The Novian Empire (undergoing maintenance)

For approved factions or something. Only approved DGW group members can post here.
366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Novian Empire (undergoing maintenance)

Post by 366storm »

Ok then. Sorry for wasting the comment space.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

If I were you, I would nerf the weapons themselves rather than decreasing their number.

I quite like the weapon diversity you have there.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Version 1.8 is up!

.All ships weapons damage cut by 50%
.minor speed nerfs
.Unity and Legacy no longer used (but still included)
.Neuron still unfinished

See main page for download.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Is Notitia new or I just didn't notice it until now?
-Abraham Lincoln
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

No, its been here a while. Its an armed civilian, pretty sure its info is on the main page.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Did you just nerf the weapons, or did you make some other changes?

Cause I'm just waiting for Doogie to declare them balanced so I can balance Zaith against them.
-Abraham Lincoln
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

weapons and some speed issues, they seemed to be the most pressing matters. Once they've been tested some more i'll see if anything else needs to be done.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Can I take some of the apostrophes from the OP? I'm collecting them to give them to people who need them, and you seem to have too many.
-Abraham Lincoln
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Okay, we talked about balancing stuff on the chat, so I thought I'd list various issues in this post as I find them.

So far I only noticed the PD needs a significant nerf, but I haven't been doing any other tests. When I do, i'll probably list it in this post, so check it out from time to time.
-Abraham Lincoln
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

And, of course, cover the cores on those ships. :P

EDIT: I'll probably do a large balance test for Nove in two weeks. I know its a lot of tiem, but considering this subforum is kinda dead, that's not a long time.
-Abraham Lincoln
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Well nothing has changed since last update (had a lot of IRL stuff on recently and with Christmas prep for next month I might not be very active in the near future). But all balance tests will be much appreciated.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Note: This post has a LOT OF STUFF realted to your faction, and it is probably quite messy. Please read it all, I've adressed many issues and talked about many things. I know it's messy and probably not too easy to read, sorry.

Do I have the permission to do the modifications for balancing myself? I won't change their behaviour (I don't want to repurpose them or change the style), only fix the things that make them broken as I know what to do with them to fix them. Most of your fleet is good, but there is some stuff that needs to be done before it's ready to go, and after a large amount of testing, I know what and where I want to do.

Fighter spirtes for anyone that needs them, because Necron didn't include them.

Unity: (folder is Fighters in custom sprites folder, of course, filename as it is)
Nec_ftr01.png
Nec_ftr01.png (565 Bytes) Viewed 19085 times
Legacy: (folder is Fighters in custom sprites folder, of course, filename as it is)
Nec_ftr02.png
Nec_ftr02.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 19085 times
The majority of ships is actually balanced now.

Necron, please add custom sprites download. I had to actually rip the fighter sprites for Legacy and Unity to be able to use your carriers, but that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to missing sprites.

Speaking of which, why does the Atheist use the Legacy sprite and is said to carry Legacies, while it is clear those are actually Unities (judging by both fighter descriptions and behaviour compared to the fighters on Scientia).

All ships done (not counting the civ/freelance ships and the station).

Good to go: Sanguine, Perspicientia, Consérvet, Progression, Particula-C, Particula-I, Salvation, Scientia, Eternity

In need of modfications (please note that modifications aren't general buffs and nerfs, but actually particular changes. Check their descriptions to find out what is wrong and recommended modifications): Stinger, Spark, Spather, Particula-M, Redemptor, Atheist

This one is mostly for you benefit this is a list of ships that are good in fleet encounters but not individual encounters. I'm not saying that property should be changed. In fact, I discourage attempts at also making them good in individual encounters: Sanguine (any fleet engagement), Conservet(any fleet engagement), Particula-M (only larger fleet engagements, but use them sparingly).

Teamcolors and exposed core: Spark (Exposed core), Stinger (Exposed core), All particulas (Teamcolors), Salvation (Teamcolors), Eternity (Teamcolors)

I'm writing it on the go and will slowly edit in more and more until I'm done with the whole fleet.

General note: The point defense is overpowered. All of it. Nerf the pd weapon stats themselves, not amount of turrets on indivdual ships. Nerf. Nerf. Nerf. Also, the armor is relatively weak on your ships, but it isn't too bad. They're still stronger than Kriken and Caclian ships and are a threat to most faction, although most of them are under-par in ship power. I don't use Ashtic ships for balance testing due to its ridiculously overpowered PD making kinetic weapons useless unless you launch HUGE swarms of missiles. Ashtic ships need real PD nerfs and will NOT be used to test your ships, or anything for that matter.

Spark and Stinger are underpowered. They deal very little to no damage, and their paper thin armor makes them die very quickly. They lose against larger ships and slightly larger gunships of a pretty well balanced faction - Ariadne Industrial Machina. Now, Ariadne ships pack a real punch, but they have paper thin armor. So you know there is something wrong when it barely does damage. Against larger ships and in somewhat larger numbers they are better, but their armor is seriously pathetic. Also, the weapons from the Stinger get blown off in pretty much few seconds even against weaker ships, leaving them defenseless. Now, I suggest you buff the damage only slightly, but increase the armor and weapon health as much as possible. I get they're ment to be cannon fodder, but they should at least survive more than five seconds after gettign attacked by a CIT corvette. Really, the Equity took virtually no damage, and sniped them one by one. Yes, sniped them. Like shooting targets. Poor things. They don't stand a chance... Against anything, to be honest.

