Galactic Conquest Organization Ideas & Discussion

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Galactic Conquest Organization Ideas & Discussion

Post by TheBlueEcho »

As the Title states, It is a thread on what to do and how to plan for the next BF war. Before You Post, Read these posts by the Organizer, Arcalane:
Arcalane wrote:Oh, by the way, here's some basic rules to expect;
  • Fleets will not be omgwtfhueg.
  • Ships will probably be kept more to a BSF-stock scale in terms of size and armament for the sake of sanity, fast battle resolution and easy pricing.
  • There will be no wankships. That is final.
  • All ships will comply with the posted rules or not be allowed for use. That is final. This means we will need to examine the blueprints.
  • Flagships have more leeway than normal ships when it comes to restrictions, but don't expect them to be cheap. You will only be allowed one at a time as well.
  • Weapons cannot be modified whatsoever. This is also final. There may be some leeway for range enhancements only for flagships, and only within reason.
  • Colonies can be captured or destroyed. They can also be blockaded. I'll explain this in a moment.
Blockading

Blockading, effectively, is the practice of blocking off trade routes, etc. to a system, port or planet. In this case, two things can be blockaded; the natural warp routes, or a system.

Warp Route Blockades
When a warp route is blockaded, a fleet is essentially camping out at the exit. Any ships that exit warp must either identify as friendly, engage in combat, or turn around and leave again.

Effectively, this gives you an extra layer of defense when protecting your home systems or borders.

Planetary Blockades
When a planet/system is blockaded, this has two effects; that system no longer generates income for it's owner, and the blockader also has the option to halt/destroy any ship or base construction.

There is also a slight chance that a planet will rebel against it's owner and join the blockading fleet's faction, but this is very low.

Obviously it is impossible to blockade your own systems.

Planet Capture
To capture a planet/system, you must drop at least one unit of Troops using a Transport. Planetary capture is very streamlined;

If the planet has no Troops defending it, then it is captured.
If there is one unit of Defending Troops for every unit of Attacking Troops, then there is a stalemate.
If the number of Defenders is higher than the number of Attackers, then the planet is safe.
If the number of Attackers is higher than the number of Defenders, then the planet is conquered.

For example; I land one unit of troops on Beta Orion's capital. There are no defenders. I capture the planet with little resistance.

I land two units of troops on Alpha Coriolis' capital. There are two units of defenders. We fight to a stalemate and require reinforcements.

I land another unit of troops on Alpha Coriolis the next turn. I then win, because 3 > 2. Simple.

However, if my enemy has a transport that reaches Alpha Coriolis with additional troops before my transport, increasing the number of defenders to 3, my 2 are outnumbered and defeated.

If both transports arrive at the same time, then it is again a stalemate.

Systems, Planets, Boundaries and Ownership
For the sake of sanity, each system is considered to have only one habitable planet that determines the ownership of the system.

An empire can "claim" a system even if it does not inhabit it. However, you cannot claim systems that are not directly linked to your own systems. Two feuding empires can lay claim to a border system, for example, but you cannot automatically lay claim to everyone's homeworlds from the start of the game*.

(*You can from an IC PoV, but not ingame. :P)
Arcalane wrote:Oh, and a couple of concepts I'll introduce now as well;

Defense Platforms and Starbases
These are your last (or first) line of defense against invading forces. All Starbases and Defense Platforms must be destroyed before you can invade a planet or destroy a colony. I'll start with Defense Platforms.

Defense Platforms
These small autonomous bases (roughly the size of BSF's stock bases) are basically turrets. Defense Platforms can be built in systems and cannot move, even in space combat. Defense Platforms can be built at Warp Exits (where they act as an automatic Blockade) or at a Planet. In the former case, any ship wishing to enter the system must pass the platforms. This must either be by force or treaty. All platforms must be destroyed to remove the blockade. Starting colonies also recieve 3 basic template defense platforms at the Planet to defend against rushes. Defense platforms cannot be upgraded or retrofitted.

Defense Platforms can be packaged and transported by a Transport, but cannot be undeployed once set in place.

