My first fleet [By JaKeRUS]

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

JaKeRUS
Ensign
Ensign

My first fleet [By JaKeRUS]

Post by JaKeRUS »

It's my first fleet, consists of few ships...

Battleship

Frigate

Battle Cruiser

Artillery Striker

Rocket Striker

Nuke launcher

If you want to download this i give you a link :arrow: DOWNLOAD :!:

Sorry for bad english :idea:
Attachments
JaKe's FLEET.zip
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 563 times
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Re: My first fleet [By JaKeRUS]

Post by Doogie12 »

For a starter, that's not bad. You did howeer make a few common beginner mistakes. Never, EVER mix retro style with the realistic sections. I see you've got the weapon sprites down, however you should edit the alpha on the modules to make them invisible. You can also see ways of making better-looking thrusters if you just peek around. As for the structures of your ships you should try to make them less spindly. Spider ships can be pulled off by skilled builders <coughSWScough> but for now, try to make it so that you actually have some meat on them.
Most other things just come with practice and understanding, so look around. You should check out ships by Anna, STARSTRUCK, JWA, and myself (these are the semi-active experienced members...if you can call me experienced) to get a feel for how ships should be constructed.
naysayers will be shot
JaKeRUS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JaKeRUS »

Ok, I will take it into consideration.

You did howeer make a few common beginner mistakes.
I know -_-
I see you've got the weapon sprites down, however you should edit the alpha on the modules to make them invisible.
I already did this on next ships like this

But i have one problem with size of the ships because I can't normally make big ships :(
Attachments
Commandor.shp
(7.71 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
JaKeRUS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JaKeRUS »

And its my new Nuke launcher TACTICAL !

And new Cruiser Cornal!

Attachments
Cornal.shp
(13.39 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Nuke launcher TACT.shp
(2.07 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
JaKeRUS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JaKeRUS »

I've done Serinity Cruiser :!:

Attachments
Serinity Cruiser.shp
(10.43 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

As of these latest, I'd say you are improving. Rather than critique each ship, I think I'll just point out the common shortcoming, something I think every builder goes through at some point.

Right now your ships are very two-dimensional. One of the main barrier between good and great ships is building them with three dimensions in mind. Obviously, this is a 2-D game, so that can be difficult.

Just as an example, this ship by Lactose Tolerant is a great example of depthing. See how, from a bird's eye view, there's a very clear "top" and "bottom"? Both with the shading of the pieces and the use of space/layering, it's possible to get a sense of what this ship would really look like in three dimensions.

Do you see what I'm talking about? Good luck with it.
JaKeRUS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JaKeRUS »

Ok. Well. Just now I still learn and practise. And I listen your advices and waiting for others. And then i would make "great ships"... Just help me with advices...
JohnWildkins
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by JohnWildkins »

JaKeRUS wrote:Ok. Well. Just now I still learn and practise. And I listen your advices and waiting for others. And then i would make "great ships"... Just help me with advices...
I'm rather new myself so I can't really help much but I do know a couple things:

1) Try to shade different colors to help with the effect of 3D. You can take a look at my ships in my sig and you can see a bit of definition because of color (not a whole lot, because again, I'm new myself). Use darker colors like dark gray for lower sections and use light gray or white for higher sections. Easy trick to help with depth.

2) Other than that, just remember to alpha 0 your modules and your thrusters, and be sure to not overload your ships with weapons. A few bigger guns are much better than 40-50 blasters.

That's about all I can help you with, good luck in the future :)
Completed Project: TRN "Raven" Battlecruiser
WIP Project: n/a
Next Scheduled Project based on Poll: n/a

Terran Crisis Ship Pack:viewtopic.php?t=5912

Terran Republic Navy Major Engineer
Inner Empire Commonwealth Navy Ship Architect

SpaceTech Industries Majority Shareholder and Contributer
Scav'nga Flu'tiller Mekkerboi
JaKeRUS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JaKeRUS »

Translander
KamikadzeDestroyer
Teon
XFire
Battlestation Nollington

some new stuff :idea:
jaypee
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jaypee »

Im new too. Try to keep it in one colour but use different shades, darker for the deeper ones and lighter from the highest.
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

jaypee wrote:Im new too. Try to keep it in one colour but use different shades, darker for the deeper ones and lighter from the highest.
I'm new too ,but try not to necro (revive threads from along time ago) :? . I grant you that most threads here have been inactive for ages anyway. On a seperate note; Welcome, now i have someone to talk to here :wink:
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

This thread's a bit too old, but considering how inactive the forums are I don't particularly mind. And hey, maybe you guys posting will encourage others to post as well.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.