The Pathar Fleet

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Elvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Pathar Fleet

Post by Elvin »

After over a century of exploration and colonisation of space, humans were spread across 63% of the known galaxy, with 1,345 star systems known to be colonised by mankind. Every solar system had it's own rulers, with some even going back to having a monarchical ruling system, as it was nearly impossible to have one central government, due to the hours it took for a simple message to pass from one system to the next, let alone across a few hundred.

However, this was to change when a particularly brilliant scientist worked out a way of forcing communication waves to go at speeds of up to 100 times the speed of light, which cuts down message delay from hours to mere minutes, sometimes seconds if the conditions were right. With this new technology, central governments were not only possible, but desired. The race was on to sign up solar systems to form powerful coalitions.

Three powers came out of this: the Pathar, containing such noted systems as Terra and Alpha Centuri, the Coman, who held vast swathes of the outer stellar systems, and the Hornar, who held far less area, but many systems rich in key minerals.

Some systems decided to not join one of the three coalitions, and stayed as independent governments. Many of these systems became home to pirates and looters, who terrorised nearby trade lanes.

As there were now unified governments, it was decided that a unified fleet was needed, to replace the individually made ships produced for self defence by most of the colonies. And so began the construction of the Pathar's fleet.

An early fighter design, which never made it further than prototypes, after it's frontal profile proved too vulnerable.

The run of the mill fighter, featuring Gatling Repeaters and weapons nicknamed "bendy bullets" by the test pilots.

This ship serves as a scout/patrol ship, usually used in the less important sectors for border watch. Features three "Spitters", which spray out about thirty micro-rockets per second.

A corvette-class ship, utilising Spitters, along with two heavy duty "Puncher" cannons. Designed to put out lots of fire for very little space in a battle.

Very much a concept ship, which is still in the prototype stages. It has a rotating "Puncher" cannon, with two "Lightning" Projectile guns.

The Bomber of the fleet, designed to use fast speed and turning to flank the enemy. It has low armour, but still has fairly good survivability.

A very light ship, used to provide "Green Goo" bombs to the field, and to provide some PD for the flanks of the larger ships.

A heavier ship, designed to bring fire power to the field, at the expense of survivability and speed.

The standard Frigate in the fleet, packing quite a punch, comprises the ship of the ine of this new fleet. ( P.S. I know about the layering error)

Another concept ship, more of a success in form rather than function, still packs a heavy punch, and would be at home in the frontlines of a firefight.

The heaviest ship in the Pathar navy to date, this ship boasts a narrow forward profile and faster-firing weaponry than the smaller ships of the fleet.

All comments and criticism welcome. I know the colour scheme ain't great, but i'm no artist, and my ships are generally made for their silhouette rather than overall appearance.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Looks decent for a first fleet. A quick word of advice; if you want crisper looking screenies (especially for the red sections), .png files fuzz things up less.
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
Ai_512
Commander
Commander

Post by Ai_512 »

Hmm...

I can't seem to see the pictures, what imagehost are you using? :?
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/NerdofChaos/Ai541.png[/img]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61047#61047]Ai's Ships 'n Fleets[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2664]My New Fleet[/url]
darkkai64
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by darkkai64 »

he appears to be using photobucket
Ai_512
Commander
Commander

Post by Ai_512 »

It should be working, then.
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/NerdofChaos/Ai541.png[/img]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61047#61047]Ai's Ships 'n Fleets[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2664]My New Fleet[/url]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I really don't know how you guys can bash some ships and find nothing wrong with others...
First, I'm assuming this isnt your first fleet but congratulations if it somehow is. Theres a few things I suggest you fix which would drasitcally improve your ships visually.
1)Do not clutter. don't throw a bunch of sections in to fill in gaps. If your going to at least try to give them some kind of flow, make them fit together even if they overlap.
2)Try not to have random edges sticking out. Spikes, antenna, solar arrays, or weapons are all fine. Random sections sticking out at odd angles not so much.
3)Pick your weapon placement. You aren't exactly spamming weapons so good job on that, but there also appears to be only minor thought to where you placed them. Make turrets, space them out, put them over sections which complement them. The quad blasters for instance, look alot better on section 14s if theres four of them forming a circle/dome for the quad.
4)Avoid alien sections unless your good at it. I like the spikey alien sections, and in a few ships you used them quite nicely. However these just look stuck on in most places... made worse by the hodgepodge arrangement of the other sections.

That said, you created an impressive number of ships to look at. Theres even some design potential here but take pride in your work and try to make them look good. Even if your going for an alternative alien or industrial look, they can still be made appealing.

Color scheme isn't bad, not that i like the colors but you picked three and stuck to using them in varying areas of the ships. Also try using shift+arrow keys to do fine adjustments to section placement. I look forward to more designs from you.
Elvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Elvin »

Yeah, this is actually my third fleet.

1) Weirdly enough, I put pieces together that seem to fit, but then realise that I've gone and buried several other pieces, making them useless except for ablative.

2) Yeah, I wanted some kind of theme, so I decided on the spiky pieces on the sides.

3+4) Okay, i'll bear that in mind.

And thanks for the feedback :D