Newbie -The Nomad scavenger fleet (minor update 16Jul08)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Mooseriver
Ensign
Ensign

Newbie -The Nomad scavenger fleet (minor update 16Jul08)

Post by Mooseriver »

Just downloaded the game a week ago. Let me know what you think of
my fleet. I used sea critters for the concepts. The files below are the Kraken which seems the best received so far.

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... Kraken.shp

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... Kraken.zip

Backstory-
Luck never was on our side. The Yutani had been passing through
our space since before we had access to space travel. They never
bothered to communicate with us and we had left them alone.

The SSG Krakis was on patrol in the outer layers when it ran into one
of their damn little ships dashing through as usual. They were
annihilated 20 minutes after the incident so we will never know why it
happened but we do know that the Yutani craft was fired upon by the
Krakis. The Krakis was headed back to PC-104 when their damn fleet
folded in. Long range telemetry showed that the Krakis lasted exactly
11 seconds.

They took the outer layers quickly and fully 600 ships were lost in the
first 3 days. The colonies fared no better. Three billion citizens died
along with our fleet. It took them four more days to come within range
of the Homeworld.

We held no illusions about our chances. The ships that had tried to
escape hadn't even made it past PC-002 before being eaten by that
damn blue tide. Out last move of that war was purely out of defiance.
Ninety percent of the fleet was gone and they were readying that damn
wake cannon they had used to destroy so many of our worlds.

It's strange how things work out. Our picture is incomplete as most of
our recon sats had been destroyed but some on the edges of it all
managed to get some long range data. It seems that when they fired
the cannon one of our fighters was caught on the edge of the beam and
lost control. He impacted the low side of the focusing assembly causing
the beam to backfire. The implosion and singularity that followed
destroyed what was left of our world and almost their entire fleet.

Seventeen billion of us died that day. There are fewer than ten
thousand of us left. We used the remains of their fleet and ours to
create our new home and set out beyond the outer layers. We suspect
they will come looking for their lost fleet eventually. We can only hope
they don't find us.

Luck never was on our side.

The Toad fish class gunships were some of the few of our ships to survive the attack. They use the tried and true RAM 216 rocket pods. Their armor never was very good but their agility is excellent.

The Thuds are our first experiment with using their technology on our ships. We took the more damaged Toad fish hulls and fitted the Torpedo launchers that survived the blast from their ships. They fire a slow moving but incredibly powerful round that will destroy anything it hits no matter how well shielded. The launcher takes so much power to run that the Thuds aren't much for speed anymore.

The Warp spiders are strange ships. They used the Yutani's space folding technology to jump through space and use their version of blasters. They aren't much for armor but they are fast and powerful.

The Sliders as we call them are a medium and long range gun ship. They use powerful and fast beam weapons as close range and can fire massive artillery waves at long range.

The Fiddler is a strange ship. They are heavily armored and can fold space. They use long range scatter guns to provide screening fire at a distance.

The Mantis ships seem to share the hulls from the Fiddlers but have massive cooling veins at the rear of the craft. They use a more powerful version of the Slider's beam weapons that make short work of anything in front of them.

The Jackhammers were our best try at using the damaged weapons we found. The consist of little more than two giant guns and a cockpit. They tend to blow up randomly but they are better than nothing.

The Nautalis was a Yutani ship once. The explosion destroyed the entire outer hull. We got their shield running again and bolted as many flak weapons on it as it would hold. These days it serves as our repair and supply barge.

The Pan Head is an old hull design we had to roll out during the war. They were used for sieges, combining heavy forward shielding and weapons. Their aft protection is horrible though.

The Shovel Head was the newer but no less venerable series of ships based on the Pan Heads hull. They replace the bombardment weapons will heavy beams forward and blasters to the flanks.

The Man Of War Carriers were some of our newer ships at the time of the attack and they did fairly well. A full 4 of them survived. They have little in the way of offensive weapons but their drones are devastating and they have excellent shielding.

The Hammer Head is a heavy missile destroyer that survived. The incredible forward shielding makes this one of the toughest ships in the fleet.

The Manta was on the other side of the system when the Yutani attacked. It was to late to do anything by the time it arrived. It was our most powerful battleship at the time of the war and is only beaten by the Kraken and the Deep Blue for fire power. The rear armor is rather weak but there is so much firepower on the front and sides that they are unlikely to ever get to the aft of the ship.

The Kraken was the only Yutani battleship that survived intact. When we finally burned our way into the hull we found it eerily deserted but undamaged. Most of the hull is taken up with the Wake Cannon, the planet destroying monstrosities we came to fear so much. From what our scientists can figure out, it seems to open a portal into a sun and channels the plasma cascade down the channeling array. Nothing survives. It has 4 of the torpedo launchers that are on the Thud and can level entire fleets on its own.

The Deep Blue is our home now. One of the Krakens was nearly destroyed but its Wake Cannon was intact. Using the remains of our and their fleets we built a homeworld ship around it and put all the weapons and shields we could find on it. It will have to do.

Last edited by Mooseriver on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gkug
Commander
Commander

Post by Gkug »

Nice backstory and good ships.
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

Effing awesome, way better story than the standard
"We're the imperials who take over the place and there's aliens"

Instead, we're past that.

Also, I'm very pleased someone has actually seen assymettrical ships for their design properties, bravo!

EDIT: I think it's pretty lucky they managed to backfire the ubarkill-laz0rbewmer and destroy the enemy fleet :P
AutoHummer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AutoHummer »

Backstory:Mmmmmmm.... Homeworldish.... Time to voyage to hiigar....... I mean... your new home...

Be sure to get some salvage corvettes to capture some of those taiidan.....errrr....Yutani ships.

Ships:The Yutani ships looks organic and dangerous.(they are based on 'sea critters' after all!)

The Deep Blue really looks like a ship used by a nomadic scavenger race.

The Nautalis' back shields looks too excessive,though.

(maybe InterTech can sell some ships to your people?)
Last edited by AutoHummer on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mooseriver
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mooseriver »

AutoHummer wrote:Backstory:Mmmmmmm.... Homeworldish.... Time to voyage to hiigar....... I mean... your new home...

Be sure to get some salvage corvettes to capture some of those taiidan.....errrr....Yutani ships.

Ships:The Yutani ships looks organic and dangerous.(they are based on 'sea critters' after all!)

The Deep Blue really looks like a ship used by a nomadic scavenger race.

The Nautalis' back shields looks too excessive,though.

(maybe InterTech can sell some ships to your people?)
Well if it makes you feel better I didn't intentionally copy homeworld but its hard be be unique in the whole "We barely survived a massive alien attack that killed our home world and now we stole their ships and are venturing forth" plot line.

The nautalis is better shielded than it should be but it has no range. I'll tell you a secret though. That space between the rear shields allows you to shoot the core so V :? V
AutoHummer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AutoHummer »

Well it may be just myself.
Otherwise,the Yutani ships looks better than mine!
I am not feeling bad,I am just a Homeworld fan and can see even unrelated stuff into homeworld related.
BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF
Commander
Commander

Post by BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF »

Nicely made ships. Asymmetry is definitely a nice feature. It makes your ships standout. I can't see any thing particularly wrong with the ships, but it would be nice if you could replace the thumbnails with full sized images.
Improving quality of life since 1955.
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

I like these ships, well designed and definitely unique. I think that the asymmetry in the overall construction accentuates these features and makes them stand apart from some of the other symmetrical vessels. :D

In all nice work!

i would like you see a massive ship tho. :idea:
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
Elvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Elvin »

Yeah, I really like those asymmetrical ships, they add a lot of variety to an otherwise symmetrical world :D

And great story, I never played the homeworld series so it seems original to me
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Re: Newbie -The Nomad scavenger fleet

Post by DoubleThink »

Mooseriver wrote:Seventeen billion of us died that day.
WHOA. Someone's been busy. Seventeen billion?

Anyway, your first few ships are basic, but not flawed. Sliders and Fiddlers are a bit odd, and you rely too much on that angled wingish section. The hook. I don't remember the number. Also, your reliance on pylons is disturbing. Everything after the Slider up to the Kraken is a bit iffy. I don't know whether they're good or not.

Your bigger ships, the Kraken and the Deep Blue are a bit poorly built in a few parts, but are totally awesome for the originality involved. The assymetry is almost perfectly executed.
Mooseriver
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mooseriver »

Well I uploaded the Kraken to the ship database since it seems to be the most popular. It is an uber ship in every sense of the word so don't be surprised if its a bit to powerful. Please let me know of anything I could do to improve it. I tried to clean up some of the lines and tried out some new weapon setups. I especially like the impact affect of the two wave guns on the front gun batteries.

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... Kraken.shp

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... Kraken.zip