Probably bad ships.

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Mechachoice
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Probably bad ships.

Post by Mechachoice »

I guess i'll get straight to the point.
Spoiler!
Arcane

Weapons
-Double autocannons x2
-Railgun
-Particle cannon x2

Spoiler!
Archer

Weapons
-Gatling blaster x2
-Beamer x2
-Flak x2

Other
-Aegis shield

Spoiler!
Enforcer

Weapons
-MIRV standard x2
-Point rocket x2
-Plasma

Other
-Aegis shield x2

...Accidently removed my ShipMakerRepack files, so there will never be a download to these ships.
Hail the JELLY!
Mechachoice
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: Probably bad ships.

Post by Mechachoice »

More ships, i guess.
Spoiler!

Arrow Class Fighter

The slowest fighter available at the moment. However, its very manueverable. It has laser weaponry which will deliver the impact instantly, completly ignoring point-defence. But since it's a fighter, it does have weak armor. The range of the guns is also great.

Core stats:
Hp: 100
Speed: 4.85-0.06
Turning: 1.75
Spoiler!

Mosquito Class Fighter

Fast, manueverable, packs a punch. What doesn't it do? The Mosquito is a great little fighter. You could say it's a jack of all trades though, it's missiles don't do tons of damage, it ain't insanely fast or anything. But it's still a good ship.

Core stats:
Hp: 150
Speed: 7.55-0.09
Turning: 1.25
Spoiler!

Falcon Class Fighter

Vulcan weaponry? On a fighter? Well, here it is. Seriously though, this is powerful. It's pretty well armored at the front as well. Fast and furious, though the turning is kinda awkward.

Core stats:
Hp: 100
Speed: 8.35-0.06
Turning: 0.85
Hail the JELLY!
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

It actually looks decent, just needs a little cleaning up and then they are perfect.
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
Mechachoice
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Mechachoice »

I know this sounds stupid, but...

How do i clean it up?
Hail the JELLY!
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

The thing is, there aren't really any flaws in them. But they also lack the masterwork that we have been accustomed to. Honestly, I'd tell you to look around at what people have done and practice practice practice.
Also, I do quite like these ships.
Welcome to our dead forums.
naysayers will be shot
Mechachoice
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Mechachoice »

Practice?

Well, i guess i'll try.

Curvy
Spoiler!
Spiky
Spoiler!
Brick
Spoiler!
Bricks... risky, isn't it?
Triangle
Spoiler!
These were some themes i randomly came up with, or saw on the forums.
Now, please give me feedback on how to make it fit more with the theme i have chosen, or to simply make the general shape better.
No feedback on colors, shading or anything like that yet.
Hail the JELLY!
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

The forums aren't even that dead dead, Doogie. They seem more active than usual. I guess that's due to the new members.

Anyway, Mechachoice, I'd say your previous ships are fairly good. Not on the incredible-amount-of-fine-detail-our-veterans-are-able-to-achieve level kind of good, but they look nice.

They still have some issues. The sectionwork in the first batch is not all that good, the weapons look like they're glued on and not actually a part of the ships and the depthing/colouring is kinda weird. Overall they're... Ehhh... Not that good, but not that bad either. They're just... Meh.

The orange ones are actually fairly nice too look at, especially the second one. I feel like you did a much better job with colouring and depthing on that on. The sectionwork on all of those ships looks better - parts actually go together well. They have... Idk how to put it. Flow?

Basically, they look a lot more like proper ships than the first batch, which looks more like connected sections than a proper whole. The weapons also actually look like they're supposed to be there on the orange ones (well, the first one is still a bit weird in that regard, but whatever).

Overall, I quite like the orange ships, and the blue ships are... Okay, I guess.

Regarding the general shape of the new thingies. They're all in the "it's been done, but so have most ship-like shapes" category, I'd say.

I'd say the second one looks the best. It also seems familiar.

I'm not a huge fan of the last one. While space triangles, as a general shape, are pretty good and generally used, I find that they're somewhat hard to pull off, especially the smooth kind you seem to be trying to do here. Smooth triangles can be done, and I have seen some really good ones, but I think making them look good takes quite a bit of skill.

The first one... Hmmm, I don't know. I feel like something similar to that could work, but that particular shape looks like a long ellipse with something stuck to one part of it, and the back and the front part look like something that is not supposed to be connected but still was. I think it could work with a better transition between the front and the back part.

I'd say the third one is risky, yeah. Rectangular ships can work, but they probably shouldn't be a complete brick and would likely require a lot of detail and sections that kinda break up the shape, or otherwise they look like, well, bricks.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
Mechachoice
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Mechachoice »

Well, i agree that the blue ships i made looks like random crap glued together. I mean, they were my first ships ever made with the shipmaker repack, when i finally understood how to actually load in a group of custom sections.
the back and the front part look like something that is not supposed to be connected but still was. I think it could work with a better transition between the front and the back part.
Im guessing you're talking about these parts.

I agree with you on these parts being out of place, so i tried my best to make it better.
but that particular shape looks like a long ellipse with something stuck to one part of it
Err, i still don't understand what you mean with that. Could you please explain?
I'm not really going to bother with the brick or triangle yet, i don't think im good enough to make any of that look appealing.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
Hail the JELLY!
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Yes, I was mainly referring to the connection between the back section and the front section. The revision looks quite nice and definitely has more flow. It's maybe even a bit too smooth, but it's definitely an improvement in my opinion. The changed version looks pretty good.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

With that ship, it doesn't really look like there's cohesion between the sections. Yea, the outer shape flows, but the internal section work is messy and lacks anything to really look at.
naysayers will be shot
Mechachoice
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Mechachoice »

Oh, now i notice what was wrong about it.

Well, i doubt this sectionwork is any better, but i'll let you decide.
Hail the JELLY!
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

That is a lot nicer, the sectionwork flows much better. These ships are pretty good, especially for a newbie.
Next thing to try would probably be depthing; making the inner sections that are supposed to be higher up brighter and the outer sections darker to give it more of a 3D feel.
Mechachoice
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Mechachoice »

Well, i don't know how to get multiple shades of a color. Do i need to do it manually or is there a faster way?
Hail the JELLY!
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

In the color pallet on the left you just manually set colors with different shades. There is no science to it
naysayers will be shot
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

You can color the sections first then proceed with shading
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world