Fireborn's 2nd Tournament: Resolved at Last

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Alright... I won't be able to update the battleship gallery untill Arcalane either drops out or sends in another version of his ship, but for now I can run 7 more fights... I will do so tomorrow...
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Sweet, at least its progress. Arc will fix his up, or come up with a even better design I'm sure. Updating the pic isn't all that important at this stage, gettin the battles over however and there results posted is. I did really enjoy how ya ran the battles thus far, and posted. So I will be happy just seeing some more posts and pics of the battles you have ran thus far. Your doing well to with the commentary. Keep it up, and post some more pics of the battles you have run, with non device ships. That will keep us busy and give us some eye candy at least lol.
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Well, turns out I still can't run any more fights... as both the Dracos II and the Uranium are illegal... The Dracos carries 4 lancet beams, whereas the maximum for any one ship is only 2... and the Uranium is 12 points over...

Uranium:

Sections and engines:

0.50 speed: 10 points

0.50 turning: 20 points

0.02 accel: 4 points

20 sections: 10 points

6 points spent on section HP increases:

50 points on sections and engines

Weapons and modules:

10 beamers: 30 points

4 point beams: 16 points

5 deflectors: 10 points

1 gravitic impeder: 2 points

4 flak guns: 4 points

62 points on weapons and modules:

Total: 112 points

*Sigh* give us a fair suck of the sav and actually read the rules, people! Carefully, read the rules!

http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=437

It would seem to me that there was one major thing that caught a lot of you out and caused you to mistakenly build ships that were worth more than 100 points...

You for some reason assumed that, like battleship speed, battleship turning waone point per 0.05... it's not, it's two points per 0.05!!!

Xeres also mistakenly counted 0.02 accel as being worth two points rather than the correct four...

EDIT: Turns out I've also made this mistake... specificaly when calculating the points worth of Himura.Kenshin's A. Longbow, which is in fact worth the full 100 points (I had mistakenly counted its 0.50 turning as being worth only 10 points and not the correct 20).
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
Xerxes-17
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Xerxes-17 »

Oh dear that is embarrassing :oops:

Revised ship: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... anium2.shp

Uranium:

Sections and engines:

0.10 speed: 2 points

0..45 turning: 18 points

0.01 accel: 2 points

20 sections: 10 points

6 points spent on section HP increases:

38 points on sections and engines

Weapons and modules:

10 beamers: 30 points

4 point beams: 16 points

5 deflectors: 10 points

1 gravitic impeder: 2 points

4 flak guns: 4 points

62 points on weapons and modules:

Total: 100 points
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/img]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

I sent a legit copy, sorry I overlooked the lancet cap.

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Ok, after plenty of farcking around, here are some more battleship fights...

Battle results for Feburary 2nd:

Chernobog vs Uranium:

Round 1:

The slow speed of the Uranium meant it wasn't able to advance far out of the proverbial starting gate before the significantly faster Chernobog came within weapons range. Once close, the two ships basically pounded the Hell out of each other's deflectors, doing no significant damage whatsoever...

...for the longest time. Now, on first glance, it appeared that the ships were in a deadlock. Any damage that got through and knocked either the Chernobog or Uranium's armour section(s) down to 50% or less HPs would only be repaired once the ship raised its deflector screens again. The Uranium was easily able to shoot down the Chernobog's tachyon bolts with its point beams, so the Chernobog wasn't going to win that way... On closer inspection, however, I noticed something... the Uranium's forward point defence weapons were weakening... slowly, yes, but certainly weakening...

I figured this might be how the Chernobog would eventually win, destroying enough of the Uranium's point defence to allow its tachyon bolts through. All of a sudden though, the Chernobog caught a lucky break and was able to smash through the Uranium's forward armour during a moment of weakness. I didn't see this happen, but the results were quite plain to see...

However, after this, the two ships only became locked in another stalemate. Now, however, the Uranium's weaponry was proving easier for the Chernobog to hit. It was still fairly slow going, but things were clearly turning in the Chernobog's favor, as the Uranium lost all of its forward point defence and began to see its beamers weaken..

Eventually, the Chernobog, in addition to claiming the first of the Uranium's beamers, was able to blow through more of the Uranium's armour...

...leaving the Uranium with only three sections between its core and the Chernobog's weapons. One-by-one, these sections, significantly weaker than the Uranium's outer armour, fell, leaving the ship's core exposed to the Chernobog's mega beamer...

Round 2:

Once again, both ships proceeded simply to unload their entire arsenal's at point blank, over and over again...

This time, however, it didn't take nearly as long before the Uranium's forward armour was breached...

With its three forward-most armour sections gone, the Uranium continued to try and fight the Chernobog for a while longer, before its inner armour began to give way...

