The Troubleshooting Thread

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

LTfoxfire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mouse movement limit

Post by LTfoxfire »

Happy New Year everyone! I got one of those Acer Mini laptops and installed BSF on it and it works perfectly. Sadly better than my desktop, but!.... The mouse only navigates as far down, just past the “Game Info” Button on the main screen. Oddly, when I press “ESC” key and the “do you wish to quit” window displays, my mouse icon changes to the default Windows arrow and it is free to move anywhere. When I press “Cancel” it returns to the BSF icon and the limit remains. Changing screen resolutions does not fix this and the game turns off full screen. I change the resolution to 800x600 and still cannot activate full screen. I believe it is this option that is preventing this. I am using the laptop’s built in mouse pad. Also something else. Even when I select the game to open in a 640x480 window or the full window, it always leaves a half inch space on the bottom showing part of the task bar. The option to “keep task bar on top of other windows,” is deactivated.

Any ideas?

**edit**

I honestly believe it’s the device driver setting on the laptop. The Ship maker window stretches so much horizontally only the tools window shows, but the entire drop down options is shown. I’ll try working with the laptop settings a bit more but any input is appreciated.

The Editor also has issues. Oddly, this seems like the program is stretching the images. I am not saying BSF has issues so don’t even go there. What I mean is the graphics are assigning the same locations, for say the links for the weapons and sections for example. If I place the mouse over the area where they should be, the option then highlights. So the graphics are, for some reason, stretching. I’ve tried virtually every graphic setting this laptop has to no avail. When I get home I will try to pull it up on a second monitor.

**Final Edit**
I did some more searching and finally found admiral_tee's post about the same issue. Even with extending the screen to a standard monitor, it fails to have the mouse move below the lower quarter of the screen in the game mode and even in 800x600, the Shipmaker stretches to all ends. I will converse with admiral_tee on this to see if he's found a fix to this. If anyone else has a "helpful" tip besides scrapping the laptop, please let me know.
If you have a car that can go the speed of light, don't bother to turn the headlights on.
Zae
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Zae »

i need some help.
For some reason, when i start my Encounter Test, t keeps saying this when there is alot of weapons firing at once

Code: Select all

ERROR in
action number 1
of Alarm Event for alarm 0
for object ctr_EShip:

In script shipEAI:
Error in code at line 594:
               if l_weapon[v].l_maxeng = 0 then

at position 29: Unknown variable l_maxeng
earthcrosser599
Ensign
Ensign

Post by earthcrosser599 »

I had been using the old version of Battleships Forever and had no real problems. Then I went on to find some weapon data and found a bunch of new weapons so I downloaded the new version. I made a custom ship with nothing special, just the normal green paint scheme and some of the new weapons. I keep getting this error message:

for object __newobject992:

In script initSections:
In script setSectionColours:
Error in code at line 15:
amt = point_distance(0,0,lengthdir_x(l_offsetlen,l_offsetdir) + lengthdir_x(len,dir+image_angle),lengthdir_y(l_offsetlen,l_offsetdir) + lengthdir_y(len,dir+image_angle))/l_owner.l_size-global.World_MinColour

at position 184: Division by 0.

I haven't changed any colors, weapon stats, or anything. For some reason I'm able to get roughly one in every twenty ship designs to work, but the others always give me this error message.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Ships with commas in their description or name will fail to load. That's what causes that error. Don't ask why. But it will be fixed in the next version.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
earthcrosser599
Ensign
Ensign

Post by earthcrosser599 »

That seemed to fix everything. Thank you.
Phlapl
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Phlapl »

I think that it may only be my computer, but the tesla gun does not shoot anything, stuff just gets destroyed in front of it. and I cannot see everything under the ED2 for a few of the weapons, no matter how i strech or shrink the game or resolution of my computer. Also, the upper limits on the numbers for hitpoints, weapon damage ect. are much lower.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Tesla doesn't show up when you're running in non-surfaced mode at the moment. We'll get around to implementing that shortly.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Question

Post by Silver Swordsman »

I don't know if anyone else reported this problem before, but immediately after I installed BF 0.9 on my computer, the FPS dropped abruptly from a 25-30 to a 3-7. I know it has to do something with the surfaces, but I had no problem with this beforehand, and the menu "combat" works perfectly fine (with surfaces) at first, with 30 FPS. After returning to the menu upon exiting a game (i.e. Sandbox), the entire menu "combat" slows down to 3 FPS.

