Galactic Conquest Organization Ideas & Discussion

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Zeron
Captain
Captain

Post by Zeron »

Call it:Cold War Organization Ideas & Discussion
Fade-in,fade-out
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Zeron wrote:
Arcalane wrote:
Lizzie wrote:Well how about we have a cold-war with limited tech like I had set up. I think THAT kind of limitation would make things very interesting.
Sounds fair to me. :)

I'll try writing up some basics to start with, and post them some time around Christmas, depending on how I get on with them.

It shouldn't be too hard, just don't be expect to be allowed tons of very large, extremely powerful ships. I'll try and add some leeway in the form of flagships or "experimental" warships (ala SupCom) but use them wisely. ;)
Make it possible to build anything you wish, BUT give everything a price. So we could have a people go through and check the new blueprints and give them costs. This makes everything that we alredy have constructable, but with a price!
Indeed.
Initial construction cost AND up-keep costs.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Thread Retitled. Trashed my whiney first post too.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Lizzie wrote:
Zeron wrote:Make it possible to build anything you wish, BUT give everything a price. So we could have a people go through and check the new blueprints and give them costs. This makes everything that we alredy have constructable, but with a price!
Indeed.
Initial construction cost AND up-keep costs.
Upkeep wasn't part of my plan, but it could easily be implemented.

And yes, price and construction time would be considered in order to cut down on wankshippery and huge fleets.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

THANK GOD, FINALLY, SOME SORT OF BALANCE WITHOUT WANK

Sorry. There's a reason why I kept telling people "Do three systems REALLY support a battle fleet of 300 superheavy capital ships?" and had only 8 kilometer plus ships in my inventory.

Some things just make more sense.

Of course, I'll let you all do the work and then nitpick it later. :D
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
Ulric Jorgensson
Commander
Commander

Post by Ulric Jorgensson »

I would say that we should make characters with the character generator that Lizzie found, that way when we refer to a character, everyone can actually see what the character looks like!
I knew it! Ageis DOES taste like Vanilla!

[img]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/X295Alpha/2.gif[/img]
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

Or you can draw the characters yourself. (I personally don't have characters, they're mostly nameless various ship captains and crew that support whatever it is I need at the moment.)
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
Ulric Jorgensson
Commander
Commander

Post by Ulric Jorgensson »

Very true, but for the non-artisticly inclined, like myself, that character generator is a godsend
I knew it! Ageis DOES taste like Vanilla!

[img]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/X295Alpha/2.gif[/img]
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Aralonia wrote:Or you can draw the characters yourself...
Thats true, Might go that route.
Ulric Jorgensson wrote:Very true, but for the non-artisticly inclined, like myself, that character generator is a godsend
Thats true too. :) I think people should take either route, whichever one suits them the best.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

If someone can devise a system so that we may assign a 'threat rating' on each ship in the same manner as the rules used by the tournament, then we'll have an easier time working from an agreed standard.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Trust me, it'll be worked on.
THANK GOD, FINALLY, SOME SORT OF BALANCE WITHOUT WANK

Sorry. There's a reason why I kept telling people "Do three systems REALLY support a battle fleet of 300 superheavy capital ships?" and had only 8 kilometer plus ships in my inventory.
As will this. Upkeep, construction... it'll all be covered.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

Might I make a suggestion:

A planetary system can have up to 3 habitable planets in it. The amount of planets is calculated using a random number generator using a dice roll of 1d4, where (n – 1), n being the number obtained, is the amount of habitable worlds.

Each habitable world can support a value of ships, as given by a point system. The amount of ships is calculated using a random number generator using a dice roll of 1d20, where:

1-5 = 100 points
6-10 = 200 points
11-15 = 300 points
15-19 = 400 points
20 = 500 points

of supportable ships. Point values are added to a cummulative total of your entire star nation. Homeworlds are an automatic 650 points carriage.

100 points worth of ships are required to take over a planet.

--

Ships classes are stopped by $arbitrary_limitations that you lot will put down. Ship point values:

'Corvette' = 10 points
'Frigate' = 20 points
'Destroyer' = 50 points
'Cruiser' = 100 points
'Battleship' = 250 points
Supercapital = 500 points

Light Cruisers are generally ships of the overarching Cruiser class, but sacrificing the heavier weapons for either larger numbers of smaller guns or guns with a higher rate of fire. Consequently, a Heavy Cruiser is typically a ship of the Cruiser class that mounts heavier weapons with a slower rate of fire.

This distinction however stops at Battleships and Battlecruisers. Battleships are heavy, slow lineships with impressive firepower and armour, and Battlecruisers are fast scouting vessels designed to 'outgun anything that it can't outrun, and outrun anything it can't outgun', based on the 'speed armour' philosophy.
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Mwahaha, me smells organisation cooking for dinner, mmmmm.

How about making some sort of campaign map a la Total War, in which every player owns a certain number of systems (planets would make less sense on these scales) with 'home' systems which would contain the faction's seat of power, 'capture' of which would knock them out the war.

Perhaps a turn-based system like in the text games, where a certain number of moves is allowed around the map for a fleet.
messenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by messenger »

I would love to join this once the 3rd shipmaker is out.
Variety is the spice of life.
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

Map is currently under construction as a lolfest between me and Arcalane. I think.