Let's Play Space Empires V! - UNDER WAY!

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Every turn.

@Muug; The planet (our homeworld) is Gyesmyd. The star system is Rukbat. Always has been.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Arcalane wrote:Every turn.

@Muug; The planet (our homeworld) is Gyesmyd. The star system is Rukbat. Always has been.
And you never offered assistance to Pern? You bastards ;_;
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

ah! i like those books. first thing on this forum i can actually relate to... it must be a trick...
and thank you Arcalane. That's pretty damn high maintanence costs though, no?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Nah, that's fairly mild in the long run, though currently we are slowly losing radioactives (which should be countered by a new rad plant on the recolonized Achird planet) and Anna is considering remote mining.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

i see. Are maintanence prices a set percentage of the total price, or are they given individually per object (so some would, say, have a higher initial purchase but lower maintanance than others, and vice-a-versa) or does that not really occur?

also, if plasma missiles are currently our strongest technology, may i ask why we are advancing technology in the beam field as opposed to that in the missile field, or does research not work like that?

sorry for all the questions, its been a while since i've really sone a complex (in this way at least) turn based strategy game.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Because you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket, LS.

Also, Anti-proton Beams are instrumental in PD later in-game, due to the lack of multiplex tracking. Since they are single-fire instant beam weapons, they do not waste excess shots on fighters.

Senator Normandy stood up.

"If the Urak'tal have fighters, then why are we not moving to counter? We must develop greater fighter technology, in addition to the advances we are making now. Carriers proved instrumental in pre-space naval combat, and there is little doubt in my mind that carriers will be instrumental in space combat."
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Carriers yes, fighters yes. But Point defense weapons are also instrumental to our cause because fighters can't always pin other fighters in place.

Furthermore I'm concerned about the Ukra-Tal developing good point defense of their own and shooting down our missiles. Do we have a plan for this?
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

right... that makes sense... heh...heheh...heh...sigh...

The robotic avatar of senator Taltos stands.

As my once living counterparts actions have hopefully showed, the Urak'Tal, although strong, are slow and lumbering compared to some of the ships we have produced. This is a war in space, my compatriats. As my colleague senator Normandy has suggested, speed is truly the answer. Our weapons technologies seem designed for speed, whether it is our missiles capable of out-ranging anything the opposing fleet can bring to bear, or our light weapons capable of destroying the smaller ships which will attempt to follow us. Destroyers are all well and good, but even in a small fight, we must worry that the one fluke shot can break through our defenses
(yes yes, I know we have shields now, give me creative license please :D ). Long ranged, fast frigates are the best approach to exploiting our opponents weaknesses. Although a "core" fleet could certainly be useful as well, superiority in numbers and range will always surpass pure strength, especially in the unrestricted ranges of space.

oh, and sorry for the post spam.
doc525
Commander
Commander

Post by doc525 »

Do you have to sign up or something to add your opinion, or can you just voice your opinion?
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Just voice your opinion.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Anna wrote:Just voice your opinion.
I think I will too... :)

One of the younger members of the floor, the up and coming 'impudent upstart' Senator Trek, waited for senator Taltos' avatar to finish speaking and then, with slight nervousness, stood to adress the senate for the very first time...

"Ah hemm..." he cleared his throat. "I must concour with Senator Talos' position on our military forces... Umm... I'm sure you've all heard the old adage of 'speed is amour' and indeed, surely making your enemy unable to fire at you is simply the best kind of armor avaliable..."

So for so good, he thought...

"I... But I... I... What I think we should emphasise..." he continued, barely avoiding going into a stutter. "Is our ability to outrange the enemy. As the calculations of the V-to the Second Power Law will tell us, even if one cannot keep the enemy out of their firing ranges forever, being able to out-range them will still prove to be an advantage... The... The reason I want to see this emphasised over pure speed is that the reverse of this scenario is not true... Umm... You see... Being able to keep your enemy at arms length is mostly useless if your weapon ranges are equal or less than those of your opponents, unless of course your ships have the kind of manuverability only avaliable to vessels of fantasy..."

He took a very long pause...

"I would also support the development of fighter technologies as another method of long range attack..." he added, with growing confidence... "What I mean by that is that a carrier should be able to sit back outside of the enemy's range and launch its fighters into the fray, entire squadrons of which would cost a mere, in terms of both resources and manpower, of what a capital ship would, even a small one such as the late Lightstriker... Naturally, of course, these... fighters, should be as survivable for their pilots as possible, so as not to waste personell..."

He even managed to smile at this point. He was doing well, and he knew it...