The Uranium's beamers were also suffering from the Chernobog's tachyon cannons somewhat, but these were not really causing serious damage, and only managed to destroy one of the Uranium's beamers by the time the Chernobog's other weaponry was already ripping into the Uranium's inner hull...

The Uranium came extremely close to destroying the Chernobog's forward armour with its concentrated beamer volleys, but as they say, so near and yet so far. The Chernobog's armour held up and Uranium once again fell, this time in railgun style...

Winner: Chernobog

Crossbow vs Dracos II:

Round 1:

The Crossbow raised its deflectors in time to stop the Dracos' opening lancet beam shots...

Unfortunately, this was pretty much the only thing that went in the Crossbow's favor, as the ship found its weapons being sniped clean through the moment deflector failure set in...

The Crossbow was slower to lose sections...

...but ultimately, the Dracos was able to destroy the Crossbow's entire armament. Not satisfied with this effective victory, the Dracos did go on to destroy the Crossbow entirely...

Round 2:

Once again, the Crossbow was able to raise its deflectors in time to stop the Dracos' lancet beams... not that it helped, because once again the Crossbow was subject to having its weapons sniped off...

...and its systems lanceted...

With its systems degrading fast, the Crossbow began to lose sections again...

...but the Dracos didn't need to destroy the Crossbow to achieve victory... of course, it did destroy the Crossbow, but it had already achieved victory in the form of removing the Crossbow's offensive capacity. Meanwhile, the Crossbow had been barely able to dent the Dracos in either round, its weapons not powerful enough to punch through the Dracos' armour and its plasma charges unable to hit the Dracos' systems through that same thick armour...

Winner: Dracos II

Crossbow vs Uranium:

Round 1:

The Crossbow bore down on the lumbering Uranium even faster than the Chernobog did, effectively making the battle a corner brawl right from the beginning. The Crossbow's plasma charges were fairly effectively shot down by the Uranium's point defences, pretty much leaving the battle to be decided by the beamers of both ships...

Of course, the Uranium had the advantage. It wasted no time ripping into the Crossbow's forward armour the moment deflector failure set in, which interestingly enough, actually sent the Crossbow into hullshock...

The Crossbow retreated at this point, only to charge back in again to have its mega beamers vaporized...

The Crossbow didn't last much longer, mercilessly cored by the Uranium's beamers... I would have gotten a better picture, but the one I took only showed the whole screen yellow from the explosion, and I've decided against posting anymore of those in my fight results...

Round 2:

The fight started off in the same way as last round, but in reverse, with the Crossbow catching the Uranium sitting in its corner, only to have its plasma charges all shot down, even more so than in last round...

Once again, the Crossbow began to lose sections, but the Uranium was having a slightly harder time destroying the strut this time around, so instead settled for vaporizing the Crossbow's plasma charges...

It wasn't long, however, before the Uranium was able to cut through the Crossbow's armour strut and demolish its mega beamers...

...soon after tearing off more of the Crossbow's sections, and then the last of its weapons...

Winner: Uranium

Tomorrow's fights:

Chernobog vs Dracos II

Dracos II vs Stalker

Dracos II vs Uranium

Stalker vs Uranium
Anty
Commander
Commander

Post by Anty »

I hope it isnt to late,

I would like to submit my ship the eteru II for the tournament
If have no idea if its legal (first ship) I don't really get the points for section hp, (if it isnt right its supposed to have basic battleship hp with the front 2 sections increased for 2 points each)

anyway
stats:

speed: 0.05 - 1 point
turning 0.8 - 32 points
accel 0.01 - 2 points
sections 9 - 5 points
section hp increase 4 points

total sections and engines 44 points

weapons

4 repeater tachyons 24 points
6 railguns 18 points
6 flak cannons 6 points
2 particle guns 4 points
3 deflectors 6 points

56 points

total 100 points

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... eru_II.sb3
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... eru_II.shp

(I hope it works)
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

If Trek excepts this late entry, you best believe it will work. May not against mine or the stalker though, it doesn't move. I flirted with a few models like you have going, I think you will dominate if anything gets close enough to fire your Mega Tac's. Actually what you have going is almost a exact copy of the Chemosh, but beefed up and better defenses. But the Chemosh wasn't made with this point system, I used the point system we worked out in Cmd prompts tourney coming up.

Anty
Commander
Commander

Post by Anty »

you are right.........

