Dual Duel Tourney: Middleweight Results topic

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Dual Duel Tourney: Middleweight Results topic

Post by HalfThere »

The Middleweight fighting has begun!

Cruiser and Nothingness Vs. Crash and Burn

The first match was Question Mark's Cruiser and Nothingness (A pairing of a large cruiser and a blank ship) versus the slow but steady duo of cruisers, Crash and Burn!

Round 1
The nothingness is quickly dispatched, putting the crash in the Cruiser's path (the Burn was still catching up). The Crash weathered the fire well, for a while, but was unable to inflict much damage in return. The Burn managed to flank the cruiser, dealing notable but not crippling damage. As soon as the Crash was dispatched, the cruiser turned its withering fire on the Burn, de-toothing it with lancets before crushing it with powerful blasters.

Round 2
Pretty much the same, but this time in streaming video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwt9jaeT1z0
Note: The video starts after the match has started, but all that's happened was the destruction of the nothingness.

Winner: Cruiser (and nothingnes)!
[url]http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2546[url]
The Dual Duel tournament!
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

Video is a good illustration of how massive deflector whoring and focussing all points on one ship can cause massive imbalance.

Again, my own ship design definitely came into account.
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

Empty wrote:Video is a good illustration of how massive deflector whoring and focussing all points on one ship can cause massive imbalance.
That sounds like sour grapes to me. The other person used the tournament rules in a creative and intelligent way and you could have done the same if you had thought about it. Treat it as a lesson and learn from it for your next tournament rather than whining about it.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Why do people like mega beams so much? :roll:

They aren't that good.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HalfThere »

I'm not sure I agree with you totally empty. Let's compare a 2-ship team and a 1 ship team.

1 ship is better at:
-movement, which has consolidated spending as opposed to redundant points.
-endurance, because usually a 1 ship will have less than 2 ships worth of weaponry and spend less on movement total, and so focus on defense

2 ships are better at:
-tactical positioning, meaning that they can flank or get behind the 1 ship more easily because one can act as a tank while the other shoots from behind.
-offense, because usually both 2 ships combined will have a greater punch (especially factoring in position) than the 1 ship.
-targeting, because a 1 ship can conceivably get distracted and therefore be useless against 2 ships, constantly switching targets between them.

Of course, if we get around to heavies, the weighting of these advantages and disadvantages will change.

@ASM: because they're mega
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

antisocialmunky wrote:Why do people like mega beams so much? :roll:

They aren't that good.
They're pretty middle-of-the-road. Their DPS isn't bad for a beam weapon, but their damage is spread out over time by far too much, so they're pretty ineffective against a target with Deflectors.
HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HalfThere »

Tie-breaker rules were changed, because I was sick of the ineffectiveness of the old tie-breaking rules at actually breaking ties (it was very possible to go through a dozen iterations without resolving the problem).

Ixranin Vs ASM

Round 1
At first I thought Ixranin was crazy for making the legacy so slow, and in 2 v 2 combat it was indeed somewhat ineffective. The legacy was destroyed without being able to dispatch or even do in one section of either lady bug. The Randora, however, could not be caught (nor could it do any effective damage with its defense platforms), and so just circled around and around with the two ladybugs. The old tie-breaker didn't work, leaving 2 randoras and 4 ladybugs circling, and so I just got annoyed and did a massive tie-breaker (which has a video).
You can see the first round here:
[The first round cannot be found here because for some reason it couldn't be uploaded].
In the tie-breaker however, the quad blasters and dieterling worked in perfect concert to extend survivability and substitute for mobility.
And its tie-breaker here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phrjp7MRegw

The Randora's ability to attract the attention of both ladybugs stretched the match out before they started circling eachother, but didn't do anything else. In the tie-breaker, however, the unwise targeting of the ladybugs was very important in securing Ixranin's victory.

Round 2
The second round progressed the same way, except the tie-breaker was half the size, as 16 v 16 was excessive and burdensome to the processor.

Winner: Ixranin's Randora and Legacy.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Screw you, that ship wasn't built for anymore than a 2vs2. The way you do your tie breaker makes it biased against fast and lightly armored ships. It also magnifies the ability of crazy dieterling/quad blaster omni ships since they don't have ot turn.

Whatever.

Also, your video got removed for some reason.(not me)
HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HalfThere »

I know ASM, it wasn't that fair to your ship, and I'm sorry. However, if you weren't prepared for a tie-breaker then you should have given them more range or made one normal AI or something that could end the match! The old tie-breaker rules would never have ended the match, in all likelihood.

Also, if I make it so that the team that does more damage wins, then light ships have a big advantage.

Hopefully, ASM, it won't come down to tie-breakers in any other matches.

I also entered my own pair of crazy ships. The Raging Bull (a suicide boat) and Sugar Ray (A giant missile/Demeter station). Thus far they have fought only ASM, the Raging Bull completely destroying one Ladybug, leaving the other to face off alone against the sugar ray. Unfortunately, the Sugar Ray's offensive systems were easily struck down by that Ladybug's PD, while its own defenses were destroyed under the beam onslaught.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Whatever, what happened to the video?
HalfThere
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HalfThere »

The tie-breaker should be fine. I think the other one got deleted because it was 11 minutes and 5 seconds long and their max is 10, and they allow things up to 10:59, or some crap like that.

I'll see if I can get it up.