The Sigma Project [IC]

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

The Sigma Project [IC]

Post by Normandy »

Character Roster* -
1. ChaosTheory – Ken Achard
2. DoubleThink – Adi Klausmann
3. MasterChief – Boris Gorbachev
4. Swamp Fox – Alexander Hawking
5. T-002 - Ivan Faust
6. AidanAdv - Órfhlaith Líle
7. Himura.Kenshin - Mira Syntas

Dead/Not Playing Characters:
1. Empty – Brett Kelton
2. Derekiv – James Falconson
3. Flabort – Charles Ripcad
4. Doc525 - Killian Stephenson
5. Skull 13 – Eric Benhurst
6. JaffaJoke91 – Joseph Jones

Normandy - Felicie Engel

*Character States:

Healthy - No health problems whatsoever
Lightly Injured - Things like cuts and bruises; no danger except in infection.
Moderately Injured - Things like mild concussions and somewhat large cuts. Some danger if left untreated for a long time.
Heavily Injured - Things like gashes in important, but not vital arteries, fractured bones, etc... Needs somewhat immediate medical attention (e.g. a fractured bone won't kill you if you don't get it checked within the next 6 minutes)
Severely Injured - Things like gashes in vital arteries/organs, missing limbs. Can be saved with immediate medical attention, but only if it is immediate.

Incapacitated - Unable to move, possibly to speak. Usually temporarily (e.g. stunned, immobilized)
Unconscious - Do I need to explain?
Dead - (See above)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Felicie was originally designated to be the one in control of the mission; thus she was already awake and briefed by the time the selected crew members had filed into the small meeting room. There were not enough seats; there were only 9 within the room. Yet thirteen had entered.

Felicie announced herself to the crew. "I am Felicie; designated captain. I hope you are all feeling fine, for today we set out on our first mission to this brave new world..."

She pointed out the small viewport, to the planet below for effect.

"...I have been awake some time now, about four weeks of Earth-time. I have been studying this planet for a while using the tools NOAH has access to, but as you know, I can only see so far into this planet's workings. Your job, my fellow crew, is to go down there and explore."

She typed a few commands into NOAH's console. A printout emerged on the screen:

Code: Select all

Star:
Type: G7 V
Luminosity: 0.875
Mass: 0.900

Planet(s):
Name: Briar 1	  Type: Terrestial
Diameter: 15880 km
Orbit Radius: 0.9 A.U.    Orbital Period: 328 days    Rotation: 25 hours
Density: 0.9      Gravity: 1.12g      Mass: 1.739
Atmosphere: Dense     Pressure: 3.026 atm     Oxygen Pressure: 0.000 atm
Atmos Comp: Methane/Water Vapor       Water: Oceans
Magnetic Field: 0.711 gauss
Avg Temperature: 26°C     Summer: +25°C     Winter: -28°C
Day: +6°C   Night: -6°C   Equator: +13°C   Polar: -46°C
Boiling Point: 133°C

Surface Map:
ERROR - Unavailable. Atmospheric Albedo >50%.

Moon(s):
Name: Briar 1-1   Type: Rock
Diameter: 6497 km
Orbit Radius: 873 thousand km
Density: 0.6      Gravity: 0.31g      Mass: 0.079
Atmosphere: None
Avg Temperature: 36°C
"We are currently in the system Briar, as assigned by NOAH. The star, G7 V, is a lot like our sun, except slightly younger and smaller. But this is compensated by the fact that the planet, Briar 1, orbits slightly closer as well. Briar 1 is remarkably similar to our own planet, Earth. We are lucky to have ended up so close. The only exception is the lack of gaseous oxygen on the planet - but this can be remedied through the hydrolysis equipment which we have; as water vapor is prevalent throughout the atmosphere in extremely high concentrations."

She made a motion to the error message where the surface map should have been.

"Unfortunately, the cloud cover is extremely high on this planet. NOAH was unable to penetrate the clouds in either the visible or infrared spectrum to create any detailed heightmap or otherwise useful navigational aid. It is too blurry to discern any useful topographical information at all. As well, the GPS signal provided by this ship will not be able to penetrate the cloud cover either; you will just have to use your wits."

Finally, she pointed towards a door on the other side of the room.

"Down there you will find two things - the equipment lockers, and the airlock. We are not very well stocked, with only a few first aid kits, survival gear (climbing gear, knives, tents, etc...), and a few handguns. You will also find your rations - about 7 days' worth. Once you are done stocking, the pod bays will be opened. I hope you all know how to parachute - we will descend down into the atmosphere and find a place to drop you. Sounds dangerous yes, but we don't really have a choice. I shall then pilot the ship back into orbit to conserve energy. I shall return into the atmosphere within 5 days, in which you are to radio the ship your position as compared to where you started - even without a signal the GPS receivers you all have can do that. I shall find a safe place to land, and you shall board the ship and report on your findings."

She made a gesture towards the cryogenics bay.

"If you find that this planet is suitable for living, we shall unfreeze more, and begin the construction of a small biodome. We can only grow so much food on this ship to feed you; otherwise we would have awoken everyone."

Finally, she typed a few more commands into NOAH and turned off the screen.

"I have uploaded the planetary data into each one of your GPS units. Use this data wisely. We have determined that it is mid-autumn right now in the Northern Hemisphere, where I have planned to take you. Do not take off your suits, no matter how encumbering they may be. You cannot breathe this atmosphere, remember that."

Felicie motioned for those who were sitting to stand up, and pointed once again to the door.

"Now you must prepare for your journey. We shall gradually transfer to lower and lower orbits - we do not have much of a thermal shield for any rough re-entry. This will take about 5 or 6 hours, in which you have to prepare yourself."

The planet began moving in the viewport, slowly towards the edge. It began picking up pace, until it winked out of the edge of the viewport.

"Good luck, and godspeed to you all..."
Last edited by Normandy on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:24 am, edited 17 times in total.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Adi smirked at memories of parachuting, then stood up and headed to his locker, where he collected the items he had prearranged to have: His PDW, his knife, and his headset. Digging through the locker's contents a bit, he founds his climbing gear, which he inspected and laid aside, and after that he reached a sturdy pack, which he proceeded to fill with 3 days worth of rations, the climbing gear, and a small tent. The remaining space he filled with 9-10 magazines of ammunition and medical gear.

He pulled another magazine out of the locker and slid it lovingly into the MP33. He cocked the gun reverently, and placed it in a holster at his side. He proceeded to grab, and thoroughly check, his parachute, which he donned unceremoniously.

He then silently walked over to a chair near the pod doors, and began to entertain himself by playing around with his knife; how close could he get the blade to his finger without cutting it?
JaffaJoke91
Captain
Captain

Post by JaffaJoke91 »

Joseph Opened a locker and extracted some equipment including climbing gear, a tent, a knife, and a handgun. looking around, Joseph inspected the gun. the last time he had held a gun was hunting with his father near their home when he was a kid. Joseph located the safety and ejected a magazine. it all looked like it worked, but there was no knowing until he had to use it. Joseph looked over and noticed a man standing a little way off, however e decided to mind his own business. Joseph Withdrew some rations and sat down to rest.
Need... More... COOKIES!
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Ken was still feeling a little tingly, but he found his locker and withdrew his belt and gun. Then he found the closet and puled out a parachute pack, which he strapped on over his close-fitting fiber suit. He pulled out his multi-tool and snapped up the six-inch blade, tested it on a spare piece of cloth, and put it back. Then he placed a few day's rations and gear in his pack and sat down by the window.

A man in the corner was playing idly with a knife. The lenses in Ken's eyes had noticed it too, and drew a red box around the man, with some text from his profile. The gun in his belt . . . red box . . . MP-33, loaded. Somebody apparently liked weapons. Ken wasn't much of a weapons guy himself, except for his multi-tool for hunting.

Ken's multi-tool also had a photon blade on it, which he tested to see how much power was left. About 75%. Then he realized something . . . no oxygen means no fire. No fire means . . . what does it mean? It means no cooking without electricity or methane reactives, certainly. He would have to locate an alternative.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

Órfhlaith was still feeling little groggy, but she walked over to the locker where she had stashed her things before she went into cold sleep. She briefly checked to make sure the C-4 and she had hidden in a hollowed-out Bible was still there. Órfhlaith then walked over to the closet and pulled out a parachute pack, a pistol and ammo, and several ration packs. She opened up the parachute pack to make sure there was nothing obviously wrong with it, repacked it, and strapped it on.

She looked around to see what the others were doing, one of them was sitting and playing with knife looking like an amadán, one was sleeping, and the other one was fiddling around with his multi-tool.

