Running BSF on a EeePC 900

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

admiral_tee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Running BSF on a EeePC 900

Post by admiral_tee »

Hi guys,
I looked around, did a search, and couldnt find any posts similar to my situation.
I've just bought a EeePC 900 - Celeron 900mhz, 1GB RAM, 30GB SSD, XP Home.
Its purely for browsing and word processing, blogging etc.
To pass the time i looked at my game collection on my PC and thought that BSF could run ok on it - exc those wank ships or mass skirmishes.

It does run surprisingly well, once you turn off most of the extras.
However, its the screen size/ratio that is causing some issues.

The screen runs at 1024*600, i've set BSF to run at Widescreen.
The 'bug' i see is i cannot scroll the mouse/arrow down past about the last 1/4 of the screen - it then appears at the task bar.

Is there a way to make the game run at a different resolution - ie a customised resolution?

Or can anyone think of an alternative troubleshooting tactic?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Tee
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

you could try running it in windowed mode. that might solve the problem, since then BSF can run at whatever resolution it feels like.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
admiral_tee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by admiral_tee »

FIREST0RM000 wrote:you could try running it in windowed mode. that might solve the problem, since then BSF can run at whatever resolution it feels like.
Thanks firestorm000, yeah i've tried running it in Windowed mode, as well as run the eeepc screen resolution at 1024*600, 1024*768, 800*600, and still receive the same problem, ie the lower 1/4 of the screen is not accessible by the mouse icon and moves straight to the task bar...

Hmm, is there a way to modify and have different resolutions, ie via some config doc/file..?

Tee
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Unfortunately, no, there's no way to edit the resolution of BSF. That's odd, though, 1024x768 should work. It should fit in that just fine.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

he said 1024 by 600
game runs 800 by 600 default I think.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

FIREST0RM000 wrote:he said 1024 by 600
game runs 800 by 600 default I think.
Are you fucking retarded? He said, in his MOST RECENT post:
Thanks firestorm000, yeah i've tried running it in Windowed mode, as well as run the eeepc screen resolution at 1024*600, 1024*768, 800*600, and still receive the same problem, ie the lower 1/4 of the screen is not accessible by the mouse icon and moves straight to the task bar...
And the game runs at 1024*768 by default. Always has, and there's no way to change it. SHIPMAKER runs at 800*600.

Dipshit.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
admiral_tee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by admiral_tee »

Thanks for the replies.
I'll investigate some more.

Tee
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

alright, does this happen on any other programs, games especially. if so, it is more likely a problem with your computer than the game.

also, do you have a graphics card, or is it an integrated? also, what kind of monitor do you have, how new is it, and is there any special software that interfaces between your computer and monitor, or any other specialized graphics software on there?

I have had a similar problem when changing monitors used for my desktop.
And the game runs at 1024*768 by default. Always has, and there's no way to change it. SHIPMAKER runs at 800*600.

Dipshit.
I fail. guilty as charged.

EDIT: I looked up the stats for the computer, and the screen does only run at 1024 by 600. that's most likely the problem right there. BSF runs 1024 by 768. doesn't fit. an external monitor *might* solve the problem if it ran at the appropriate resolution.

EDIT2: quoted from the site for SF
XP: 12GB Solid Solid State Drive
Linux: 20GB Solid Solid State Drive
30GB External HDD
he might just have given the external HDD by mistake?
Last edited by FIREST0RM000 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

FIRESTORM000 wrote:also, do you have a graphics card, or is it an integrated? also, what kind of monitor do you have, how new is it, and is there any special software that interfaces between your computer and monitor, or any other specialized graphics software on there?
The EEE PC is a lightweight, ultra-portable laptop. As far as I know they're still using an integrated graphics chip, but I could be wrong. I think the 900 has an 8.9 inch LCD, not sure about that though, but if I remember correctly it has a VGA socket on the side. Again, it's been a while since I looked up detailed specs, so I could be wrong.

Anyway Admiral_Tee, just curious here, but I noticed you said it had a 30GB SSD. Where exactly did you get this number from? I just did a quick check, and I'm getting 20GB as the largest, so I would appreciate it greatly if you would point me to your spec sheet. Again, it's pure curiosity on my part.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
admiral_tee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by admiral_tee »

Swamp Fox wrote:
FIRESTORM000 wrote: Anyway Admiral_Tee, just curious here, but I noticed you said it had a 30GB SSD. Where exactly did you get this number from? I just did a quick check, and I'm getting 20GB as the largest, so I would appreciate it greatly if you would point me to your spec sheet. Again, it's pure curiosity on my part.
Yeah, its got me beat. I have 2 drives on this device.
One at 8GB and another at 22GB.
The box says 30GB.
Yet, i also can't find this spec anywhere on the ASUS site - i even registered the device and still can't find the specs - the site simply says I have a EeePC 900.
It is confusing as there are many different types of EeePC, even some that are region specific.
I'll email ASUS support about this and get an answer.

I can run the 1024*600 screen at 800*600 (stretched...) - and looking at Anna response it looks like BSF won't work on a screen at that resolution - 800*600...
I know the Ship Maker does run at that res'.