"One last thing..." he said. "Whatever happened to that Urka-Tal colony vessels that was disabled by one of our warships?
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

"It's Ukra-Tal, you blithering imbecile, and for the last time, we are developing a counter. The point defense guns can target fighters. We recently designed a point defense destroyer, the schematics of which are available for perusal. Do I even need to say any more?"

"Regarding Ukra-Tal Point Defense; Technically, they already have, but they can't afford the space on their ships for truly effective PD, and our missiles are fairly durable. It takes several of their frigates to provide point defense versus a single Excessive Firepower."

"Re Speed; Actually, initial reports suggest that our ship speeds are on a roughly even footing in terms of speed. Destroyers are no slower than frigates and have additional hull space for weaponry. As a chassis they are infinitely superior. As for increasing speed, our engineers note that there are a limited number of propulsion links available. Each hull can only fit a certain number of engines - anything more is a waste."

"Speed as armour is useless when they finally catch up - which they will, I can assure you - , shoot your engines out and then rip into your unprotected hull with reckless abandon. As for our own fighters; we are looking into the possibility, but our scientific resources are limited. Very limited. Fighters look promising but are out of our reach, as we need to focus our development."

"As for the colony ship, it has been disabled and immobilized, and is now awaiting a recovery team. We are working on developing the necessary technology to be able to recover the vessel without the change in atmospheric contents and pressure being a hazard. It is not as easy as it sounds, let me assure you."
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anna

Post by Anna »

2404.1:
Our economy is starting to strain a little. It's just not strong enough to support the massive militarisation. This can and will be rectified, largely by colonising and mining nearby planets, and once the option is available to us, also with remote mining ships. For now, however, there will need to be a few... budget cuts. GSt Aidan-b and GSt Atrum-b, two I'll Take That-class Troop Transports remain waiting at Gyesmyd until the repair ships and and point defense vessels are completed. Little else of note occured, however several Cue Cappa ships have appeared in the Mazrim system. They seem displeased with our presense there. Here's hoping we don't end up at war with two alien species.

2404.2:
The Cue Cappa Commonwealth ships we detected attempted to assault our garrison in the Mazrim system, that were guarding the warp point into our space.
Their three attack frigates were fortunately no match for the speed and the long-range weapon systems on the GSw Manifold, Swamp Fox and Hades, and were thoroughly annihilated, without even scoring a single weapons hit against our hulls. Perhaps that will teach them a lesson or two. Naturally, before their attack, they sent us messages refusing our request for aid against the Ukra-Tal. In more troubling news, the Ukra-Tal appear to have snuck intelligence operatives on to our planets. A recent terrorist attack damaged our resource storage facilities, causing major economic disruption. If we don't manage to find a new source for raw materials, our economy will soon collapse upon itself. Perhaps before invading Ukra-Tal space, we should work more on stabilising our infrastructure. This would, of course, give the Ukra-Tal more time to build up their defenses. Senators, the choice is up to you.

In other news, the GSw DoubleThink found another Ukra-Tal planet in the Mazrim system, and once again was met by a large attack force of some fourty or more heavily armed fighters. Fortunately, it was once again able to flee outside of their operational range, before they could reach it. Even one of our dedicated point defense ships would be overwhelmed by such large numbers. Let us hope we're able to field enough of them.

[Apologies for the late update, and I'm sorry this one is so small. I would have gone further, but I thought this was an important matter that should be voted on. Basically, we've got two options: We can keep heavily miltarising, invade Ukra-Tal space, conquer their asses, and hope our economy doesn't collapse. Or, we can delay the attack, and try to expand our infrastructure. This is something we can afford to do, since our ships are quite a bit more potent than theirs, and thus we should have little difficulty holding our borders. But then, it also gives them time to increase their standing armed forces and defenses. So, make your choices, and feel free to raise any thoughts you might have.]
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Atrum
Captain
Captain

Post by Atrum »

Sylen:

Wipe them out, all of them.

May I propose a compromise? We shall spend some time stabilising our infrastructure to reduce the effects of future terrorist attacks, then immediately

ENSLAVE THE UKRA-TAL TO THE LAST MAN.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Atrum wrote:Sylen:

Wipe them out, all of them.

May I propose a compromise? We shall spend some time stabilising our infrastructure to reduce the effects of future terrorist attacks, then immediately

ENSLAVE THE UKRA-TAL TO THE LAST MAN.
There is a reason I asked for one or the other. Our economy and infrastructure just aren't stable enough at the moment to focus all our attention on both expansion and war. At the moment, our best bets are either an all out attack as soon as possible, or holding back, defending our borders, and building up our infrastructure.
Quality Control Enforcer