Space General: World War IV

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Malahite
Captain
Captain

Space General: World War IV

Post by Malahite »

I've just found a nice turn-based strategy game, that might get the interest of either turn strategies fans or battleships fans.

http://www.tankopoly.com/ww4/

[b][color=red]Comrade Malahite
Red Star Navy senior designer[/color][/b]
[i]"True beauty lies in the eye of the viewer"[/i]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8817/signeh5.jpg[/img]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

I have played it before, but I do not think it was a good game, in all honesty. Too fiddly, long-winded. Then again, I do prefer faster games but thats just me.
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

I've played the WW2 version. I thought it was a nice twist on the original battleship game but as Deltaflyer said, can get somehwat slow and tedious, especially when chasing flagships round and round before you run out of time.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Now thats some butt ugly graphics and interface. can't believe people are playing that without getting an eye cancer.
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

Kaelis wrote:Now thats some butt ugly graphics and interface. can't believe people are playing that without getting an eye cancer.
Never played Cannon Fodder?

I say, screw the graphics xP
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Good lord that's ugly.

I'll stick with Space Empires 4/5, thanks. :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Malahite wrote:I say, screw the graphics xP
I'd say that too if it was freeware. But it's not.
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

Exethalion wrote:
Malahite wrote:I say, screw the graphics xP
I'd say that too if it was freeware. But it's not.
Bah, never was going to play more then the demo. Still, Mount&Blade can be an example of a game that's not good in graphics, but has more gameplay then several next-gen games. [And, it won Game of Year 2008 award by players vote on gamecorner.pl]
duestchland1
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by duestchland1 »

I have to agree with the majority on this, now if you don't mind I shall take my leave. I have tumors in my cornea.
I lost my avatar because I made it too big.
Siber
Captain
Captain

Post by Siber »

There is a difference between bad graphics and bad art. If you go back and look at successful games from the area where graphics were even more primitive than this, they still don't look as ugly as this does. Pong had better art than this.
seriously Anna. seriously oh my gawd seriously.

Author of DAF and Sillyness
Co-founder Homeworld:@
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Siber wrote:There is a difference between bad graphics and bad art. If you go back and look at successful games from the area where graphics were even more primitive than this, they still don't look as ugly as this does. Pong had better art than this.
And pong has only 2 colors :lol: .
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Siber wrote:There is a difference between bad graphics and bad art. If you go back and look at successful games from the area where graphics were even more primitive than this, they still don't look as ugly as this does. Pong had better art than this.
I have to agree with Siber here... That's why Gamespot in their anual gaming awards typically have two seperate categories for excellence in graphics from a technical standpoint and excellence in graphics from an artistic standpoint... A person doing facial composites may have excellent technical drawing skills (perhaps not so much 'nour days, but in the past facail composities were sketched by hand) but his results aren't going to be works of "art"... Indeed, this is by design as the composite is only supposed to give the cops an idea of what the perp looks like...

Equally, it's entirely possible to make even primitive graphics look really good... One of my favourite examples would be the technically god-awful but artistically proficient graphics of the first three Spyro video games...

Then of course there are those (far less common) pieces which perfectly combine both the artistic and the technical... My favourite example would probably be this beautifal piece by DeviantARTist NocturnalMoTH...

http://nocturnalmoth.deviantart.com/art ... r-34293416
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
duestchland1
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by duestchland1 »

An excellent explanation of the difference between the two trek, I can name quite a few games that had one but not the other. *cough* cuboid heads.
I lost my avatar because I made it too big.
Imperator Pavel I
BANNED

Post by Imperator Pavel I »

I used to play both the WW2 and space version
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Hey, noob, read the damn rules and check the dates of posts before posting in a thread, for Christ's sake. This thread's been inactive for around three months.

Don't. Fucking. Necro.

EDIT: Looking back through your posting history does not impress me. If you keep making worthless one-line posts, I will start giving warnings, and you will be temp-banned.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.