*Basically, gameplay FPS dropped from a 30 in v.88 to a 2 in v.9

Turning off surfaces does help, but I prefer to have better graphics.

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9800 series, and my laptop has 1 GB of RAM, so I doubt that my operating system is not up to par.

I also tried reinstalling the game, but that didn't help.

Furthermore, in Ship Maker, I am unable to use the new parts (Kae_generic, Kae_stock), although the new weapons are available. Is there any way to fix this? I heard from somewhere about importing, but I am unsure about what to do. Can someone help me with these two issues?
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

The game was running fine, until... whatever point.
I then saved a ship (download of the .sb4and the .shp) while BSF was running. After I did so, the ship began to create an infinite error loop whenever it ran. I undid my most recent action and saved the ship again, but the infinite error loop continued.
edit: However, I was able to get around this by saving the .sb4 into a different folder, and replacing the old .shp and .sb4 with the new ones. Dunno
Last edited by lightstriker on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Re: Question

Post by AnnihilatorX »

Silver Swordsman wrote:I don't know if anyone else reported this problem before, but immediately after I installed BF 0.9 on my computer, the FPS dropped abruptly from a 25-30 to a 3-7. I know it has to do something with the surfaces, but I had no problem with this beforehand, and the menu "combat" works perfectly fine (with surfaces) at first, with 30 FPS. After returning to the menu upon exiting a game (i.e. Sandbox), the entire menu "combat" slows down to 3 FPS.

*Basically, gameplay FPS dropped from a 30 in v.88 to a 2 in v.9

Turning off surfaces does help, but I prefer to have better graphics.

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9800 series, and my laptop has 1 GB of RAM, so I doubt that my operating system is not up to par.

I also tried reinstalling the game, but that didn't help.

Furthermore, in Ship Maker, I am unable to use the new parts (Kae_generic, Kae_stock), although the new weapons are available. Is there any way to fix this? I heard from somewhere about importing, but I am unsure about what to do. Can someone help me with these two issues?
The new parts are used by presseing the Z key and selecting a different group by tilde ~ key and number 1-4.
Did you try a clean install without overwriting old folder? Try restarting the computer also if there are left-over instances of BF.
Billy Joe Bob
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Billy Joe Bob »

I must be retarded, and this has probably been posted, but Any custom ship I've downloaded, even Th15's tentaculat crashes the game with this message.

ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: User Defined 3
for object ShipSection:

Error in code at line 12:
(tr_ontype != 0 || tr_offtype != 0) ) then

at position 5: Unknown variable tr_ontype

Is it something to do with custom sprites?
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Its something to do with you not noticing theres a new version out. And posting in wrong thread.
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Thank you

Thank you, that does work. I will shall commence construction of a new fleet soon.

Yes, I did a clean install, and I rebooted the computer, but that still doesn't solve the framerate issue. Can someone help?

Solare:
M123
Captain
Captain

Re: Question

Post by M123 »

Silver Swordsman wrote:Basically, gameplay FPS dropped from a 30 in v.88 to a 2 in v.9
In version 0.89, there was a graphics improvement as well as some kind of optimisation to the surfaces which I think was supposed to prevent an error that occured on some systems; these changes are also present in 0.90, from what I can see. Unfortunately, the updates seem to reduce performance significantly on lower-end computers.
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Ahh, makes sense...

Excuse me, but exactly HOW MUCH of RAM would now be needed to run this thing?

Solare: