Just a simple question...

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Salvofire
Commander
Commander

Just a simple question...

Post by Salvofire »

I have been wrestling with probably THE big question of the human mind. Whether or not a god or benevolent being of some sort exists, and if my presupposed Christianity was correct.

Now first thing is first, I am in no way shape or form starting a flame war. I need none of your opinions on the matter. I simply need information and a place for which to discuss the matter.

Obviously such things are not allowed on these boards, and I understand why. I'm looking for some place this is allowed, perhaps even encouraged, and simple easy to read logical conclusions on the matter. I'm tired of reading through endless essays and hard to understand, one sided debates.

Mods, if this starts anything I'm sorry for that, but a flame war is not one of my intentions. So please, post information and forum links if allowed, and don't entrap me in an endless argument.

Sincerely, Salvo.
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Let's see. I'll give you a general guide for how to go about searching, via book or internet or whatever:

Gather as much information as you can. Get all the details on evolution, history of the universe, etc., read Darwin's books, read some Stephen Hawking (I thoroughly recommend A Brief History of Time and A Briefer History of Time, he constantly toys with both ideas and gives a fairly balanced view). Now go and find the other side of the argument, and compare them. Specifically, find people who use the same evidence in a different way to argue the opposite conclusion. Be mindful of vague language and false assumptions on both sides. Try to ignore authors that refuse to give ground to the other side or ruthlessly attack other ideas - they are largely biased and caught up in their own convictions (especially on forums. Be prudent about believing things people say on the internet).

Now go to religion. I see you are Christian already, so try to find people that know their Bible like the back of their hand and can give specific evidence from both science and religion for their ideas. Talk to the Jehovah's Witnesses when they come to your door, they tend to use scientific data to support their beliefs. Then look at other religions, such as Islam and Buddhism. Compare them, ask what's contradictory about each, and see what data they use to support their ideas.

Most importantly, don't come in with any preconceived notions, and don't try to evaluate an idea until you understand all the information its based on. Then, evaluate the data and consider all the implications of each side of the argument, and make your own decision. Don't choose the answer that you want or that you would prefer, choose the one that makes the most sense.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Imminent shitstorm as certain forumers try to resist showing their immense hatred for religion
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Ohhh fuck. Oh fuck. Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck.

I don't know if you'll believe this, but I swear to all I know, and to anything I've ever done on these forums, that wasn't me. My fucking asshole brother got ahold of my computer while he was pissed at me and this, WC3, and my AIM was up. He fucked with all three of them, flaming at my friends and apparently doing the same thing here.

Please, if you'll believe me, that wasn't me. You should know by know that I wouldn't do that =/.
Arcalane wrote:Because if not, you're a fucking moron and I'm not sure whether to laugh at your stupidity or just facepalm and slowly shake my head.
I hope you're that you wouldn't have thought I would have done something like this. If you are, then thank you.[/quote]
Last edited by Himura.Kenshin on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

AAARG!!! NOOO! NOT THE IRONY!!! AAARG ITS IN MY EYES!!!

Seriously, Kenshin, I hope you were trying to be sarcastic, because THAT has to be one of the most flamewar-inducing posts I've ever seen. Not only do you respond negatively to what was clearly an attempt at comic relief, you expressly attempt to turn the topic into a flamewar. Way to go.
you've said that they are ignorant flamers who didn't know jackshit about the debate but argue for the sake of arguing
*cough* A large portion of the population fits that description, now that you mention it.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Please... please in the name of all that is holy, unholy and everything inbetween, tell me that was sarcasm, H.K.

Because if not, you're a fucking moron and I'm not sure whether to laugh at your stupidity or just facepalm and slowly shake my head.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

/me is surprised it hasn't degenerated into a youtube level discussion yet.

You shouldn't use a public forum for these sort of discussions, it turns into a vortex of pain and fail really quick.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Ukomalkaizio
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ukomalkaizio »

Existence of religion?

Just give up.
If you do, you do; if you don't, you don't.
Simple, painless, effective.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Himura.Kenshin wrote:Ohhh fuck. Oh fuck. Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck.

I don't know if you'll believe this, but I swear to all I know, and to anything I've ever done on these forums, that wasn't me. My fucking asshole brother got ahold of my computer while he was pissed at me and this, WC3, and my AIM was up. He fucked with all three of them, flaming at my friends and apparently doing the same thing here.

Please, if you'll believe me, that wasn't me. You should know by know that I wouldn't do that =/.
Arcalane wrote:Because if not, you're a fucking moron and I'm not sure whether to laugh at your stupidity or just facepalm and slowly shake my head.
I hope you're that you wouldn't have thought I would have done something like this. If you are, then thank you.
Time to go fix my WC3 and AIM shit that he got me into >.<.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Now THAT is what I call a flamewar inducing post, Muug. You're singling out the atheists as the shit throwers, and implying that religious people can't start flame wars. And "immense hatred?" Just the way that you worded that sentence, you've said that they are ignorant flamers who didn't know jackshit about the debate but argue for the sake of arguing.

So already, you've revved them up to want to show their disposition towards religion.

Now, I don't give a shit either way. Forgive me for calling you out, but I do not believe that that post should have went unanswered. And this is the only post that I am making in this thread. Period. As in, flamewar avoiding.
You cannot hide your shame!
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