Defense Platforms are very cheap to maintain, but their limited usefulness and inability for upgrading limits their lifespan.

Starbases
Starbases are great hulking constructions like the Leviathan - a combination of refuelling depot, command center, shipyard and most of all, defense system. Starbases can only be constructed at a planet, and are a sign of power and wealth. All player homeworlds start with a free "templated" Starbase to protect against rushing. Over time, you may choose to refit and rearm or even expand your starbase in order to increase it's defensive power.

Starbases can only be constructed at a Planet, and are considerably costly. However, their maintenance fees are not as high as maintaining an entire defense fleet.
Arcalane wrote:It is unlikely that you'd be allowed to join after the game starts.

As for the map, we are not using any maps of known space, and whatever additional systems you choose for your empire can be named whatever you like.

TRAVEL

Our universe is a slightly odd one. See, none of the races ever invented their own faster-than-light travel. They had no need to, in fact, as numerous natural phenomenon were found, that acted as "wormholes" or "portals" into other systems. Transit through these was almost negligable in terms of duration and cost, and they were soon the "accepted" form of transport around the universe.

Fleets can only make 1 "jump" per movement turn, so choose your movement wisely.
Arcalane wrote:All new fleets will need to be created due to the game rules.

A map is already being worked on.
Arcalane wrote:No. We will start a roster when the time comes.

Aralonia is Chief Mapping Dude, so you can bug him for system placement when the time comes. Which will be when I say it comes. Not before then.
Arcalane wrote:Sorry, but the no custom weapons note is FINAL AND NOT UP FOR DEBATE WHATSOEVER.

I don't care if it encourages diversity. It also encourages wankships.

I am discussing a research system with Cerebrus.

And yes it will still be about the RP, Anarki. The mechanics I am making are merely to ensure that it does not become a complete wankfest arms race at the same time.
Last edited by TheBlueEcho on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

I suppose I could put together a CW pack for my fleet later tonight.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Lizzie wrote:I suppose I could put together a CW pack for my fleet later tonight.
That would be greatly apreciated.
BTW, you could put it here so we can start an ever-updating thread for each particapant of CW, so that if people make a new CW warship/fleet/ect. or update an old one, people don't have to go looking. :wink:
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

It's not as if people actually use ships to fight each other - we all got obscene custom weapons.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Anarki wrote:It's not as if people actually use ships to fight each other - we all got obscene custom weapons.
Even so, someone out there would want them.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Anarki wrote:It's not as if people actually use ships to fight each other - we all got obscene custom weapons.
Amen to that. XD
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

The organisation is nowhere.

I was originally planning to wait until I was ready and everyone else was to initiate. But Zeron screwed up my plans and now we have that giant pissfight that the current Cold War thread is now.

I'm making a new navy at the moment and refitting all my ships into something logical. Until that's done, I'm pretty much out.

If you're really curious, I've posted a fleet: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... _Ships.zip
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Lets let this cold war fizzle out into non-existence (it probably will. We're all improvising) and in the mean time, create a thread purely for the FULL fleet roster of everyone taking part, if another war pops up. And to avoid pointless conversation, the only posts should be made by people taking part and the posts should be of the roster. So one post per player, and that's it.

One thread could also be for purely RPing, one for comments and questions, and one for RP rules.

Whaddya say :?:
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Exethalion wrote:Lets let this cold war fizzle out into non-existence (it probably will. We're all improvising) and in the mean time, create a thread purely for the FULL fleet roster of everyone taking part, if another war pops up. And to avoid pointless conversation, the only posts should be made by people taking part and the posts should be of the roster. So one post per player, and that's it.

One thread could also be for purely RPing, one for comments and questions, and one for RP rules.

Whaddya say :?:
Sent you a PM
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I am planning on kicking up an actual "Cold War" complete with some rules, regulations and (zomg) a map! It'll be a turn based thing and somewhat similar to Normandy's "Conflicting Factions" game, albiet with a lot less management of your sectors. More focus on border fights, diplomacy, sabotage, etc. which would all be handled by RP and such.