Summary and/or recommended modifications: Spark and Stinger need urgent armor and weapon healthpoint buff. Especially weapon healthpoints on Stinger. Also, firepower buff on Spark. And why aren't voidlocks on stinger the same as those on Particula? Chnage them, so that they have the same stats as the Particula voidlocks.

Particula seems pretty good. Due to different faction naming conventions, I didn't pit it against strong corvettes and rather some ship of its equivalent size and function, because most factions call stronger and larger ship corvettes. The C-Type is quite good. It has relatively weak armor, but nothing serious, and I have no major complaints. If you wish to know more, let me know so I can test it more thouroughly, but I don't see it being much of a problem. Even if I did, I believe it would all be minor nitpicks. The I-Type also seems to be fine, nicely tearing enemy armor while not being overpowered. The M type can set up one hell of a minefield. The mines are too powerful for the amounts they come in. Now, due to the fact ship AI is smart enough to dodge them when possible, I suggest you decrease the damage rather than the amount of mines set up. Also, the mines usually miss the ship that triggers them and get launched wherever, so I imagine it being the most useful in fleet engagements rather than individual battles.

Special note: Do not put many of these in large battles. Although they are well balanced, the photon storm cannons affect the game performance. If you need them in large battles, put C-Types more often than I-Types and don't spam the field with them. In small battles and roleplay, I don't think it matters too much. 15-20 are probably max if you intend to have a small battle based on them with little to no other ships, in large fleet battles don't go over 7 or 8 for the sake of performance.
Also, their glowballs suffer from teamcolors, and so does the minelayers back glow.

Summary and/or recommended modifications: Particula I and C are good to go. Particula M needs a change in mine destructive power and SLIGHT decrease in mine deployment frequency. Also, make it so that the MIRVS shoot in all directions rather than specific ones, it will feel more like a mine and will actually work. Increase the trigger distance of the mines, too, as ship AI is smart enough to avoid them and not trigger them, so they need to have further ship detection.

Spather suffers from incredibly weak armor. As in, so pathetically weak that if a potato gun hit it, it would fall appart. The weapons, however, work quite nicely and deal a decent amount of damage, so they are fine. But the armor renders them absolutely useless.

Summary and/or recommended modifications: Health buff for armor.

Progression has no major problems. It's a nice, all round ship. Good to go.

Consérvet is good to go. Usless in individual conflicts due to it's unprecise weapons, but quite a good ship in fleet angagements due to large are efficient coverage. All in all, a balanced ship.

Perspicientia is also quite a balanced ship. I have no complaints.

Sanguine isn't much in individual ship combat due to the fact those torpedoes are so unprecise they can't hit msot ships. In fleet engagements, though, they seem good. Good to go, no modifications needed.

Salvation has teamcolors, but is otherwise good to go. It's a nice and quite powerful ship, but still balanced. Still, don't use too many of them. That thing is nasty and poses a serious threat to other ships.

Clarity is a pretty good for a Nove ship, and good display why Nove shouldn't be taken lightly.

Redemptor is not a very good ship. It is supposed to be fast and agile, but its speed and agility is useless because ti stands in one place all the time, and with its exposed frontal weapons it gets destroyed. Fast. The problem is that you opted for a fast and agile, weakly armored ship, and still kept a normal AI. With flanking AI, this ship could be baws. However, as it is now, it's uselss.

Summary and/or recommended modifications: Change the AI to flanking unless you want this ship to become cannon fodder.

Scientia is weak in direct combat, but the fighters do some decent damage, so you can always have them in the back of the formation because formranks, in which situation they do quite well. Either way, balanced.

Atheist is fine when it comes to armaments, but the AI range is absolutely ridiculous. It smashes everything from far away. The problem isn't the range of the weapons themselves even (I mean, there are other ships using those weapons), but the AI range itself. Decrease it. Also, this is a very powerful ship. Don't decrease its firepower, but use it rarely.

Summary and/or recommended modifications: Decrease the AI range. Not too much, but do so. 700 or 800 should be a good range for this thing. Also, change the fighter sprite to Unity, as it is clear those are Unities.

Eternity is okay considering it's an armored superheavy dreadnaught. When I saw how it looks, I expected it to be really OP, but it's actually just what it's meant to be: A really heavy ship. So yes, even this thing is good to go.

Neuron, suprisingly, isn't even that OP. Sure, it's very powerful, but it still loses against Maelstorm without causing too much damage.
Last edited by Lukasmah on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-Abraham Lincoln
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Thank you very much, you've obviously been very thorough in your testing.

I shall look over the issues you have raised, but don't expect an update soon (holiday season and all that).
Deus Est Mechanicus

Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

I can fix it for you if you want. I know what and where needs fixing and know solutions for the problems. And I'd test them on the go so I know the solutions work.
-Abraham Lincoln
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

As much as I would appreciate that, i'll do it myself. keeping them personal you see.
Deus Est Mechanicus