So I chewed some points of the insane turning rate and gave it some speed :P

Eteru III

stats:

speed: 0.65 - 13 point
turning 0.4 - 16 points
accel 0.03 - 6 points
sections 9 - 5 points
section hp increase 4 points

total sections and engines 44 points

weapons

4 repeater tachyons 24 points
6 railguns 18 points
6 flak cannons 6 points
2 particle guns 4 points
3 deflectors 6 points

56 points

total 100 points

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... ru_III.sb3
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... ru_III.shp

this one is final
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

If trek excepts it, its a very good ship. Not to many sections to it though, so you maybe the victim of a wipe out barrage. Otherwise though, I think this thing will maybe dominate. I hope he lets ya enter, seeing other ships do have to change to get ran that were already submitted. So the process to finalize the battleship part will be prolonged for abit. Trek if ya can accept this one if its not to much bother. This one will be fun to watch, and perhaps win the tourney. If I had the tactics I do now, I would have made something like yours. The Dracos was built the first month I started building tourney ships in general. It was based on a device ship idea, now that devices are banned from this tourney until there fixed. It really doesn't work as good as intended. Hopefully it still makes a good showing. I think you should have added two lancets onto your ships though, then she would have been much more dangerous.

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

I'm sorry but I'm not accepting any new entries, and that's final...

DarkenShroud, I've already been leaniant enough allowing your Dracos and Xerxes' Uranium to enter... I think it's time I put my foot down... I allowed your Dracos to enter because you were so keen... I basically took pity on you (besides, you originally wanted to enter before I had started the fights)... and I allowed Xerxes' Uranium to enter for two reasons...

A: It didn't seem unfairly specifically designed to defeat the other entries.

B: He was already part of the tournament, with both frigate and cruiser entries.

Anty, however, has just gallivanted out of nowhere, excepting me to enter his ship when I've already started the battleship fights. Sorry mate, but it ain't happening...
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Now he didn't expect anything, he said if it isn't to late can he enter. Now that it has been said its to late bummer to him. But he can always get in somewhere else if needs be, or in Cmd Prompts team tourney when that one comes up. Or if a slot opens on a team on Sponges, then there ya go.
Sorry ya didn't make it in man, but excellent ship eitherway.

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Battle results for Feburary 4th:

Chernobog vs Dracos II:

Round 1:

This fight was, for a battleship fight, surprisingly short. The Chernobog raised its deflectors well in time to repulse the Dracos' lancet beams (note: this pic was taken a little late), preventing any early system damage...

It quickly became apparent that due to a lack of point defence, and the Dracos' hull design, the Chernobog's tachyon cannons were easily getting inside, quickly draining the Dracos' nano matrix, and leaving its weapons potentially vulnerable. Fortunately for the Dracos, railguns have high HPs...

And indeed, once deflector failure set in, the Dracos proved able to dish out severe damage to the Chernobog's weapon systems. That didn't prevent the Chernobog from claiming the first section kill, however...

The Chernobog lost one of its tachyon cannons and almost its others, but the Dracos just able to get lucky, as the Chernobog tore through its armour and began to dismantle its interior sections...

A hullshock later and it looked like the Dracos was done for...

It managed to hold out for a while, however, its now three remaining deflectors proving very effective on its now merely two sections. It might have had a chance had it destroyed the Chernobog's tachyon cannons when it had the chance (I.E. during deflector failure), but twice this failed to occur, and the Chernobog eventually busted through the stubborn Dracos' last two sections and took out the fight...

Round 2:

The Chernobog was a little slow in raising its deflectors, allowing its flak guns to be mostly destroyed by the Dracos' opening lancet shot. Once the ships got close, the fight at first looked pretty similar to last round, with the Cherobog's tachyon bolts easily getting around the Dracos' deflectors and draining its nano matrix...

The Chernobog again claimed the first section kill...

However, this time the Chernobog found itself taking severe damage from the Dracos' railguns and lancets alot sooner, losing two of its tachyon cannons early on...

Eventually, the Chernobog was looking severely worn down, its progressively smaller armament no longer able to break through the Dracos' defence...

Eventually the Chernobog lost the last of its deflectors...

...then began to lose sections...

...and finally went into hullshock and lost its last railgun, resulting in a victory for the Dracos II...

Round 3: Tiebreaker:

I rolled a dice because I don't trust the VCT anymore. The roll came up odds, so the Dracos II would play as the 'ally' ship and the Chernobog as the 'enemy' ship...

This time around, the Chernobog raised its deflectors well in time to repulse the Dracos' lancets... either that or the Dracos was slow on the trigger...

Something I forgot to mention about the last two rounds was that both times the fights had quickly become a corner brawl, and this round was no different. The Dracos was once again backed into a corner. The Chernobog again claimed the first section kill, and its tachyon cannons were quickly draining the Dracos' nano matrix. Again, due to the high HPs of railgun, this didn't prove critical...

The Chernobog began to break through the Dracos' armour, but even as it did, it began to lose weapons, starting with a tachyon cannon....

...and ending with the destruction of both of the Chernobog's gatling blasters and all four of its tachyon cannons, even as the Dracos went into hullshock...

It looked like the Dracos might just manage to hold out and finish off the Chernobog's weaponry, but a well placed blast from the Chernobog's mega beamer just as deflector failure set in quickly put pay to that idea, once again sending the Chernobog into hullshock...