Actual fights would be run in game, and there would be serious restrictions on what can be deployed in order to prevent a wanktastic arms race (eg, only 2 guns and 4 sections per frigate, etc. and no modified weapons) where people are constantly trying to one-up each other, which I think is what ruined the current "Cold" (since it's actual fighting, not just an arms race, there is no way it can still be classified as cold) War.

No promises, though.

Thoughts?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Arcalane wrote:I am planning on kicking up an actual "Cold War" complete with some rules, regulations and (zomg) a map! It'll be a turn based thing and somewhat similar to Normandy's "Conflicting Factions" game, albiet with a lot less management of your sectors. More focus on border fights, diplomacy, sabotage, etc. which would all be handled by RP and such.

Actual fights would be run in game, and there would be serious restrictions on what can be deployed in order to prevent a wanktastic arms race (eg, only 2 guns and 4 sections per frigate, etc. and no modified weapons) where people are constantly trying to one-up each other, which I think is what ruined the current "Cold" (since it's actual fighting, not just an arms race, there is no way it can still be classified as cold) War.

No promises, though.

Thoughts?
I have a suggestion to add onto that:
Me, Aralonia, Ulric, and Kenny are already into a "Old tech" war. You've seen my "Old tech" fleet yes?
Well how about we have a cold-war with limited tech like I had set up. I think THAT kind of limitation would make things very interesting.

And just FYI, my old-tech ships have modded weapons but the only ones to have range and DPS mods are the two forward facing railguns on the ships. The cannons are not modded at all. And the missiles just have scatter-shot and missile output mods.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Lizzie wrote:
Arcalane wrote:I am planning on kicking up an actual "Cold War" complete with some rules, regulations and (zomg) a map! It'll be a turn based thing and somewhat similar to Normandy's "Conflicting Factions" game, albiet with a lot less management of your sectors. More focus on border fights, diplomacy, sabotage, etc. which would all be handled by RP and such.

No promises, though.

Thoughts?
I have a suggestion to add onto that:
Me, Aralonia, Ulric, and Kenny are already into a "Old tech" war. You've seen my "Old tech" fleet yes?
Well how about we have a cold-war with limited tech like I had set up. I think THAT kind of limitation would make things very interesting.

And just FYI, my old-tech ships have modded weapons but the only ones to have range and DPS mods are the two forward facing railguns on the ships. The cannons are not modded at all. And the missiles just have scatter-shot and missile output mods.
I further this with what Exethalion said in his post.
Exethalion wrote:Lets let this cold war fizzle out into non-existence... create a thread purely for the FULL fleet roster of everyone taking part... And to avoid pointless conversation, the only posts should be made by people taking part and the posts should be of the roster. So one post per player, and that's it.
I found this to be a clean way of organizing the next war. though i think the last bit should be in one thread instead of 2.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Lizzie wrote:Well how about we have a cold-war with limited tech like I had set up. I think THAT kind of limitation would make things very interesting.
Sounds fair to me. :)

I'll try writing up some basics to start with, and post them some time around Christmas, depending on how I get on with them.

It shouldn't be too hard, just don't be expect to be allowed tons of very large, extremely powerful ships. I'll try and add some leeway in the form of flagships or "experimental" warships (ala SupCom) but use them wisely. ;)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Zeron
Captain
Captain

Post by Zeron »

Arcalane wrote:
Lizzie wrote:Well how about we have a cold-war with limited tech like I had set up. I think THAT kind of limitation would make things very interesting.
Sounds fair to me. :)

I'll try writing up some basics to start with, and post them some time around Christmas, depending on how I get on with them.

It shouldn't be too hard, just don't be expect to be allowed tons of very large, extremely powerful ships. I'll try and add some leeway in the form of flagships or "experimental" warships (ala SupCom) but use them wisely. ;)
Make it possible to build anything you wish, BUT give everything a price. So we could have a people go through and check the new blueprints and give them costs. This makes everything that we alredy have constructable, but with a price!
Fade-in,fade-out
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

I wondering if i should retitle this thread...