Battlestars Forever - Galactica, Pegasus, Basestar, Fighters

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Battlestars Forever - Galactica, Pegasus, Basestar, Fighters

Post by antisocialmunky »

Last edited by antisocialmunky on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:42 am, edited 12 times in total.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Venator
Captain
Captain

Post by Venator »

Well, you've got the shape pretty well down, which is all one needs for a mockup.

Interested to see the final...

Also, how did you make a 6-pixel ship?!
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2921][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/AESig.png[/img][/url]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Shrunk the civilian core.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Well theres a few spots I think are misproportioned...but that said you got a number of details right which I missed.

The scaling betwen the fighter and battlestar is important and it seems you got it right, but I would think you could make the battle/basestars much larger since they really just sit in their corners. Then you could enjoy the fighter action. Even at 2x what it is now, the fighters would become much more usable.

Can't wait to see this with further details! You should also try the Tiger class Destroyer.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Well I wanted to focus on both ship to ship and fighter to fighter. The tiny fighters actually work quite well and with four sections, you can run alot.

I just played 30vs30 with barely any lag. Now throw 2 basestars and a battlestar pounding away at each other and yeah. :D

I still don't know how to balance that since basestars a pretty much just carriers that lob missiles and don't have any PD or anything.

Edit:

Here's one that's slightly bigger, 40 Vipers vs 50 Raiders:

http://files.filefront.com/BSGStressTes ... einfo.html

I figure I can just use the wave function to throw more ships into the fray in groups of 20 or 30. Since Mk2's and Raiders are 2 sections each and the Mk7's are 4 sections, it doesn't cause too much graphics lag.

Also, if you have any critiques, then go right ahead while I'm still in mockup stage. Save me some grief later on...

Here's the reference I'm working off of:
http://www.shipschematics.net/bsg/image ... actica.jpg

Yes I realize the engine nozzles aren't right.
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

I've seen quite a few Galacticas pass through here, but it looks like you've put the most thought into the project. Looking good so far :D

I really like the weakpoint idea... could be interesting to see whether the ai can actually hit the weak points, or whether they just shoot blindly at the core.

Balance wise if the baseship and battlestar hps are similar then the basestar's gonna have to have MUCH higher damage, since it's missiles will get shot down (obviously...). Also bear in mind that during battlestar vs battlestar matches it would be wrong if their pd could shoot down the cannon rounds (i think), and in baseship vs baseship matches it could get pretty nasty if all missiles will hit, lol
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

I think the next stage would be to slowly start replacing whole sections with smaller pieces, increase the 'resolution' if you will.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Wicky_42 wrote:I've seen quite a few Galacticas pass through here, but it looks like you've put the most thought into the project. Looking good so far :D

I really like the weakpoint idea... could be interesting to see whether the ai can actually hit the weak points, or whether they just shoot blindly at the core.

Balance wise if the baseship and battlestar hps are similar then the basestar's gonna have to have MUCH higher damage, since it's missiles will get shot down (obviously...). Also bear in mind that during battlestar vs battlestar matches it would be wrong if their pd could shoot down the cannon rounds (i think), and in baseship vs baseship matches it could get pretty nasty if all missiles will hit, lol
Well, thanks!

Following the show balance, it usually takes 2 basestars to do a number on a battlestar. The Cylons usually rely on overwhelming long range attack with their massive fighterwings(120+compared to around 80) and long range missiles.

The basestars also seem to be fairly weak since Pegasus blows one to hell with a few shots in the right spot. I think I'll make the basestars rely on massive long range missile bombardment with the battlestars relying on medium high speed AP rounds after an opening salvo of nukes.

Since the battlestars have most of their PD on the sides, I was thinking about making weak PD mounts so the basestars could eventually break through the flak wall.

As for the weak spots, right now I'm trying to look for suitable weapons with good AOE to be nukes.

@Squishy - yeah, pretty much... I'm still wondering about the ribbing whether or not there's a better way... I just don't want to have several hundred sections because of that.
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

For weapons, I tried to achieve an effect just like that from BSG on my St Helier Battleship. I pulled it off by using loads of shrunken blasters, particle guns, flak and missiles all coloured yellowy-grey. I set each weapon to a different clip size and reload, so that they fire randomly rather than in sequence. The effect looks really cool IMO, you should use it.

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Thanks, that's a great idea. I think that the flak should volley fire though. I forget what episode it was, but it had Galactica making neat little squares of explosions.

Anyone care for that encounter I posted?
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

A small update, Galactica Day 2:

*SEE ABOVE*

I'm not exactly sure how to construct a solid flat surface using the parts. I am also still not sure about what I'm going to do with the ribbing. This is alright but not that great.

150 parts and counting.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Here's a nother WIP picture. I do need some advice. I'm wondering about a good way to do the blue areas. Right now they are kinda just blocked out temporarily. It would be nice to reduce the amount of sections since galactica has fairly smooth armor sections. I think I'll redo the ribbing with 2x the number of sections over large sections so it looks morel ike ribbing.

Anyways, tell me what you think:

PS. If anyone knows good colors for ingame for the metalic blue and grey, I'm all ears. Help on removing the glow effects would be appreciated too.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Just set theglow to something near black. That'll make it largely invisible.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

That's the ingame options menu right? You still get that annoying orangy glow though.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Curious. It works perfectly for me. Maybe you need to shut the game down first, then restart for the changes to kick in.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush