Battleships Forever Info | 0.90d released 14 Apr

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

kronos10 wrote:...i loved it how there are over 100 sections...
There are actually more, 193 to be exact, but you only get to see half of them in the supplied group set up. Look into Custom Sprites directory.
kronos10 wrote:...i just didnt like how it didnt support sb3. files i lost all of my previous work and i won't be able to continue...
Unfortunately, due to the difference between how sb3s and sb4s are saved/loaded, we havent been able to make sb3 loading work. A converter may or may not come.
kronos10 wrote:...It just gets a bit frustrating how i can run Crysis on Very High and theres almost never lag and how i run battleships forever horribly isnt that ironic?
Indeed, but again - theres nothing we can do about it. Low performance is an inherent GameMaker flaw, not poor coding of BSF.

It would be nice if you could use proper punctuation, though =P
KiT
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by KiT »

Ooh, looks like i decided to check out the BSF forums just in the best possible time.
Now you can see every weapon's default stats instead of the stupid "default"! Hooray!

I will probably even get back to trying to design the ultimate ship price calculation system I was developing a long time ago, and which got stalled because I was too lazy to empirically find out all obscure special weapon stats, like parameters of tachyo weapons and so on...

But FUCK! there are loads of new weapons! that's alot of work!
Well, at least they don't seem to have many weird parameters.

Anyway, great job on this new version, thank you!

[edit]Oh, and where's the tournament section? Am i really that blind, ir it really has disappeared?
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

It was archived by AD. No one had done a tournament in forever. It's in the archive section now.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

FIREST0RM000 wrote:It was archived by AD. No one had done a tournament in forever. It's in the archive section now.
*ahem*

AD never had that kind of power, although I think he did suggest the idea.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I did yes, and then you (Arc) archived it.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
kronos10
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kronos10 »

Kaelis wrote:
kronos10 wrote:...i loved it how there are over 100 sections...
There are actually more, 193 to be exact, but you only get to see half of them in the supplied group set up. Look into Custom Sprites directory.
Oh wow i should have checked that before.
kronos10 wrote:...i just didnt like how it didnt support sb3. files i lost all of my previous work and i won't be able to continue...
Unfortunately, due to the difference between how sb3s and sb4s are saved/loaded, we havent been able to make sb3 loading work. A converter may or may not come.
kronos10 wrote:...It just gets a bit frustrating how i can run Crysis on Very High and theres almost never lag and how i run battleships forever horribly isnt that ironic?
Indeed, but again - theres nothing we can do about it. Low performance is an inherent GameMaker flaw, not poor coding of BSF.

It would be nice if you could use proper punctuation, though =P
Hehe About punctuation im still learning english but at least im not saiyng stuff like:
u ar gai :lol:
But then again im still improving.
THIS IS SPARTA
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Hey, I wonder are we now able to adjust the center of the section to adjust rotating axis?
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

You stick the seciton on a rotating section and that causes the rotation origin to be different.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
duestchland1
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by duestchland1 »

The current use of the beamer section to show the Tesla could lead to some confusion, I suggest replacing it with the Uber Tesla coil cannon projector phallus thing shown here. http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3163
That style of weapon will go nicely on my Spaceman Spiff saucer.
I lost my avatar because I made it too big.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Shame they've all been removed and that it's hard to make a good weapon sprite for the Tesla because of the way it works.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

Kaelis wrote:
Oh I didn't know BF is not made on custom engine. If that's the case then indeed performance side nothing can be done about it, which is a bit of a shame really.
Arcalane wrote: Shame they've all been removed and that it's hard to make a good weapon sprite for the Tesla because of the way it works.
Or we can make a sprite resembling a tesla coil. Like the ceramic discs you see at power substations.
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

th15 wrote:You stick the seciton on a rotating section and that causes the rotation origin to be different.
I wanted to make spheres (and its analogues) to be spinning around the ship, serving as ablative shields.
duestchland1
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by duestchland1 »

Isn't the guy who made the sprite still around?
I lost my avatar because I made it too big.
Da_Higg
Captain
Captain

Post by Da_Higg »

Artman40 wrote:
th15 wrote:You stick the seciton on a rotating section and that causes the rotation origin to be different.
I wanted to make spheres (and its analogues) to be spinning around the ship, serving as ablative shields.
You can - burry a piece to serve as the axle, and parrent the floating circles off it.
Look Up
upon reading this:
50% of people will have scrolled up
25% will have looked at their ceiling
The last 25% can now feel smug because everyone else has taken orders from a little sig box.
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Da_Higg wrote:
Artman40 wrote:
You can - burry a piece to serve as the axle, and parrent the floating circles off it.
Thanks! Even though it's not that performance-friendly.

[EDIT]Actually you can't! Screen is filled with error then.