Weird speedup

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Weird speedup

Post by Lukasmah »

Recently my BSF started nehaving oddly. All BSF exes I have - Bubbleshield, Fighterbay and Official. They all have the same problem.

The problem is that the entire game speeds up. It's not that the performance is better, oh no, definitely not. The entire game - the main menu, the sandbox, campaign, everything has sped up.

The thing is - it's not a performance improvement. The game is running faster than it should, ships fighting in the background of the main menu screen destroying eachother in a matter of seconds.

It's like SPS (steps per second, the code executes and the screen refreshes once per step) are all wong, like they've been set to the wrong number. Sure, in the corner of the screen it still says 30, but it behaves like it is much faster than that.

Also, in the sandbox, accelerated time toggle no longer works. It's odd.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issues? Any ideas how to solve it?
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
th15
Administrator

Re: Weird speedup

Post by th15 »

Ummm, only thing I can think of is maybe you have vsync force disabled on your GPU drivers? I'm not sure, but GameMaker may rely on that for frame timing.

Otherwise it would mean that your OS level timer is wrong, but that comes directly from your mobo so I don't see how that could ever happen.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

th15 wrote:Ummm, only thing I can think of is maybe you have vsync force disabled on your GPU drivers? I'm not sure, but GameMaker may rely on that for frame timing.

Otherwise it would mean that your OS level timer is wrong, but that comes directly from your mobo so I don't see how that could ever happen.
Thank you, but I don't think that's it.

I have many GM games and I haven't experienced that issue with any of them...

But the issue starts at random and reverts back to normal after I restart BSF a few times, so it's just a minor annoyance and not a big deal.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I've seen this, but only in the MIRV beta and onwards.
naysayers will be shot
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

This once happened to me also about 6 months back, I restarted BSF and it was fine. The Problem hasn't reoccurred since.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Ristyo
Captain
Captain

Post by Ristyo »

seems normal to me....
The Comerlian Family

Dammit, didn't realize Starsector is really hard.