It failed to recover... a close fought win for the Chernobog...

Winner: Chernobog

Dracos II vs Stalker:

Round 1:

The Stalker raised its deflectors in plenty of time, repulsing the Dracos' opening lancet shots...

From there, the ships pretty much settled onto the left side of the map and proceeded to throw things at each other's deflectors. The Dracos was able to damage the Stalker's weapons whenever deflector failure set in, but the Stalker's nano matrix prevented this from being fatal in any reasonable time frame. Equally, the Dracos' nano matrix was useful against the damage from the Stalker's Demeter drones...

The Stalker eventually claimed the first section kill. Its powerful plasma charges had nothing to stand in their way. With the help of the Stalker's two gatling blasters, they broke through the Dracos' foward-most armour section.

That's where the Stalker's good luck ended, however, as the Dracos soon after destroyed the first of the Stalker's four plasma launchers, just when the Stalker began a new tactic. It was now semi-circling around the Dracos... it seemed that even losing only one of its four plasma charges was a fatal blow, as the Stalker now seemed unable to break through anymore of the Dracos' armour...

The Dracos then proceeded, after a lot of useless volleys, to destroy two more of the Stalker's plasma charges. It then caught a lucky break, managing to send a lancet beam straight through three of the Stalker's six Demeter launchers...

Once it destroyed the Stalker's last plasma charge, however, the Stalker continued to semi-circle around the Dracos, back and fourth, losing no more weapons. It didn't have enough firepower to defeat the Dracos, but the Dracos wasn't able to hit it decisively enough to destroy anymore of its systems. It seemed this would continue indefinitely, and running the fight at 170-180 FPS (or thereabouts) for long periods didn't seem to help (the Stalker stubbornly held out no matter how hard the Dracos tried). So I figured had to choices... I could call the fight in favor of the obviously victorious Dracos, or I could be pedantic and leave the fight running in the hope that something would happen. I did leave the fight running for a good long time, but nothing changed, so I had to call the fight. I think it was pretty obvious by then that the Dracos had won the fight...

Round 2:

The fight went down in a quite similar manner to last round. Once the two ships closed to attack range (with the Stalker rasing its deflectors in time to stop the opening lancet shots)...

...they settled onto the side of the map and began to brawl in earnest. There were only two major differences. First, the Dracos had not lost a section when it destroyed the Stalker's first plasma charge, leaving the Stalker with insufficient weaponry to destroy any of the Dracos' armour, and second, the Stalker did not begin semi-circling the Dracos this time...

Eventually, all four of the Stalker's plasma charges fell, as did its flak guns...

A lucky lancet shot from the Dracos also destroyed two of the Stalker's Demeter launchers...

After that, however, complete stalemate, a stalemate I called in favour of the obviously victorious Dracos...

Winner by default: Dracos

Dracos II vs Uranium:

Round 1:

As in tis other fights, the Uranium barely got out of its corner when the Dracos got into lancet range. Fortunately for the Uranium, its deflectors were already up...

However, in a first for the battleship entrants, the Uranium proved so slow it wasn't, at first, able to fire on the Dracos II at all, being out ranged by the latter's railgun's. Eventually, the Dracos did get caught on the side of the map, allowing the Uranium to open fire...

Not that it mattered much. Not only was the Uranium able to cause any significant damage to the Dracos, but soon after, the Uranium's beamers, already severely damaged by a previous lanceting, now lost half their number...

It wasn't much longer before the other half of the Uranium's beamers were also destroyed, leaving the Uranium without any way of fighting back, an effective victory for the Dracos II...

Round 2:

The only difference between this round and last round was that when the Dracos hit the edge of the map, it continued to sort of 'slide' down towards the bottom left corner, preventing the Uranium from firing on it at all before it found itself disarmed...

Winner: Dracos II

I would also have run the Stalker vs Uranium fight today, but unfortunately, it turns out I'll need to test the Stalker and Uranium in the same way I tested the Big Armoured Turd vs Obfusaction III, and the Uranium has a problem in that the 360 degree weapon arcs of its beamers are technically illegal. This didn't make a difference during the Uranium's other fights with individual ships, but it might make a deference during the tests and also when the Uranium faces the two Dieterling equipped ships...

Anyway, the remaining fights (aside from Stalker vs Uranium), now that Arcalane has dropped out of the tournament (he just PMed me a response to a message I sent him asking him was he was going to do with his Tarantula), will be run once TH fixes the Dieterling bug...
Last edited by Captain Trek on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Chernobog was always a ship I had a problem with, if devices were fixed, it would have fallen. Thanks for taking the time out to post results Trek.

Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Finally! Thanks, Trek.

Your hard work is appreciated by all of us. And please, fix the Photobucket images. I wanna see some pictures of ships tearing each other apart. :twisted:
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]