Let's keep building battleships forever...

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

So just picked up Space Engineers to compare it to Starmade. Both have some features I would like the other to pick up, but right now I feel like Space Engineers is going in a more realistic direction for what I enjoy.

So for my first ship I decided to feed my fan ship addiction, and build the Warlock Advanced Destroyer from Babylon 5. The outside is 'almost' complete, but there is still quite a bit of work to do. Sorry for the low quality shots, I forgot I had my settings down. Anyway, tell me what you think.
Spoiler!
ImageImage

Right now the main thing the game suffers from is a lack of parts. Mostly functional things like more weapons, but for me it's the miniscule collection of building blocks. Anyone else play this on any servers I could join? If I do another fan ship, what should I build next?
*edit* Warlock is pretty much finished:
Last edited by jwa8402 on Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Random Acts of Violence with Space Engineers

Post by CryoSleep »

Wow, this is awesome.
I'm not quite familiar with Babylon 5, is that thing Terran?
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

@Jwa My Space Engineers clan is set to be starting a server very soon. Also if you are a member of the official SE steam group and website the is a test server that you can join.

My clan is the UESC if you are interested.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

@Cryosleep Thanks! Yes it is Terran. My understanding is that humans started off as really low tech compared to other races but then fought a bunch of wars with with the different aliens and over time got various techs. This was one of the more advanced ships towards the end of the show, though they didn't really use it.

One of those techs was artificial gravity since the early human ships had none or spun to create it. It apparently has some sort of gravity drive which is interesting because in this game people have figured out how to kludge together a functioning drive by manipulating the artificial gravity blocks. So it basically would be slow as a turtle but this thing will kick it to the max speed in seconds.

Nexrontyr1998 awesome! I'm totally new to this game, haven't even built a fighter, so it would be fun to play with others who know what they're talking about.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Gravity drives are awesome, but they need to be well built or you'll get your ship spinning wildly. Oh, and a method of slowing down after you turn the grav drive off. For stabilisation (aside from gyros , which are necessarry but won't let you controll a grav drive ship on their own) I like to use a spinning segment attached with a rotor which has some mass blocks. They let you make the stabiliser smaller. Oh, and their blue glow combined with the spinning can look awesome on a ship if built right.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

So I've been on a kick of 3d printing models from some of my favorite games growing up. Originally I started modeling stuff in a CAD program, but what good is that when I can baptize them with fire?! So this is from Space Engineers. Still very rough as I don't have days or even hours on end to veg out while building the way I once did.

Also, reconciling 2D into 3D is hard, but it's coming out pretty sleek so far. Haven't touched the core yet so that part will be better...
2023-07-02-10-54-19-057.png