"Not exactly a promising bunch"
thought Órfhlaith, "Most of them propably won't make it out of the landing zone."
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

Parachuting down was hard for Eric. He did prefer to stay on the ground, after all. He checked his weather unit, and went to his appropriate equipment locker. He took out his Swiss army knife, and checked that it was all still intact. He finally looked up and said "What is our first plan? The first problem I see is the lack of oxygen, and we need to know how much we have. The cloud cover is hopefully not too much for the transmitter. I'll turn it on now." The camera in his left eye blinked to life. This is where the fun begins he thought.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Adi sighed; he could no longer play with his knife. He walked over to the crumpled heap on the ground that was Eric. He dragged the body over to a bench, pulled off the broken environmental helmet, and began to stop the blood flowing from Eric's head.

"Dummkopf. That's a window," he muttered.

He finished the bandage, and went back to playing with the knife.
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

Eric was holding his breath when the helmet came off. he put it back on, and a hiss announced the return of oxygen to his head. He breathed in deeply, before asking what had happened.

(OOC: Did that actually happen? Seriously, what the heck!?)

ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

*Whamp*

Ken was reading a (probably few hundred year old) book, and barely noticed the sound. A few moments later, he realized "whamp" is not a regulation ship noise, and looked up. Some guy was lying on the floor with blood (highlighted a flaming red by his lenses) on his face plate . . . um, yeah. The guy with the personal military around his waist was walking over to help him with a length of cloth.

Ken gave a somewhat blank stare. "Cryo does funny things to people."

And then he returned to his book.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

The equipment lockers are on the ship, you dumbass. By trying to parachute down, you ran headfirst into the window, cracked your skull, and fell to the ground. How the hell did you think the equipment lockers were on the ground? :lol:.

Oh god, the hilariousness begins. Normandy, I think you may run out of ideas to kill people off with :lol:.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Re: The Sigma Project [IC]

Post by Skull13 »

Down there you will find two things - the equipment lockers....

I took that to mean the lockers were shot down to the surface. I stopped reading at that point, as my sister (who was hovering over my shoulder) wanted me to do something else. sorry.

Can we pretend that never happened? Please?

ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Hell no.
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Alex stared into his locker trying to decide what to bring. "Hmmmm," he thought, "well, let's start with the obvious. I'm gonna need a parachute, and some food. Oh, and I suppose I should bring my computer, that way I can still interface with the probes from a distance. Now, let's see, what's next.... Oh, the probes! Yes, I think some seismic monitors would be good, and maybe a weather station. Hmmmm.... Now, what tools should I pack? Let's see, I'll need my trusty multitool, of course," with this Alex unconsiously stroked his 28-extension antique Leatherman, which was stil surprisingly useful. "Since this is the wilderness, I might want a bigger knife.... Ummm, 6 inches oughta do. Maybe a gun, and some ammunition, shall we say, oh, something along the lines of a .38 Magnum? No, too inaccurate, maybe I'll just get something from the communal stores. Anyway, I should bring diagnostic tools for the probes, and maybe a soldering iron. Now, one roll of .010 solder should be enough, maybe I'll bring some .020 for structural purposes. Ooh, I should bring some solar monitors as well, and maybe a flashlight. Ummmmm..... What am I forgetting... Oh yes, food and shelter." With that, Alex stopped packing his tools, grabbed his backpack, and walked over to the closet, where he proceded to gather a medical kit, a collapsable tent, thermal blankets, water purifacation tablets, 6 days worth of rations, and various pieces of miscelaneous equipment. After all that was done, he carried everything over to a corner of the waiting area and went back to the closet for a parachute, making sure to choose the largest one because of all the extra weight he was bringing down. Once that was done, Alex proceded to thoroughly check all of his equipment, making sure he had packed enough power supplies. Once he was certain all was in order, he then secured everything, making sure that it would not get lost on the way down. "Ya know, it's really a shame that my first jump has to be with all this stuff. After all, two two Pelican cases, a backpack, and a laptop are bound to throw me off a bit. Well, I guess I'll have to be extra careful on the way down, and try not to land too hard." With this thought he pulled a pad of paper and a mechanical pencil out of his pocket and started to wait, spending his time drawing fractals, after looking curiously at the guy with the bandage on his head.
Last edited by Swamp Fox on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

/me is still feeling like a moron.......

I just wasn't paying attention when I read!

/me hits his head on his desk several times....

Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

~Snip~
Loldon'tpostat4am.
Last edited by Empty on Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.