enabled. Then set CW Rot Speed to 1
and CCW Rot Speed to 0.04. There, You should have a basic rotation Section.
i would like an explanation of what the propeties ACTUALLY DO instead of "set it EXCACTLY LIKE THIS so it will do EXCACTLY THIS every time." i want to be able to know what does what and make things with it.
It makes a section, and all the sections attached to it, FUCKING ROTATE.

Jesus Christ, you'd think a nice and simple name like "Rotating" would be self ex-fucking-planitory, but no, there's always some barely literate little fuck who can't even figure out "Hmm, they're called Rotating Sections. I guess that means that they rotate". No, you have to scream "WAAAH WHAT DO THEY DO!?" People like you are the reason I'm so fucking impatient with people asking retarded questions. 'Cause if you can't grasp simple word comprehension, then you're sure as hell never going to contribute anything worthwhile ever.

And yes, Hypothetical Wisdom is correct, triggers, moving sections and rotating sections are all rather buggy in the current release. Better to wait until the bugfixed release, which I understand should be coming out soon.
Ok. Your a moderator, your better than me. I'm wrong, your right. etc., but if i was asking how to make a section rotate, I obviously knew that sections were capable of rotating considering I was asking what the rotation properties do. and you, calm and cool, respond with something equivalent to: "YOU FUCKING MAKE IT ROTATE, YOU FUCK!". so, tell me, how?
[Insert wise quote/saying here]
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

Kruxynus wrote:so, tell me, how?
Change

Code: Select all

Rotation: Disabled
To

Code: Select all

Rotation: Enabled
Or do we have to check your reading comprehension?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Kruxynus wrote:Ok. Your a moderator, your better than me. I'm wrong, your right. etc., but if i was asking how to make a section rotate, I obviously knew that sections were capable of rotating considering I was asking what the rotation properties do. and you, calm and cool, respond with something equivalent to: "YOU FUCKING MAKE IT ROTATE, YOU FUCK!". so, tell me, how?
Look, there's a reason we tell people to use their eyes. It's because if you actually bother to look at the field names and tooltips, you'd not even have to ask these stupid questions because it's right in front of you, you're just too stubborn or too lazy to look for it yourself.

Have you ever considered exploring the interface? Perhaps trying out some of the functions on a test ship? The best way to learn is by doing, so get out there and get on with it!
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